Notices
ECU Flash

Comp. shuts down, when hooking up WB?.?.?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2009 | 03:38 PM
Evolved Member

Comp. shuts down, when hooking up WB?.?.?

So I read a while back that your not supposed to hook up the usb cable to the WB when the car is running? Is this true??? I had some1 pretty much laugh @ me when I said that...

Any way, so I have been hooking up both cables Tactrix and WB, while the car was running, w/ no issues, untill a couple weeks ago...
If I have evoscan open, and try to plug in the WB usb cable to the laptop, it makes my comp. shut down. (unexpected error) So I thought maybe it was cause evoscan was running... Well this morning, warm up my car w/ remote start, go down stairs, hook up the tactrix cable, plug in the WB cable, and it shut the comp. down twice, before it would allow me to use the laptop... This is w/ Nothing open. WTF??? And note I do not dis connect the WB cable until the car is shut off!
This is starting to annoy the heck out of me...

Has this happened to any1? Any input would be appreciated!
TIA
Old Jun 24, 2009 | 03:50 PM
Former Sponsor

fast freedie recommended me to not depend on laptop battery and to hook up a charger to my laptop when doing this , can u give that a try
Old Jun 24, 2009 | 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gfng
fast freedie recommended me to not depend on laptop battery and to hook up a charger to my laptop when doing this , can u give that a try
unfortuneately... no charger
Old Jun 24, 2009 | 07:54 PM
Evolving Member

Some motherboards have a voltage over-current protection, where it will shut down the machine if there is too much draw from the 5v usb source. Neither the tactrix or WB should draw power, but perhaps there is a short in the cable.

More likely the usb controller is flaky or the drivers are messed up, and it may think there is an overload, or just flat out be acting ****tily. If you recently installed any windows updates, its possible that during the update it overwrote a usb driver with a corrupted one. I believe SP3 has updates for usb, but I could be wrong.

I would first try reinstalling the device drivers for the tactrix and serial-usb adapter for your wideband. Also reinstall your chipset drivers, which will include your usb controller drivers.

If you have other usb ports like on the other side of the laptop or something try those, since they are possibly a second controller, or the some drivers could be reloaded.

Go to event viewer (for xp, right click my computer-->manage-->event viewer-->system). Look for any errors there.

If you are running XP and want to try and stop the auto-restart and see what happens, go to system properties-->advanced-->startup and recovery-->and uncheck automatically restart. You will need to restart for that to take effect. You will likely just get a blue screen, with a microsoftized error description.

Does it restart with just one of the cables plugged in, or only with both? I'm on the road in an RV currently in Bryce Canyon, UT, so I may not get back to this thread, but perhaps others can chime in.