Notices
ECU Flash

Evo8 ECU in a 1G DSM in the works!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2011, 05:51 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 92LaserRs
On another note, anyone running 9417 in a 1g DSM without issues? Want to ditch the 9653 because of jitter issues with the SD 2.0
Pretty sure you will have CEL's that you can't get rid of with that rom.

-Jamie
(aka Jack_of_trades)
Old Aug 6, 2011, 06:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thats what i was afraid of, but was also hoping to be able to disable most of them via peripheries. Guess ill have to try it and see.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by stunt2
no problem

Evo3--------Evo8

pin 40(wastegate sol.) ---- to pin 11
pin 8 (fuel pump relay) ----- to pin 22
pin 71 (gound) ---- join with wire at pin 26 (ground)
pin 33 (fuel press sol.) ---- to pin 3
pin 22 (AC comp.relay) + pin 11 (fan relay) ------- pin 8 (AC comp.relay)
pin 3+16 (rad fan high/low) -------- pin 32
add pin and wire to pin 79 (flash pin)

these are the changes I've made to swap E8 ecu in my E3. I think DSM's wiring should be pretty same
Pin 3 should go to 32 and 16 to 34 or vice versa. I don't recall off hand. This will give you high/low control just like the original setup.

Its also not necessary to connect 11 to 8 because the 8 ECU controls 32 and 34 based on A/C .

The ground at 71 doesn't need to be connected as the 8 ECU doesn't need it. According to what Thomas Dorris from ECM Link told me, this wire is for the park/neutral switch code which is in the Evo 3 ECU code even though obviously they never came as autos.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 09:49 AM
Evolving Member

So i switched back to 96531706, the jitter was driving me nuts on Sd 2.0, i hope they eventually get that worked out.

Anyways, while setting things back up on my 1706 rom, trying to get the idle dialed in (a/c on has always been an issue) i noticed something. Without the a/c on my idle is pretty decent and generally the car never stalls. With the a/c on i have always been chasing the clutch in stalling issue and figured it was just an issue with ISCV tables getting dialed in correctly. Today though, i noticed with the a/c switched ON, my ISC steps stayed the same as they did with the AC OFF. So i decided to log the AC Switch and AC relay in Evoscan. AC relay never changes from 0. AC switch irradictly changes from 1 to 0 whether the AC is on or off.

As per my previous post the only wiring going to the ecu for ac is as follows

For the AC I have
EVO Pin DSM Pin
08 --------- 65
24 --------- XX
31 --------- xx
32 --------- xx
34 --------- xx
45 --------- 07

I guess working perfectly was an overstatement!

Any ideas or suggestions?
Old Aug 15, 2011, 08:54 PM
Evolving Member

So i switched back to 96531706, the jitter was driving me nuts on Sd 2.0, i hope they eventually get that worked out.

Anyways, while setting things back up on my 1706 rom, trying to get the idle dialed in (a/c on has always been an issue) i noticed something. Without the a/c on my idle is pretty decent and generally the car never stalls. With the a/c on i have always been chasing the clutch in stalling issue and figured it was just an issue with ISCV tables getting dialed in correctly. Today though, i noticed with the a/c switched ON, my ISC steps stayed the same as they did with the AC OFF. So i decided to log the AC Switch and AC relay in Evoscan. AC relay never changes from 0. AC switch irradictly changes from 1 to 0 whether the AC is on or off.

As per my previous post the only wiring going to the ecu for ac is as follows

For the AC I have
EVO Pin DSM Pin
08 --------- 65
24 --------- XX
31 --------- xx
32 --------- xx
34 --------- xx
45 --------- 07

I guess working perfectly was an overstatement!

Any ideas or suggestions?
This was an issue that had been brought up in the thread on DSMtuners for putting an EVO8 ecu in a 2G DSM. This is what I found that maybe we can get someone here to verify for us... http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/151864807-post454.html basically comes down to that there is an extra wire that runs from the EVO's AC controller to the EVO's engine ECU that I believe lets the AC controller tell the ECU that there is an extra load on the engine. This wire isn’t present on the 2G cars so I very highly doubt it is in a 1G car either. I just got my car back on the road again after its little hiccup the other week and haven’t had the AC serviced yet so I haven’t had the chance to verify this information.... however I would suppose that if we ask someone really politely here on EvoM, they might be kind enough to test some wiring for us... I am fairly certain that applying 12v to pin 24 at the ECU will simulate the high load from the AC compressor however it would suck greatly to fry my ECU without knowing for sure. If someone with an EV is willing to test voltage @ pin 24 of the ECU when they turn the AC on and off for us we would appreciate it greatly…
Old Aug 15, 2011, 09:49 PM
Evolving Member

Ok, according to what im seeing in the FSM, Pin 24 at the EVO ecu ties to the AC Control Unit at Pin 5.

This appears to tell the ECU when the Ac is under Hi or Low Load. It just says that under Low Load (Ac load that is) it has Positive Battery Voltage, and under Hi Ac Load 0v. I would guess that 0v would mean ground since currently it has 0v since its wired to nothing.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 10:09 PM
Evolving Member

Ok, according to what im seeing in the FSM, Pin 24 at the EVO ecu ties to the AC Control Unit at Pin 5.

This appears to tell the ECU when the Ac is under Hi or Low Load. It just says that under Low Load (Ac load that is) it has Positive Battery Voltage, and under Hi Ac Load 0v. I would guess that 0v would mean ground since currently it has 0v since its wired to nothing.
Depends... if what the EVO AC controller detects as a low load as being the engine running under a certain rpm (say below 2000 for example) and high load as above that rpm, then you would have from pin 4 to ECU 0 voltage when AC off and 12V when AC on and from pin 5 to ECU 12V at RPM range from idle to whatever the low - high switch point is (2000rpm example) and 0 voltage above that... or at least that is how I understand it. Problem is that without an EVO AC controller to connect and verify I have no way for sure to tell. I suppose that if we knew what bit to log we could request that from the EVO community. That may be easier that using a multi-meter… however I have no idea where to start to figure out what bit to log in evoscan.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 06:24 AM
Evolving Member

The way i read it was the "load" is referring to the compressor load, not engine load. Hopefully this is the key to the ac stalling issues!
Old Aug 17, 2011, 05:07 PM

I know this probably a dumb question but oh well. A buddy of mine said in ECMlink you can do the base timing in the software itself. My question is can Ecuflash do that as well?? Or should I just do the whole alligator grounding setup??

Thanks Alex
Old Aug 17, 2011, 05:30 PM
Evolving Member

Its under actuators in evoscan to set base timing, then you also have the ignition maps them selves where you can specify what timing you want and where.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 06:03 PM

Meaning I don't have to do anything in the engine bay correct?? Just get the car up to running temp and make my changes right?

I'm still learning and understanding everything so pardon my ignorance haha.

Thanks Alex
Old Aug 18, 2011, 05:30 AM
Evolving Member

Well you will have to adjust the CAS to make sure you are seeing 5* during the testing procedure just like you normally would. Only difference is the ecu is taking care of the wiring.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 06:21 PM

Thanks for the reply 92laserRs!
Old Aug 18, 2011, 09:10 PM

hmmm
Old Aug 22, 2011, 06:19 PM

So I tried to start my car today for the first time with the E8 ecu and it wouldn't start. I was able to set the base timing and start my car with my stock ecu. Could it be because of the immobilzier key??

Thanks Alex

Quick Reply: Evo8 ECU in a 1G DSM in the works!