Notices
ECU Flash

Poor Cold Idle (Yes I searched)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2009, 10:50 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Appauldd
Seems like the consensus is that our issue stems some how from the EGR routines. Maybe a winter time solution is to re-enable the EGR and hook the water bypass back up and remove the egr block plate.....Basically...Run EGR in the winter.

The problem I see will come from the warmup table....if we re-scaled our fuel and timing tables the warm-up table has to be adjusted so as to not allow changes in areas it isn't supposed to.
I still completely disagree. I saw no changes with these settings. I know others have reported otherwise, but in the end it does not require you to run EGR to have that bit enabled! The problem was with the specific periphery bit used to disable the EGR, not the EGR system overall!

Disabling the CEL (using periphery) and using the alternate non-periphery bit to disable the system should not require you to re-install the EGR system. Others who have had the problem caused by disabling the EGR periphery bit have used this method and said it works properly!
Old Oct 14, 2009, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Okay just got done logging cold start again... It idles fine while in open loop before the fuel trims kick in... as soon as the O2 feedback loop kicks in O2 feebdack maxes out at +25 (dumping fuel) until the O2 feedback loop settles at around -1/-2%. Changed my Maf Compensation in the 50 & 70 cells and just reset the battery to see how that is going to effect my fuel trims... will report back later...
Old Oct 14, 2009, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Fast_Freddie
Okay just got done logging cold start again... It idles fine while in open loop before the fuel trims kick in... as soon as the O2 feedback loop kicks in O2 feebdack maxes out at +25 (dumping fuel) until the O2 feedback loop settles at around -1/-2%. Changed my Maf Compensation in the 50 & 70 cells and just reset the battery to see how that is going to effect my fuel trims... will report back later...
My 2g running 90550001 rom does the same thing after it gets up to temperature you will see the trims go down to normal.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 3gturbo
My 2g running 90550001 rom does the same thing after it gets up to temperature you will see the trims go down to normal.
This is the exact issue we are having.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 01:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
This is the exact issue we are having.
The cause is the p0135 "fix". I checked the fuel trims before and after the front o2 heater disable and if you enable it the trims are normal. The egr made no difference in trims on my car.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

P0135.....I don't recall ever having that code, nor have I disabled it as far as I know. My front O2 is intact and working.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 04:57 PM
Evolved Member

Alright guys messed with the IPW adder tables and they pretty much did nothing... I messed with the MAF compensation tables quite a bit today, and got the LTFT Low to -3, and the LTFT Mid to -5. However, I had to decrease the Maf Compensation tables quite a bit... I have yet to see how it affected the tune I am just relaying what it did to the fuel trims...

Attached Thumbnails Poor Cold Idle (Yes I searched)-maf.png  
Old Oct 14, 2009, 06:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a question for those that are experiencing a problem with cold starts. Do all of you have a rescaled load axis or are people who haven't rescaled their load axis having problems as well?

For the guys that have rescaled the load axis, if you return it back to the stock values do the cold start problems cease to exist?
Old Oct 15, 2009, 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
There is a whole seperate thread on this. If you have no EGR they should all be 0 (if I remember correctly - this should disable the CEL & enable the system) and then change the other bit that mrfred posted to disable the system.
Fostyou thanks for the help. I was really trying to help with the tables. I have a similiar issue, but It's a warm start idle issue... My cold start is not apparent anymore, and I have eliviated that issue of concern, I know have a Warm Start issue.

Sorry to derail the topic. Thanks again.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Alright guys messed with the IPW adder tables and they pretty much did nothing... I messed with the MAF compensation tables quite a bit today, and got the LTFT Low to -3, and the LTFT Mid to -5. However, I had to decrease the Maf Compensation tables quite a bit... I have yet to see how it affected the tune I am just relaying what it did to the fuel trims...

changing the top end cells will have an impact on your afr in open loop. If you watch your wot afr it will be much leaner if you lower those cells. So for idle issues don't touch anything above the 50.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

Typically the car will idle less than 50Hz so you are correct in your finding about the compensation tables.

It was very cold today. I drove the car while it was cold (yes a big no no) to get a better idea of the exact issue.

As I start to move in 1st gear the car slowly goes leaner and leaner to a point of bogging (21 AFR on my ZT2 WB). I push in the clutch and rev it and then re-engage the clutch...continue to try to drive in 1st. Same thing happens. I notice that at about 1500ish RPM that the issue is severe. If I drive it keeping a higer RPM it will do ok. It won't lean out so bad.

As I get out of my development and accelerate on the main street up to 45mph I see that in between shifts the car goes super lean (19ish afr).

Again, once the car is warm (above 150ish degrees) the issues is gone.

I have not adjusted anything as of yet. The cold weather and lack of driving my car killed my Odessey mini battery so my fuel trims had to be reset prior to attempting to drive it cold. I think a relocation kit and Optima battery are my next upgrades.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 09:38 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Why are you lowering those so much across the board?! Change your scaling first... these tables should be for fine tuning!
Old Oct 15, 2009, 09:50 PM
Evolved Member

I stumbled across something else today that was a bit weird guys... with the above settings and driving about 2 hours on the interstate LTFT low was -3, LTFT Mid was -9. I pulled over to get gas and when I did I re-enabled the timing retard on startup bit, and reset the battery, and changed nothing else. This tremendously changed my fuel trims again, this time LTFT Low is 2, LTFT Mid is -1... However with this routine enabled the car does the weird rich thing at startup again but fuel trims are manageable... I am at a loss, and will probably toy around with putting 10's into the open loop tables and basically tune everything in open loop... or just say "F" it and deal with it... BTW this is on the 96940011 rom not V7
Old Oct 15, 2009, 09:52 PM
Evolved Member

Typically the car will idle less than 50Hz so you are correct in your finding about the compensation tables.

It was very cold today. I drove the car while it was cold (yes a big no no) to get a better idea of the exact issue.

As I start to move in 1st gear the car slowly goes leaner and leaner to a point of bogging (21 AFR on my ZT2 WB). I push in the clutch and rev it and then re-engage the clutch...continue to try to drive in 1st. Same thing happens. I notice that at about 1500ish RPM that the issue is severe. If I drive it keeping a higer RPM it will do ok. It won't lean out so bad.

As I get out of my development and accelerate on the main street up to 45mph I see that in between shifts the car goes super lean (19ish afr).

Again, once the car is warm (above 150ish degrees) the issues is gone.

I have not adjusted anything as of yet. The cold weather and lack of driving my car killed my Odessey mini battery so my fuel trims had to be reset prior to attempting to drive it cold. I think a relocation kit and Optima battery are my next upgrades.
Thats the thing... even before I changed he MAF compensation, it was idling at 34-36 Hz...
Old Oct 15, 2009, 10:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fostytou
This is the DSMLink method that I described earlier. Although logically it makes sense, I don't think it works the same for Evos (at least it didn't work that way for me). On the DSM you are adjusting dead time and not latency (they are similar but different).
It worked as advertised for me. Using this method I got my trims to within +/- 2%. Unfortunately I can't say what they were before. I never paid a bit of attention to them until I got my injectors (pte 1000ccs).

Quick Reply: Poor Cold Idle (Yes I searched)