Notices
ECU Flash

Poor Cold Idle (Yes I searched)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2009 | 06:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by l2r99gst
No, they are part of the IPW adder tables. They are defined currently as IPW cold start decay #1 and #2.
Don't have those in my 94170015
Old Oct 13, 2009 | 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

Post #126 in this thread...first two maps.
Old Oct 13, 2009 | 07:17 AM
Evolved Member

I have those...I didn't realize they are injector pulse width modifications for cold warm up though.

HMMM

One more thing to add to the list of possible fixes
Old Oct 13, 2009 | 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

I also have the tb bypassed and thought that might be an issue with cold start. The only issue I had with cold start was with disabling the egr bit. I'm not sure how/why I disabled it, cuz I still have egr equipped. As soon as I reenabled it the car idled great in all temps so I don't think the tb bypass is a problem.

I suppose there could be a difference between 8 and 9 though.
Old Oct 13, 2009 | 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

Question is, if enabling the FAA BIt 11 on the 96530006 ROM really does anything for EGR? Since this ROM was not expecting an EGR equipped car.
Old Oct 13, 2009 | 10:34 PM
Evolved Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by fixem2
Question is, if enabling the FAA BIt 11 on the 96530006 ROM really does anything for EGR? Since this ROM was not expecting an EGR equipped car.
I tried it both ways today... with FAA Bit 11 enabled, EGR Routine Disabled & vice verse and both ways acted the same...
Old Oct 13, 2009 | 10:38 PM
Evolved Member
Veteran: Navy

I am going to mess with cranking enrichment tomorrow as the car seems to dump fuel while in open loop until the fuel trims kick in. Also going to change minimum temp for closed loop also... will report back after I try some stuff...

Last edited by Fast_Freddie; Oct 13, 2009 at 10:56 PM.
Old Oct 13, 2009 | 11:04 PM
Evolved Member

Disabling the EGR bit will cause cold idle problems. If you reenable the bit, I bet it goes away.
Disabling bit 11 causes the condition (I'm sure you already know this). I don't think anyone has found a table that will fix it though, with the bit disabled. I know I went through every table in ecuflash trying to fix it to no avail, until I reenabled the bit and it worked.
The disabling of the EGR is rather interesting. I have these two tables, that deal with EGR?

(FAA table)
The Periphery bit is backwards, 0 enables it, and 1 Disables it.

(Emissions EGR)
EGR System Enable/Disable.... Not sure if a 1 is the disable or 0 on this table.

Appauldd, these are in your ROMID.xml.

Anyone have an input?

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails Poor Cold Idle (Yes I searched)-egrstuff.jpg  

Last edited by Raceghost; Oct 13, 2009 at 11:06 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2009 | 04:52 AM
Evolving Member

have you tried lowering your cold start rpm?
Old Oct 14, 2009 | 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

FAA bit 11 was thought to enable/disable the High Oct EGR enabled advance table under the timing section. Basically zeroing out that table did the same thing. But now they're pretty sure there's more to that bit than just that table.
Old Oct 14, 2009 | 09:28 AM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by nothere
Where can I find the correct scaling xml? If it's in the scaling/latencies thread don't worry about it, cuz I'm about to read through it again.

well since you are a IX I'm not sure. It might be in the latest ecuflash download?

if not you will see it in V7
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...hout-pics.html
You just have to change the increment from 1 or whatever it is set to to .022 or whatever the real possible increment is. You can find it by just hitting = to dial in a number a tenth or hundreth off from the current until you finally see it change. The difference will be the correct increment.

Originally Posted by biggie5252
I misunderstood you. I thought when you said you rescaled, you actually changed the scaling value. This is the method I used to set my latencies originally. I always check them every few weeks to a month and adjust if necessary (not usual). They're pretty much always less than +/- 2%. Sometimes less than 1%. I've found that the Ecuflash increments are too big and I can't adjust one way or the other to get any closer.

1. Choose a global setting (ECUFlash injector scaling number)
2. Log trims at idle and cruise
3. If trims are roughly the same, but positive, then you need to increase your global fueling, or in terms of ECUFlash, you need to lower your injector scaling number.
4. If both trims are roughly the same, but negative, then you need to descrease your global fueling, or in terms of ECUFlash, you need to raise your injector scaling number.
5. If idle trim is more positive than cruise trim, then you need to increase the dead time, or in terms of ECUFlash, you need to increase the latency value.
6. If the idle trim is less positive than the cruise trim, you need to decrease the deadtime, or in terms of ECUFlash, you need to decrease the latency value.

Where can I find the correct scaling xml? If it's in the scaling/latencies thread don't worry about it, cuz I'm about to read through it again.
This is the DSMLink method that I described earlier. Although logically it makes sense, I don't think it works the same for Evos (at least it didn't work that way for me). On the DSM you are adjusting dead time and not latency (they are similar but different).

Originally Posted by Appauldd
This is a new one....

Is this the "MAF Adjustment" table? AKA MAF Compensation?

If not, I am not familliar with the IPW delay tables.
I posted a link in my last post here....

Originally Posted by Raceghost
The disabling of the EGR is rather interesting. I have these two tables, that deal with EGR?

(FAA table)
The Periphery bit is backwards, 0 enables it, and 1 Disables it.

(Emissions EGR)
EGR System Enable/Disable.... Not sure if a 1 is the disable or 0 on this table.

Appauldd, these are in your ROMID.xml.

Anyone have an input?

Thanks in advance.

There is a whole seperate thread on this. If you have no EGR they should all be 0 (if I remember correctly - this should disable the CEL & enable the system) and then change the other bit that mrfred posted to disable the system.

Last edited by fostytou; Oct 14, 2009 at 09:35 AM.
Old Oct 14, 2009 | 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

Only question is that the FAA bit 11 may have a reverse activation. According to the MUT Table created awhile back. 1 is used to disable and 0 is enable. Anyone know if this is true?
Old Oct 14, 2009 | 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Oracle1
have you tried lowering your cold start rpm?
In which table???
Old Oct 14, 2009 | 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

Seems like the consensus is that our issue stems some how from the EGR routines. Maybe a winter time solution is to re-enable the EGR and hook the water bypass back up and remove the egr block plate.....Basically...Run EGR in the winter.

The problem I see will come from the warmup table....if we re-scaled our fuel and timing tables the warm-up table has to be adjusted so as to not allow changes in areas it isn't supposed to.
Old Oct 14, 2009 | 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fixem2
Only question is that the FAA bit 11 may have a reverse activation. According to the MUT Table created awhile back. 1 is used to disable and 0 is enable. Anyone know if this is true?
You are corect about FAA bit 11, set bit 11 to 1 to disable.

Quick Reply: Poor Cold Idle (Yes I searched)