Notices
ECU Flash

96530706 + DMA +LiveMap + SD - working

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2009, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by l2r99gst
That looks OK to me. Is this going into your Galant? Or do you have an Evo?

If it's an Evo, I'm not sure what is wrong...if it's in your Galant, I would have to guess the wiring harnesses and sensor pins are in different locations?

Its in my Galant. wiring isn't the issue.....i have been running 9055 for the past 6 months without any issues. Can you send me a copy of your rom so I can try it out?
Old Jul 28, 2009, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
OK, I did a log with 16 bit map and it's still pretty smooth during the jagged IPW. The 16 bit map varies maybe by 1-2 kPa. So. something isn't quite adding up.

Just for testing purposes, I turned off Tephra's map averaging and reworked my VE tables to try to even more closely match my MAF logs. The issue did seem to become a little less noticeable, but the logs still show the jagged IPW for no apparent reason.

I will read through the original SD threads, but how is the IPW calculated with the SD patch, so that I can log everything and see what is the cause? Here is a screenshot of a log with the 16 bit map. In 0.15 seconds, the IPW goes from a low of 2.80ms to a high of 4.40ms (shown in the boxes in the screenshot). In 0.08s later, back down to 2.80ms, and then 0.08s later back to 4.40ms again. The MAP shows about a 1.5kPa difference and the RPM shows about a 50 RPM difference. Everything points to the fact that the IPW should be the same, yet it is jumping up and down like this. Once I get out of the culprit RPM/MAP range, the IPW smooths out. At idle, it is dead flat.

Does anyone else running SD see this issue at all? Mind posting up a log of a cruise going through low to high RPM, lower to higher map?

Thanks,
Eric
Attached Thumbnails 96530706 + DMA +LiveMap + SD - working-sd-issue-16bitmap.jpg  

Last edited by l2r99gst; Jul 28, 2009 at 04:18 PM.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 04:35 PM
Evolving Member

I haven't Played with this since last weekend so i'm not quite that far yet. I haven't been able to get enough fuel in it to make it out of the driveway yet, It stays way too lean & goes leaner on throttle tip in. I increased Async_vs_TPSDELTA to no avail. I got a xml put together today & the 96530706 ready to load . May give it another shot tomarrow, live map will help a bunch.

Do you think having a Rescaled Airflow/HZ Raw scaling table could create problems with trying to dial in SD? The reason I ask is because of the Alternate tuning method using the MAF compensation table.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

Make sure you don't have the load limit removal patch in place. That was my issue when I was first testing this for mrfred, and based on your description, it sounds like your issue as well.

It's the patch where you put 0x0009 to remove the 380 load limit. You have to put that back to it's stock value.

By the way, I found the IPW calculations I was looking for in John's thread about maf pulse to IPW:
In summary IPW is calculated from:
AFRMAP*AIRTEMP*BARO*MAFSCALING*MAFSMTHG*TEMPBAROAI RFLOWLKUP*INJSCALING*MAFSOURCEMAINxMAFMULTIPWARMUP

(* WARMUP*COOLANT*MAFMULTIPWARMUPxLOADBASEDMULT*O2FEE DBACK)
+ accel1 - accel 2 (still to be fully worked out)
+INJDEADTIMELOOKUP*INJLAGRES
However, I think I will need John to translate that for me and what had changed in the SD implementation. I need to get to the bottom of why my IPW is so jagged in that map/rpm range.

Last edited by l2r99gst; Jul 28, 2009 at 06:08 PM.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 03:37 AM

Make sure you don't have the load limit removal patch in place. That was my issue when I was first testing this for mrfred, and based on your description, it sounds like your issue as well.

It's the patch where you put 0x0009 to remove the 380 load limit. You have to put that back to it's stock value.
I have searched for the code to put in the xml file, but can't find it. Can you post it up so I can double check my rom as well?
Old Jul 29, 2009, 04:55 AM
Evolving Member

By the way, I found the IPW calculations I was looking for in John's thread about maf pulse to IPW:

However, I think I will need John to translate that for me and what had changed in the SD implementation. I need to get to the bottom of why my IPW is so jagged in that map/rpm range.
Nope, I just double checked & it is reset back to stock (0x2bA1) I'm going to load the new ROM with a stock Airflow Hz Scaling table in this afternoon when I wake up & play with it some more, It's probably something simple

Originally Posted by tom04841
I have searched for the code to put in the xml file, but can't find it. Can you post it up so I can double check my rom as well?
Set to 0x0009

<table name="Set to 9 to remove load limit" category="Misc Limits" address="27824" type="1D" level="1" scaling="Hex16"/>
Old Jul 29, 2009, 05:45 AM
Evolved Member

gear head - If you are talking about your maf scaling table or smoothing table, then yes that will affect SD.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

I should post up a new version of LiveMap that automatically charts and displays data for up to 34 items from your data tab. Each item will have a checkbox to chart it or not.

Just have one more thing to figure out-how to autoscale the graph after an item is unticked. It already auto scales when ticked, but stays at that scale when unticked. I think I know how to do it. If I can figure it out and test today, I will post up the new .exe later.

