Notices
ECU Flash

Poor Cold Idle (Yes I searched)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2009, 11:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
With all my adjusting for normal idle, I forgot to make adjustments for the A/C idle. The car stalled on me today when I had the defrost on. Brought it home and raised the ISCV values to match my old 9417 rom.....seems to have solved that issue.

While I was at it, I noticed that the Idle Stepper Look Up Table is different 9417 vs 9653. So just for kicks, I uploaded the 9417 into my 9653 and wouldn't you know....idle, especially when cold, seemed to hold much better. The ISCV did not move nearly as much as before.

Here is the odd part.....I cannot for the life of me get SAS mode activated and have my car remain running. I have adjusted the darn screw over and over again....all to no avail. But my car will hold a nice steady idle otherwise. Any ideas?

At idle the ISCV is holding pretty steady at bout 60 steps and at about 72 with the A/C on. Idle is steady as a rock and no stalling.

I chock this one up to my cams being too big and HKS pipes flowing too well.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 03:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Appauldd
With all my adjusting for normal idle, I forgot to make adjustments for the A/C idle. The car stalled on me today when I had the defrost on. Brought it home and raised the ISCV values to match my old 9417 rom.....seems to have solved that issue.

While I was at it, I noticed that the Idle Stepper Look Up Table is different 9417 vs 9653. So just for kicks, I uploaded the 9417 into my 9653 and wouldn't you know....idle, especially when cold, seemed to hold much better. The ISCV did not move nearly as much as before.

Here is the odd part.....I cannot for the life of me get SAS mode activated and have my car remain running. I have adjusted the darn screw over and over again....all to no avail. But my car will hold a nice steady idle otherwise. Any ideas?

At idle the ISCV is holding pretty steady at bout 60 steps and at about 72 with the A/C on. Idle is steady as a rock and no stalling.

I chock this one up to my cams being too big and HKS pipes flowing too well.
QQ At any time did you clean the ISCV? I'm also having a couple of warm up and idle issues with mine, but I don't have a clutch right now to test it.

Last edited by D-VO; Oct 29, 2009 at 03:31 PM.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

No, I have not cleaned it yet. That is on the agenda.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 06:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Alright, should have the new O2 sensor in today so testing shall resume in short order...
Old Oct 30, 2009, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

Hey guys. I'm only asking this since I don't have a test car at the moment, and my car is down.

What would happen if I try to go negative on the "Decel Fuel Cut Retard" table, say -10's. I'm thinking it would bog when shifting into the next gear, but I'm not quite sure. If it does bog between shifts (given you are drag racing), then maybe a taper from 0 @ 5000 to -10 @ 2000 will work?
Old Nov 1, 2009, 05:08 PM
Evolved Member

Okay guys finally got everything ironed out for my car... here are my settings...

*Percent Low Temp Timing Trim vs Coolant Temp- all columns set to 0%
*Ignition Unknown Map (Warm-up?) (AKA the Hole of 5's)- set to match high octane timing map
*Startup IPW Latency msec- Matched the 14v Injector latency value
*Closed Loop Long Term Trim Control- set Low to Mid- 62.50 Mid to Low- 50
*Open Loop Load #1 & #2- set to match the 96940011 rom
*Open Loop Throttle #1 & #2- Set to match the 96940011 rom
*Desired Idle RPM Neutral- 171* & 180* set to 1000 RPM
*Desired Idle RPM Drive- Set all columns to 1000 RPM
*Desired Idle RPM A/C On- Both Neutral set to 1117 RPM, Both drive set to 1000 RPM
*EGR System Enable/Disable- set to 0 (not FAA Bit 11, but MrFreds EGR Disable routine)
*F9A Bit 2 set to 1 (the rest are zeros)
*FAA Bit 1,3,4,6,7,9,12,14 set to 1 (the rest are zeros)
*FBA Bit 3 set to 1 (the rest are zeros)
*FCA Bit 0,1,2,3,4,6,7,8,11 set to 1 (the rest are zeros)
*FDA Bit 4,7,9,14 set to 1 (the rest set to zero)
*FEA all bits set to zero

