Notices

Evo X Logging

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2009, 09:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kooldino
I just tried some logs for practice with EvoScan and found something odd. If I go to "C:\Program Files\EvoScan\EvoScan v2.6 Beta17\SavedDataLogs" I will only see two sample logs.
I get this too. I delete the sample logs and they reappear too. So dam annoying....
Old Jul 26, 2009, 10:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not the mode23 stuff.
this should help: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ml#post7324480
Old Jul 27, 2009, 12:46 AM
Former Sponsor

Kooldino, yeah its crazy Vista behavour... All I do in EvoScan code is use StartupAppPath + \SavedDataLogs\ so I'm guessing Vista is hacking my StartupAppPath to put it where it likes. no wonder people are waiting for Windows7 other than me creating a folder in "My Documents" called "\EvoScanLogs\", thats the only thing I can think of doing that might get around this.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 02:05 AM
Former Sponsor

I just tried some logs for practice with EvoScan and found something odd. If I go to "C:\Program Files\EvoScan\EvoScan v2.6 Beta17\SavedDataLogs" I will only see two sample logs.

However, if I go to "Graphs & Maptracer>Analyze .csv", I will get a list of the same exact directory (I verified it was the same) with the two sample logs PLUS all of the logs that I've taken.

What the hell?

Edit - I ended up finding them in "C:\Users\Dino\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Prog ram Files\EvoScan\EvoScan v2.6 Beta17\SavedDataLogs"

I guess this is some kind of Vista thing? The original default "C:\Program Files\EvoScan\EvoScan v2.6 Beta17\SavedDataLogs" does exist, but it's not being used. Don't ask me why.
This is probably the wrong thread for this, but I'll post the reasons I found...

I found this response on google:
It's really pretty simple. Just Right Click on the Icon for the program or it's shortcut and go to Properties. On the Compatibility tab at the bottom is a check box to select to Run as Administrator. There is also an option at the top to run it in a mode from a prior operating system. I would recommend also setting this to XP service pack 2 mode.
I also found this:

Data Redirection
With so much emphasis on running as a standard user, there’s some concern about whether common LOB applications will function correctly. To address this concern, the data redirection feature facilitates application compatibility. Data redirection, also known as data virtualization, provides a driver for the file system and registry that will redirect writes targeted at certain protected locations, such as HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software or %ProgramFiles%, to the user’s profile.
For example, if a member of the Users group is logged onto a machine and runs an application that writes a log file back to the Program Files directory, this write will fail. Why? Because the access control list (ACL) on the Program Files directory does not allow standard users to write to that location. When the data redirection file system driver receives the failed return code from this write, it redirects the write to a copy of the file made in the virtual store, a location in the user’s profile. An application that is marked with a run level in its manifest or that is a natively compiled 64-bit app is assumed to not require virtualization, so data redirection is disabled for that app. Windows binaries are marked with a run level, thereby disabling virtualization, and it is a requirement of the Windows Vista logo program that certified apps can run without data virtualization.

Also check the status bar of EvoScan, EvoScan when first run, should be setting the ACLs on the EvoScan folder for full R/W access. Check the status bar for Vista security status when you first open EvoScan.

Last edited by evo4mad; Jul 27, 2009 at 02:07 AM.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 03:23 AM
Evolving Member

Alright, I downloaded it. Is there anything else I need to do before getting starting logging?
Old Jul 27, 2009, 06:51 AM
Evolving Member

buy a tactrix cable and keyspan serial to usb adapter and your set.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 07:37 AM
Evolving Member

@evo4mad - Thank you! I figured it was some Vista security thing (and I even changed the permissions on my real Program Files\EvoScan directory to try to circumvent this), but I'll try your suggestion about running it in compatibility mode tonight. Damn Vista.

I'm starting to suspect that I edited my ROM ID XML file properly as well, but I suspect that Vista is looking at another copy of this due to the same data virtualization garbage. I'll give it a whirl this evening and let you fellas know.

In the meantime, does anyone have a list of the extra parameters that are loggable with mode 23 enabled ?
Old Jul 27, 2009, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoX_SA
And a wideband if you do not have one yet.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoX_SA
I found another usb-serial to work. I don't know the name....I picked it up as some local computer shop and it works perfect. I'll find out the name and post it up.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 01:41 PM
Evolving Member

I have a usb>serial that came with the cpu I just bought. It's on a toshiba. Don't know if that would work or not? The cable is on order and should be here this week.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 01:50 PM
Former Sponsor

28th July 2009: EvoScan v2.6 Beta18 released!
Download EvoScan Beta18 here(registered users only. Unregistered users get your registration number from www.evoscan.com)
- Auto selects "OpenPort" cable for ecu logging when a openport cable as well as usb-serial adapter is connected.
- New USDM Mode23 Items
- New JDM Mode23 Items
- New JDM RS Mode23 Items
(thanks mrfred/SiC)
Old Jul 27, 2009, 02:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo4mad
Download EvoScan Beta18 here(registered users only. Unregistered users get your registration number from www.evoscan.com)
- Auto selects "OpenPort" cable for ecu logging when a openport cable as well as usb-serial adapter is connected.
- New USDM Mode23 Items
- New JDM Mode23 Items
(thanks mrfred/SiC)
Sweet! Do we still have to do the typical Mode23 hack to the XML and reupload the ROM to the ECU?
Old Jul 27, 2009, 02:03 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Sweet! Do we still have to do the typical Mode23 hack to the XML and reupload the ROM to the ECU?
The ROM hack doesn't need to be reapplied or updated.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 02:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo4mad
- New USDM Mode23 Items
- New JDM Mode23 Items
(thanks mrfred/SiC)
What is the difference? Excuse my ignorance. I just now started researching everything on this. It's crazy. I just downloaded the 17 last night, lol.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 04:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Excalibur
What is the difference? Excuse my ignorance. I just now started researching everything on this. It's crazy. I just downloaded the 17 last night, lol.
The difference is exactly what evo4mad posted. The auto-select and new mode23 data items that you can log. I haven't personally looked into it to see what additional data items it can log.

Last edited by LaXGSR; Jul 27, 2009 at 04:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Evo X Logging