Edit: OK, I think I have it all figured out. I will give it a test today after work and post it up if it works.

Last edited by l2r99gst; Jul 29, 2009 at 10:33 AM.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 02:57 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the input Eric, I got fuel now I just need to find a decent amount of time to get this thing dialed in. If I come across anything similar to what you are experiencing I'll post up a log.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

OK, here is my latest revision of the LiveMap exe. Just copy this to the folder you are running your current LiveMap from and run this exe instead. I'm still going to go back and change the colors of the curves to make sure all are dark enough to be read, maybe get rid of or add different line symbols, etc, but for now, this should help you with charting, and at the very least, with live data display.

Here are couple of screenshots to show what is going on. First is my Data tab, which shows the config table. Notice the entries in that table. The second screenshot is the chart tab, which labels the curves and live display text boxes based on that table. The evals also come from that table. The checkboxes next to each live display data text box is whether you want that data charted or not.

Eric
Attached Thumbnails 96530706 + DMA +LiveMap + SD - working-livemap-chart2.jpg   96530706 + DMA +LiveMap + SD - working-livemap-chart.jpg  
Attached Files
Old Jul 30, 2009, 02:33 AM

Thanks for the updated live map app, it's much better being able to select the graphed items. I only wish I knew some VB programming so I could add some useful updates myself rather than relying on others to progress the development of this.

One thing I noticed last night, and I'm not sure if it's a mistake I made yet or not, I have the analog output from my LM-1 connected to the 2nd Lambda sensor input to allow logging. Using my current ROM (9626009 with Live Map added) this works fine. When I switched to my created 96530706 (with Live Map & DMA, but not SD added yet), the value no longer reads back from the ECU in the live map app. I'm pretty sure my addresses are correct, using the RAM MUT table, and the hardware deefinitely works as swapping back to my old ROM has it working again straight away. I should have thought last night and tested with just the straight 96530706 logging via Evoscan, to see if the error occurs after the DMA code is added or if it exists in the original tephra ROM, I'll test that tonight if I get a chance.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 05:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Eric, there have been so many changes to your ECU, I wondered whether you were able to test an SD ECU as mrfred posted for your ROM to see if that did the same?

The other problem is I didn't write any of the code for your ECU and it is feels so long ago since I coded & tested this I literally cannot remember.

From memory, the SD calculation interferes with very little which is why I would hope to exclude it as a cause with minimal logging or running dummy values through a simulator.

MAP is measured 10 bit, used as an input to the MAP VE and calibration table, the interpolated result is used. This is multiplied by the RPM VE and the result stored in a variable that usually would limit the load. From this the ECU calculates another variable that is used for IPW (MAFMULTIPWARMUP or something like that), but I don't interfere with that.

The two NOPs in the MAF routine reroute the code so that what used to be the load and IPW limits are instead written to the two variables.

The rest is just error removal etc.

So the actual calculation can be validated at the time your having the problem as:

Load is proportional to MAP VE output * RPM VE

If you see this rule being obeyed during your IPW glitches then I don't think it is from the SD patch unless mrfred did something differently to how I coded it, or something else you're doing is interfering.

As said, depending on the spec of your car I'd go to as near a standard ECU as possible that will run your engine and just put the SD patch on and see whether it still does it.

Sorry I can't pinpoint your problem easily.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 05:50 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the input, John. I will eventually figure this out. I was just trying to hopefully eliminate as much of the standard troubleshooting routine as possible. I will start back at the beginning with a fresh SD ROM patch only and test again. I may even point the VE maps back to the ROM addresses to see if that makes any difference. I have several things to test...just wanted to maybe take a shortcut to the solution.

To help me out, I am hoping others that test 96530706 can post some logs as well. At least that way I can pinpoint whether it's something with the SD patch on this ROM or not.

By the way, I'm sure my VB code isn't that great, but I updated your LiveMap app (see above), so if you are tuning any Evos in the future and don't have time to update the app, I have updated the charting page to automatically grab the values for the text boxes and charts, with the ability to turn on/off each item in the chart.

Thanks,
Eric
Old Jul 30, 2009, 06:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Look like some ace updates Eric!

I wondered if the second load value (the IPW calc one, it is MAFSOURCEMAINxMAFMULTIPWARMUP) may not be being updated, but apart from the NOP I think I just used the ECU's code to calculate this from MAFSOURCEMAIN.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 06:11 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah, that's why I was asking about how the IPW is calculated, but I think I first have to do what you said and test a fresh ROM with just SD and go from there. If that has the same problem, then hopefully someone else can test this ROM as well and post logs. If they too have this issue, then I can ask mrfred to look at the SD code once more, to make sure that nothing is awry. Obviously, if I or others test this ROM as OK somehwhere along that path, then I know it's something in my ROM.

Is there any way to log the MAFSOURCEMAINxMAFMULTIPWARMUP? Any kind of a RAM address that holds that calc?

Quick Reply: 96530706 + DMA +LiveMap + SD - working