Notices
ECU Flash

Factory ECU Dual Pump Control

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2009 | 08:28 AM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by fostytou
This may sound silly, but is there a discreet output on the USDM cars for the second solenoid in a dual solenoid boost control system? If so, I think it might work really well to just set the DC to 100% for the second solenoid and tie this output to the switching relay. Then your minimum load for boost control also becomes your 2nd pump load switch-on point.

Am I making this too easy in my head?

(we could even set it to 128% DC just in case)
Also, I'm not sure if USDM evo IX still have the ICS output on the ECU, just not wired to anything. With the tephra mods this would be another alternative way to do this without too much trouble. Jack posted about using it here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/7557073-post10.html
...and I'm pretty sure the settings are still there in the IX rom.

Anyone have any input on either of these two bits of info?
Old Mar 2, 2010 | 01:15 AM
Evolved Member

From: Lattitude 48.38°, Longitude 17.58°, Altitude 146m = Slovakia, for common dude
I have tried to search for code as a followup of this.
For me it seems Pin 21 is controlled by MUT_9B & 0x1, if anyone of you can confirm my assumption via logging, I may have a look futher in disassy, what conditions are affecting it.

Last edited by acamus; Mar 2, 2010 at 05:20 AM.
Old Mar 2, 2010 | 09:07 AM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by acamus
I have tried to search for code as a followup of this.
For me it seems Pin 21 is controlled by MUT_9B & 0x1, if anyone of you can confirm my assumption via logging, I may have a look futher in disassy, what conditions are affecting it.
I'll try to grab a log with this later today...

<DataListItem DataLog="Y" Color="" Display="Fuel Pump V Relay" LogReference="BrakesOn" RequestID="9B" Eval="x bit 1" Unit="On/Off" MetricEval="" MetricUnit="" ResponseBytes="1" GaugeMin="0" GaugeMax="1" ChartMin="0" ChartMax="1" ScalingFactor="10" Notes="Shows when the ECU switches voltage to fuel pump from 9v to 12+v" Priority="10" Visible="False" />
Old Mar 2, 2010 | 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

I logged it as 1-Byte and it was either 0 or 1 for all conditions I encountered. I have all the emission control stuff disabled.

Most of the time, it was 0. Below are the conditions I noticed it to be 1.
Decel
Idle
Lightly revving from idle with load at 20, it would switch from 1 to 0 at 2400 RPM.

I don't know if I found the right sub or not, but it looks kind of nasty.

Last edited by 03whitegsr; Mar 2, 2010 at 12:01 PM.
Old Mar 2, 2010 | 11:35 AM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by 03whitegsr
I logged it as 1-Byte and it was either 0 or 1 for all conditions I encountered. I have all the emission control stuff disabled.

Most of the time, it was 0. Below are the conditions I noticed it to be 1.
Decel
Idle
Lightly revving from idle with load at 20, it would switch from 1 to 0 at 2400 RPM.
Did you happen to notice any kind of correspondence with load at light RPM?

I'm guessing it might be activated very low on the stock pump control, just lowered essentially for decel and idle. It is probably activated by cruise because the end user will not see much of a difference and the flow is there if the pump needs it. I'm guessing we wouldn't see much of a difference by raising this to the upper end of cruise levels.
Old Mar 2, 2010 | 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

I didn't catch a log at cruise speeds. It was mostly a quick drive around the block and then free revving in the parking lot.

I'll grab another log tonight. It seemed like almost any amount of throttle would make the switch.

Last edited by 03whitegsr; Mar 2, 2010 at 12:58 PM.
Old Mar 2, 2010 | 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

It is 0 at cruise conditions.

I could get it to go to 1 while driving under 2000 RPM with like<30 load.
Other wise, decel and idle where about the only time it's 1.

I would guess it was done almost entirely for noise and maybe reducing fuel vapor emissions.
Old Mar 2, 2010 | 08:13 PM
Evolved Member

And to minimize any chance of fpr overrun at idle due to the high flow fuel pump.
Old Mar 2, 2010 | 09:09 PM
Evolved Member

It goes to full voltage at such a low IPW and RPM anyway that I don't think the fuel demand would be any higher then at idle and it's likely just for noise and possibly reducing fuel vapor.

Just looking at the throttle almost switches the state.

If 0x01 on MUT9B is in fact the pump relay anyway.

I'm thinking they probably just designed the fuel system to handle a larger pump, unlike the 1G and 2G.
Old Mar 3, 2010 | 06:01 AM
Evolved Member

Right, coming from DSM and the fpr overrun issue, and with the Evo having a higher flowing pump as well, I think Mitsu actually designed the circuit for that reason. I think they just wanted a lower voltage at idle only.

Even though the IPW is low during a light cruise, the fuel demand is still higher at cruise. Also, the step in IPW logging is pretty big it's hard to see the difference between idle and cruise. In general your fuel demand is going to be at least double at cruise than at idle, depending on your idle and cruise RPM and your vacuum at idle and cruise.
Old Mar 3, 2010 | 07:26 AM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by l2r99gst
Right, coming from DSM and the fpr overrun issue, and with the Evo having a higher flowing pump as well, I think Mitsu actually designed the circuit for that reason. I think they just wanted a lower voltage at idle only.

Even though the IPW is low during a light cruise, the fuel demand is still higher at cruise. Also, the step in IPW logging is pretty big it's hard to see the difference between idle and cruise. In general your fuel demand is going to be at least double at cruise than at idle, depending on your idle and cruise RPM and your vacuum at idle and cruise.
Right, but isn't it at the lower 9v state at cruise?

Unfortunately I won't be able to log since this happened yesterday...

Old Mar 3, 2010 | 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

From: Lattitude 48.38°, Longitude 17.58°, Altitude 146m = Slovakia, for common dude
No problem I have found the same in the V6 ROM ECU that I have on the bench, I will try to get the control pin via logging

I hope nobody got injured, now you have a good reason to do some styling
Old Mar 3, 2010 | 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Nope
Old Mar 3, 2010 | 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

Unfortunately I won't be able to log since this happened yesterday...

Ah....damn man. I'm sorry to see that. Everyone OK?

How bad is the damage?

-Bink
Old Mar 3, 2010 | 01:07 PM
EvoM Community Team

Nope
It is 0 at cruise conditions.
? Am I missing something?

Originally Posted by binky
Ah....damn man. I'm sorry to see that. Everyone OK?

How bad is the damage?

-Bink
I should have let the guy hit me. He swerved to avoid a piece of metal. I swerved to avoid him. A few fishtails and into the median backwards . Front and rear passenger side are pretty screwed up, front pass suspension off the car. We'll see what happens, friends with similar damage are saying probably totaled.

I'm a little sore, but frankly nothing more than some exercise does to me.

Sorry for the OT!

Quick Reply: Factory ECU Dual Pump Control