Notices
ECU Flash

disabled egr via faa bit 11 and now crappy cold start help

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2009, 10:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Has anyone adjusted the "Warmup Advance / Retard Activation" table????

It has 100s in the warm up temp ranges. I assume that this means that the "Base Low Engine Temp Trim" table will be activated durring these cold temps.

Thus the need to pull timing to rapidly warm up the cat. Once the car is warm...the Warmup table kicks to 0 and the temp trim table is no longer active.

By changing the 100s to 0s we essentially disable the warmup tables all together ? ? ?
Old Sep 9, 2009, 10:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm almost positive all i did was reenable the bit. But it's possible I reenabled it and put the stock timing values back in at the same time. I will try it tomorrow morning. It was a couple months ago that I fixed it. It always fixed itself at 154.4*F or 68*C according to coolant temp scaled in Evoscan. Every single log I took had it switch over at that temp.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 10:21 PM
Evolved Member

The "EGR System Enable/Disable" by setting the value to 0 it does not change any of the peripherys...so we would still have to disable them to keep the CEL away.

I am confused as to how this will work then???
Old Sep 9, 2009, 10:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Appauldd

It has 100s in the warm up temp ranges. I assume that this means that the "Base Low Engine Temp Trim" table will be activated durring these cold temps.

Thus the need to pull timing to rapidly warm up the cat. Once the car is warm...the Warmup table kicks to 0 and the temp trim table is no longer active.

By changing the 100s to 0s we essentially disable the warmup tables all together ? ? ?
I don't see those tables in ecuflash.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 10:26 PM
Evolved Member

<table name="Warmup Advance/Retard Activation" category="Ignition Trim" type="2D" level="2" scaling="Percent255">
<table name="Engine Temp" type="X Axis" elements="8" scaling="Temp"/>
</table>

<table name="Warmup Advance/Retard Activation" address="41dc">
<table name="Engine Temp" address="681a"/>
</table>

94170015 and 96530006

Last edited by Appauldd; Sep 9, 2009 at 10:30 PM.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 07:13 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
<table name="Warmup Advance/Retard Activation" category="Ignition Trim" type="2D" level="2" scaling="Percent255">
<table name="Engine Temp" type="X Axis" elements="8" scaling="Temp"/>
</table>

<table name="Warmup Advance/Retard Activation" address="41dc">
<table name="Engine Temp" address="681a"/>
</table>

94170015 and 96530006
I have had this zeroed out for a while to try and combat the issue. It didn't seem to help much / at all.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I looked at this, but never tried it.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

If that is the case.....the EGR stuff we are disabeling has to affect other areas of the rom. Is it possible that there are more tables for EGR and engine warm up????

Another possibility is that one or our current tables is mis named.....thus we don't realize it works for engine warm up.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 11:50 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Well, I did notice an easier takeoff than before on my cold start today, however I'm not sure if that is because of the recent tuning I've done that made it significantly better or not. The tuning had already made it significantly better the last couple of days and there was still just a bit of hesitation right when I left.

Still had the rich/lean dip coming to idle and pulled a CEL. I can only guess its for EGR,(I didn't have the laptop with me) although I zeroed out the timing and duty cycle tables so that may not be the case.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Same issue here.....Car barely starts after its sat overnight. If I stall (tripple plate is a ***** to drive when the car is cold) and I try to starrt and move quickly its like the car is frozen or something. Thought it was my tune or just me....hopefully there is a fix for it.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

i changed bit 11 of faa so my car wouldn't stutter going through 2500-3500 rpm and it worked down side crappy cold starts. i put in the xml listed above change the faa bit 11 back to "stock" and car ran like it did before good cold start with stuttering. so i change the egr xml from 0 to 1 im not sure if that disables or enables the egr system but my car drives better haven't gotten to test the cold start so ill get back to you on that.
The following users liked this post:
japspec (Apr 28, 2020)
Old Sep 10, 2009, 08:33 PM
Evolved Member

I don't know about all this disabling stuff..... I hate the 2500-3000 rpm cold roll caused by the EGR but when I disabled that stuff I also got strange side effects.... The car idles like a subi... sounds like its missing some people think I have cams in the darn thing. Also the exhaust note sounds like an exhaust leak.

My AFR's go all over after a good **** pounding on the track. Track performance is unaffected but idle is strange. I'm half tempted go back to dealing with the crappy cold EGR condition.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 08:46 PM
Evolved Member

Jeff,

I hear you there. I too am read to just turn it all back on. The drivability issues vs the "gains" from not having the EGR just don't seem worth it. I mean honestly....what "gains" power wise are we really seeing withough the EGR? It isn't even used durring WOT pulls any how.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 08:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Jeff,

I hear you there. I too am read to just turn it all back on. The drivability issues vs the "gains" from not having the EGR just don't seem worth it. I mean honestly....what "gains" power wise are we really seeing withough the EGR? It isn't even used durring WOT pulls any how.
The gains will come, for me anyways, when I switch to an aftermarket IM. We are missing something, somewhere. Hidden map maybe?
Old Sep 10, 2009, 09:30 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
This is definitely the best way to disable the EGR system:

ok, after some more disassem of the EGR routines, I have found that Periphery 0 (FAA) bit11 does not actually shut off the EGR system until the coolant temp passes ~68C. Its ok to use if you plan on ripping out all the EGR stuff. However, it turns out that there is a byte length value that completely disables the EGR system and is a better choice to use.

For USDM Evo 8 94170008-15 use:

<table name="EGR System Enable/Disable" category="Emissions EGR" address="103D" type="1D" level="2" scaling="uint8"/>

For USDM Evo 8 96420007-11, 96940011, USDM Evo 9 88590013-15, and EDM Evo 8 96530006 use:

<table name="EGR System Enable/Disable" category="Emissions EGR" address="1041" type="1D" level="2" scaling="uint8"/>

A value of "0" disables the EGR system and sets the EGR duty to 0% all the time. "1" enables the EGR system.

Quick Reply: disabled egr via faa bit 11 and now crappy cold start help