***Notes***
*Before doing anything, you need to adjust the BISS as the base idle settings are different in the V7
*FAA Bit 9 (Enable Warmup Ign Retard) will change your fuel trims by approx. 8% when set to zero as seen on my car...
*Percent Low Temp Timing Trim vs Coolant Temp- When this was at the stock setting my car would jump up the idle to about 3000 RPM, therefore I zero'd the columns out and now it starts up jumps to about 1500 RPM and slowly steps down to target idle.
*Closed Loop Long Term Trim Control- In the EDM rom these are fairly high compared to the 96940011 rom so I lowered them to suit my Idle & Cruise Hz readings.
*Open loop load and throttle. I matched these to the 96940011 rom because these are the open loop switchover points and I didn't wanna retune my map as much.
*I replaced my O2 sensor with a Bosch Universal O2 sensor and they do not read fast enough or something so I was getting weird readings. I ordered a Walker PNP O2 sensor from www.oxygensensors.com and that O2 sensor looks physically the same as OEM and performs just like and OEM sensor... it even has the same color wires!

Last edited by Fast_Freddie; Nov 2, 2009 at 05:54 AM.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 07:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Gonna try paul's settings to see if i get any changes. My idle right now is horrendous after installing a 65mm TB and ported intake manifold
Old Nov 1, 2009, 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
It seems to me that the US Evo8 code has stuff in it that causes problems for you guys, that just dont occure with the JDM Evo8 code.

How about someone with dramas swaps to 93660005 (for example) and see if some problems go away. This is not to detract from the hard work going into the issues, I'm just glad I'm not seeing them over here.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 09:45 PM
Evolved Member

What xml are you using for this map?

I can't find it in my xml.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 11:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by merlin.oz
It seems to me that the US Evo8 code has stuff in it that causes problems for you guys, that just dont occure with the JDM Evo8 code.

How about someone with dramas swaps to 93660005 (for example) and see if some problems go away. This is not to detract from the hard work going into the issues, I'm just glad I'm not seeing them over here.
The Tephra V7 rom for all VIII's is an EDM/AUDM rom with no emissions stuff...
Old Nov 2, 2009, 05:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fixem2
What xml are you using for this map?

I can't find it in my xml.
I believe this is it, but I don't have my laptop handy ATM...

PHP Code:
<table name="Percent Low Temp Timing Trim vs Coolant Temp" address="41dc">
<
table name="Engine Temp" address="6a36"/>
</
table

Last edited by Fast_Freddie; Nov 2, 2009 at 06:02 AM.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evoryder
Gonna try paul's settings to see if i get any changes. My idle right now is horrendous after installing a 65mm TB and ported intake manifold
Let us know how it goes. Hopefully you have good results.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 05:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Appauldd
Let us know how it goes. Hopefully you have good results.
Unfortunately same high idle initially then calms down once warmed up. I got the idle lowered by adjusting the BISS, i still gotta turn it down some. I have bit11 enabled per your setup, gonna disable it and also disable map vs baro, see how goes.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 08:32 PM
Evolved Member

I noticed today, after having to completly rebuild my XML library because my computer crashed, that there are some distinct differences from our older roms to the new v7. To keep in with this thread I looked at the ISCV tables and noticed that my stock 94170008 has substantially higher values when compared to 9653xxxx.

I thought a lot about this and I believe that part of my issue with now having a P0505 (ISCV fail) code is because my ISVC isn't within operating range. So....I made my v7 rom that is in my car now have the same ISCV values from 0008. (still to be tested)

This would also lead me to believe that the car needs more ISCV to better control idle. I have my theories as to why. Anyway, for those that have throttle hang, cold stalling, AC stalling, etc., I believe it could be resolved by having higer ISCV values and correctly setting the BIS to within factory specs. Yes, I know this has been discussed elsewhere.

All of this was in effort to bring back the stock-like characteristics of cold idle/drivability and cruise drivability.

Not all of our roms are created equal. We may have a "universal" rom now, but the settings are not cookie cutter. Year 03/04 will differ from 05 in the VIIIs.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 09:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evoryder
Unfortunately same high idle initially then calms down once warmed up. I got the idle lowered by adjusting the BISS, i still gotta turn it down some. I have bit11 enabled per your setup, gonna disable it and also disable map vs baro, see how goes.
Mine was doing the same thing... Mine would jump up to like 3000 RPM and then settle down after the car warmed up. The two maps that will change all this for you will probably be....

-Ignition Unknown Map (Warm-up?) (AKA the Hole of 5's)- Set this to match high octane timing map.

-Percent Low Temp Timing Trim vs Coolant Temp- Set all columns to 0%

Quick Reply: Poor Cold Idle (Yes I searched)