Notices
ECU Flash

no honeycomb

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2009, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I recall Mellon saying the only real difference he saw was that load dropped by about 10. What I want to know is if there is any real difference in power.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 09:19 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by logic
No need to be rude or sarcastic, particularly not in the EcuFlash forum. We're all adults here, and most of us here are happy to see any kind of testing results as long as we know the parameters of the test (which he was very clear about; on the dyno, low-airflow AFRs were inconsistent).

I'm glad it's worked out for you; folks have been doing this for a long time without seriously adverse effects, so that's not too surprising. But the honeycombs are there for the same reason the OEM airbox plenum is there: provide consistent, repeatable airflow across the sensor. When you change those things, the repeatability of the sensor's readings can go right out the window, which can make your low fuel trim basically useless in extreme cases.

Hence, it's just a small warning that lower-airflow conditions (idle, mid-shift, possibly cruising) may give inconsistent results. Don't take it as a personal affront, and please don't mock people for posting testing results ("HAHAHA ooooook" doesn't constitute a rational critique), or they simply won't post it anymore, and then we're back to people playing secret-squirrel with useful information. Great for your ego, bad for everyone else.

(Personally, I like fixing the problem by removing the MAF entirely, but that's just me. )
Point taken.

I was unprofessional. Ill edit my post. It was a last night last night, and it irritates me to no end the constant dyno this dyno that talk....I let my irritation get the best of me at the cost of professionalism

Last edited by denver; Oct 2, 2009 at 09:23 AM.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for inputs guys.

Ive notice during shifts my uego briefly goes to red area, very breif though.
Old Oct 3, 2009, 05:01 AM
Evolved Member

If you're shifting slow, then the ECU is probably cutting fuel. It does that when there is no load (IE engine braking)
Old Oct 4, 2009, 05:17 PM
Evolving Member

I would think it could make things a bit inconsistent. As for hp, I can't imagine the hp could even be measurably different if the tune is the same. I dynoed yesterday, and on the 3rd and final pull I removed my whole intake pipe (little 2 1/4 pipe), air filter, and sensor (I was running speed density). On a 400awhp car it made something like 4hp & 8 torque or something.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 06:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jrohner
I would think it could make things a bit inconsistent. As for hp, I can't imagine the hp could even be measurably different if the tune is the same. I dynoed yesterday, and on the 3rd and final pull I removed my whole intake pipe (little 2 1/4 pipe), air filter, and sensor (I was running speed density). On a 400awhp car it made something like 4hp & 8 torque or something.
Prob. accurate although, car is more responsive from 1k to 4k where my lag is.