ECU Flash

3 Port Boost Solenoid

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2009, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

Location: South Beach, FL / Miami, FL / Pt. St. Lucie, FL / NYC
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 Port Boost Solenoid

So I have been prepping myself to making the switch off to all ecu control boost, meth, and failsafes. So I already have my Omni 4 bar map and I have made a decision solid on Aquamist HFS-6. But I would like to know which boost solenoid is better then another? I know if I use the GM 3 Bar I have to do a minor mod to make it compatible with my ecu....so I'm looking at a few other choices: Pierburg which I think is sold by Gruppe-S and Tactrix, Grimmspeed from Maperformance, and I found one by Perrin as well.

So which do you guys prefer or which works best with ECU Flash?
Old Sep 7, 2009, 02:03 PM
Account Disabled

No "mod" to make the GM work with the ECU. Works just llike stock, only better.

GM is the best, mrfred did a test on most of the popular 3 ports awhile back, do a search for it.

Pierburg seems to work fine.

Grimmspeed and Perrin are just MAC valves.

Perrin comes with crappy plastic L-shaped vac fittings now which make it almost impossible to tighten correctly on one side. Not sure why they changed to these from the straight ones they had before.

I've personally tuned pretty much every 3 port avail under the sun and I still think the GM is the best. They work and work well. I've installed and tuned probably 40+ of them now at this point.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 02:28 PM
Evolving Member

I like using the fuel pressure solenoid as a 3-port boost control solenoid. It works great and it's free since the cars already have one that doesn't serve any useful purpose.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GST Motorsports
No "mod" to make the GM work with the ECU. Works just llike stock, only better.

GM is the best, mrfred did a test on most of the popular 3 ports awhile back, do a search for it.

Pierburg seems to work fine.

Grimmspeed and Perrin are just MAC valves.

Perrin comes with crappy plastic L-shaped vac fittings now which make it almost impossible to tighten correctly on one side. Not sure why they changed to these from the straight ones they had before.

I've personally tuned pretty much every 3 port avail under the sun and I still think the GM is the best. They work and work well. I've installed and tuned probably 40+ of them now at this point.
Ok so Pierburg works fine? Do you have to toss a mod on the ECU for it? I don't really want to wire in resistors or anything. I just want plug and play I know the GM solenoid puts extra load on the ECU
Old Sep 7, 2009, 02:58 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by DBallz
Ok so Pierburg works fine? Do you have to toss a mod on the ECU for it? I don't really want to wire in resistors or anything. I just want plug and play I know the GM solenoid puts extra load on the ECU
Yup Pierburg works fine.

GM does not need a resistor. We have been running GM's for over 1.5years now with no resistors on Evos that see an insane amount of abuse on the track circuit.

No 3 ports need any ECU code modifications unless you want to run PSI-target boost instead of Load-target boost.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
I like using the fuel pressure solenoid as a 3-port boost control solenoid. It works great and it's free since the cars already have one that doesn't serve any useful purpose.
Please enlighten us? This is a rather unheard of mod, i am for sure curious about this as well as possibly others, if you will?

Thanks in advance.

To the OP, I am running this 3 port solenoid:
http://admotorsports.net/index.php?m...products_id=66

Not sure if anyone has heard of them?

Any comments or reviews to add from anyone who has run one?

Hope this might help you.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 03:10 PM
Evolved Member

Yup Pierburg works fine.

GM does not need a resistor. We have been running GM's for over 1.5years now with no resistors on Evos that see an insane amount of abuse on the track circuit.

No 3 ports need any ECU code modifications unless you want to run PSI-target boost instead of Load-target boost.
I have read somewhere that you need to wire in a resistor....oh well I would rather plug and play....I'm f'ing lazy I'm just trying to bring my tuner the best stuff to work with.
Thanks I can't seem to find the MrFred comparison 3 port Solenoid post.....can you PM me a link?
Old Sep 7, 2009, 03:14 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Raceghost

That is a Pierburg 3 port. Same as Gruppe-s, Prodrive, Tactrix and one of the solenoids we offer

Originally Posted by DBallz
Thanks I can't seem to find the MrFred comparison 3 port Solenoid post.....can you PM me a link?
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...ting-data.html
Old Sep 7, 2009, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

That is a Pierburg 3 port. Same as Gruppe-s, Prodrive, Tactrix and one of the solenoids we offer
I wanted to say it was, for I cross referenced the part number that came on the outside of the bag, and Pierburg rings a bell, but I was not going to crawl under there to read again..lol. Thanks for the clarification.

Either way, OP, it is direct plug and play. I switched to PSI base boost control, and trust me, it easy.

You will want to do this.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 03:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GM BCS + '5ohm 2W' resistor in series (best characteristics plus meets minimum resistance for BCS specified in FSM).

mrfred's BCS testing data thread here:

'5 ohm 2W' resistor can be produced by connecting the 2 resistors in this double-pack in parallel:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062294

Current = V / R = 14.4 V / (24 + 5) = 0.5A
Power dissipation in resistor = I^2 * R = (0.5)^2 * 5 = 1.25W, so 2W has a healthy margin of safety even when BCS is run at 100%.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 04:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SoCal Rally
GM BCS + '5ohm 2W' resistor in series (best characteristics plus meets minimum resistance for BCS specified in FSM).

mrfred's BCS testing data thread here:

'5 ohm 2W' resistor can be produced by connecting the 2 resistors in this double-pack in parallel:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062294

Current = V / R = 14.4 V / (24 + 5) = 0.5A
Power dissipation in resistor = I^2 * R = (0.5)^2 * 5 = 1.25W, so 2W has a healthy margin of safety even when BCS is run at 100%.
^Oh joy Math

Ok so I will consult with my tuner and see which he prefers....but feeling good about GM and Pierburg aka Prodrive, Tactrix, Gruppe-S Solenoids.

Thanks

Last edited by DBallz; Sep 7, 2009 at 04:13 PM.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 04:13 PM
Account Disabled

Just get the Pierburg and plug and play.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

Just get the Pierburg and plug and play.
Thanks all for your help I'm still going to consult with my tuner before purchasing one over another
Old Sep 7, 2009, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Raceghost
Please enlighten us? This is a rather unheard of mod, i am for sure curious about this as well as possibly others, if you will?

Thanks in advance.

Dsm's came with 3port solenoids as fpr solenoids so for us dsm guys we have a free 3 port. I think the poster didn't realize evo's didn't come with the same.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

Dsm's came with 3port solenoids as fpr solenoids so for us dsm guys we have a free 3 port
I see...lol. No big deal, wasnt sure either, but hey, if it was there and was usable, i would be interested. Good find on the DSM guys, to bad it doesn't work for us. Oh well.

Quick Reply: 3 Port Boost Solenoid