ECU Flash

3 Port Boost Solenoid

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2009, 10:10 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by DBallz
OMG bump for all the answers.

GrimmSpeed please post some hardcore data and test results or even better if you know of any evos with your solenoid. I'm not doubting the product cause MAP sells it I'm just trying to get the best product to work with.
It is good to hear that they spec'd the solenoid for an elevated temperature environment. The standard MAC solenoids are only rated to operate at 60 deg C which is easily surpassed in the area of the engine compartment where the solenoid is most likely to be placed. They should have been given latency and coil resistance values from MAC, but those are only part of the performance story. The most important part of the story is the bleed characteristics of the solenoid. The big issue with the MAC solenoid that I tested is that it actually flows too much air which causes wider swings in WGA pressure and reduces the usable WGDC tuning range. It might be helpful if Grimmspeed could post up the Cv of their solenoid. That could at least be compared to some of the other MAC solenoids to see if its going to have the same high air flow rate.

Last edited by mrfred; Sep 9, 2009 at 10:16 PM.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

Location: South Beach, FL / Miami, FL / Pt. St. Lucie, FL / NYC
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfred
It is good to hear that they spec'd the solenoid for an elevated temperature environment. The standard MAC solenoids are only rated to operate at 60 deg C which is easily surpassed in the area of the engine compartment where the solenoid is most likely to be placed. They should have been given latency and coil resistance values from MAC, but those are only part of the performance story. The most important part of the story is the bleed characteristics of the solenoid. The big issue with the MAC solenoid that I tested is that it actually flows too much air which causes wider swings in WGA pressure and reduces the usable WGDC tuning range. It might be helpful if Grimmspeed could post up the Cv of their solenoid. That could at least be compared to some of the other MAC solenoids to see if its going to have the same high air flow rate.
I reached out to Chris @MAP and he told me someone will be testing very soon....all in all it looks to be very promising.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ve...enoid-evo.html
Old Oct 5, 2009, 06:19 AM
Evolved Member

So after a bit of research and speaking to my tuner I'm going to order the GrimmSpeed 3 port solenoid. But I was wondering about something that I thought was pretty important. I know all 3 ports must be installed 1 port goes to boost source off the turbo, 2 the wastegate, and 3 routed back to the intake stream. Now I have a problem with that 3rd port my intake is the FP Intake for the 80mm red turbo and it doesn't have a nipple for that. Do I have to manually add this nipple or can I tee it off somewhere else?
Old Oct 5, 2009, 01:55 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by DBallz
So after a bit of research and speaking to my tuner I'm going to order the GrimmSpeed 3 port solenoid. But I was wondering about something that I thought was pretty important. I know all 3 ports must be installed 1 port goes to boost source off the turbo, 2 the wastegate, and 3 routed back to the intake stream. Now I have a problem with that 3rd port my intake is the FP Intake for the 80mm red turbo and it doesn't have a nipple for that. Do I have to manually add this nipple or can I tee it off somewhere else?
You can T into the 1 port that is there or just VTA that port. Really, you are over thinking this one.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fostytou
You can T into the 1 port that is there or just VTA that port. Really, you are over thinking this one.
Thanks I'm just a noob when it comes to all of this so I just want to make sure I'm doing it right. So your saying I can just T that port with the boost source?