Notices
ECU Flash

TephraMod V7

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2009 | 04:27 PM
EvoM Guru

^ yeh, however some people (no offence to anyone intended) just wont be happy unless they have a USDM romid to run.

you know that old niggling feeling in the back of your mind thinking something is not quite right
Old Nov 4, 2009 | 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo_Kid
Also if you use 9417 or 9642, neither of them have the dreaded "throttle hang" that 9653 has (and 9694 for that matter).
No, but they require other changes for some cars. I think the advantages to a single rom image far outweigh the drawbacks.

d
Old Nov 4, 2009 | 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tephra
^ yeh, however some people (no offence to anyone intended) just wont be happy unless they have a USDM romid to run.

you know that old niggling feeling in the back of your mind thinking something is not quite right
Maybe it would have been better to change the rom id altogther to indicate that it was a _new_ image, not a small diff of a mitsubishi one. E80000007? :-p

d
Old Nov 4, 2009 | 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

I am down for a USDM ROM version but I hope the definitions for this ROM will be as well documented as 9653 ROM ID.
Old Nov 4, 2009 | 04:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by phenem
I am down for a USDM ROM version but I hope the definitions for this ROM will be as well documented as 9653 ROM ID.
Me too. Although I LOVE the 94170015 rom and its reliability over here in the U.S., I also agree that we need to focus on less ROM ID's and really find every table and map in them. I've barely had any time to even open my laptop in the past few weeks and it'd suck to have to start focusing on ANOTHER rom ID at this point
Old Nov 4, 2009 | 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tephra

No offense taken. I like to do thing proper (no offense to anyone) and believe a USDM car should run a USDM ROM

Originally Posted by donour
No, but they require other changes for some cars. I think the advantages to a single rom image far outweigh the drawbacks.

d
I dont know. heres my list of cons why I dont switch to 9653

-idle problem (i know it can be fixed with properly adjusting the BISS, but still)

-to the best of my knowledge, 9653 being a EDM ROM, it has nothing for the EGR stuff (and maybe other emission controls). That might not mean much to people that dont live in CA, but to me it does. Also i know I can "make" the readiness test and what not read how ever I want, but still, its a hacked way of doing it.

-Also, since we dont know every single table for any ROM, there may be tables in 9653 that are different from the USDM ROM, that we dont know about.

-Another big reason to me is the "throttle hang" problem. The 03-04 cars dont have this problem and 05+ do(ie 9653). Also since no one has found a complete and perfect fix to this, the only way to correctly remedy it at this point is using a 03-04 ROM. After dealing with the "hang" in my 05 VIII and my IX, then gettin my 04 RS, that has no hang at all, im a lil reluctant to move to a ROM with that "dreaded throttle hang"

-Also I tune other peoples cars, and I dont feel 100% safe about putting on 9653, especially since I dont run it in my own car.

Also there may be reasons others have for not moving to 9653, since I know Im not the only one wanting a USDM V7 ROM for the EVO VIII.

I do also understand that having to mod more ROMs, take more time for developers and such, but as I see it, one USDM VIII ROM should be mandatory.

Originally Posted by Jack_of_Trades
Me too. Although I LOVE the 94170015 rom and its reliability over here in the U.S., I also agree that we need to focus on less ROM ID's and really find every table and map in them. I've barely had any time to even open my laptop in the past few weeks and it'd suck to have to start focusing on ANOTHER rom ID at this point
Agreed on less ROMs, but like I said above, I strongly think we need ONE USDM 8 ROM.

Last edited by Evo_Jay; Nov 4, 2009 at 05:01 PM.
Old Nov 4, 2009 | 04:53 PM
Evolved Member

Before we pick a ROM let's make sure it is well supported, will support ICS system that the 03 has and all the modifications that are currently out.

Honestly I think the 94170015 is the only ROM that support ICS that is USDM. Can all USDM EVO 8's run the 9417 ROM?

Am I right Tephra?
Old Nov 4, 2009 | 04:59 PM
Evolved Member

Before we pick a ROM let's make sure it is well supported, will support ICS system that the 03 has and all the modifications that are currently out.

Honestly I think the 94170015 is the only ROM that support ICS that is USDM. Can all USDM EVO 8's run the 9417 ROM?

Am I right Tephra?
9417 and 9642 both have ICS and are both USDM ROMs. (if ICS = Intercooler sprayer)

All USDM EVO 8's can run 9417, but if they are from another ROM family ie 9642 you have to change the immobilizer hex (but you have to do that on the 9653 too).

Even though I run 9642 and 9642 is the more current EVO 8 ROM from mitsu (since its an '04 ROM), I really think that 9417 has the most disassembled tables and definitions (I think).
Old Nov 4, 2009 | 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo_Kid
9417 and 9642 both have ICS and are both USDM ROMs. (if ICS = Intercooler sprayer)

All USDM EVO 8's can run 9417, but if they are from another ROM family ie 9642 you have to change the immobilizer hex (but you have to do that on the 9653 too).

Even though I run 9642 and 9642 is the more current EVO 8 ROM from mitsu (since its an '04 ROM), I really think that 9417 has the most disassembled tables and definitions (I think).
Yeah ICS = intercooler sprayer and 9417 is currently a supported SD ROM too. I think 9417 is the best ROM choice.

What does everyone think?

Tephra, will 9417 be a good choice for all USDM 8's?
Old Nov 4, 2009 | 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

If I had to choose, I'd suggest the 94170015 ROM as well.
Old Nov 4, 2009 | 05:53 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah ICS = intercooler sprayer and 9417 is currently a supported SD ROM too. I think 9417 is the best ROM choice.

What does everyone think?

Tephra, will 9417 be a good choice for all USDM 8's?
Originally Posted by Jack_of_Trades
If I had to choose, I'd suggest the 94170015 ROM as well.
Even though I'm a 9642 car, I also vote 9417.

Okay, 3 "yah's". vote is over. 9417 is the USDM ROM.
Old Nov 4, 2009 | 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

Is there any chance of 90550001 before you move onto another 8 rom ??
Old Nov 4, 2009 | 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

The transition to v7 96530006 is rather painless, at least on my 03 it is. Sure there are tuning differences, but all that needs to be done is to ensure that you transfer your stock table values into v7.

There is a lot of difference between each rom. Therefore each rom has is't specific needs to run your car properly. The v7 rom works wonderfully! You just have to take the time to TUNE it properly for your specific mods and stock rom.

I too fought tooth and nail for a USDM universal rom 94170015, but after making the switch to v7, I regret any turmoil I may have caused. My own ignorance was stopping me from enjoying the best "stock" rom available.

The problem is that USDM models differ every year.... 03 to 04 the turbo hot side changed.... 04 to 05 we got ACD...05 to 06 we got the IX. There is no way to make one rom cover every model and work great out of the box. Thus the need to TUNE.

My car runs better now than it did when it was stock. Smooth, starts on the first crank, idles well, and pulls like hell. The best part is that drivability has improved to a point I get 23-26 miles per gallon. My car stock never did that.

Take your time and TUNE....you will be elated with the results.

Last edited by Appauldd; Nov 4, 2009 at 07:03 PM.
Old Nov 4, 2009 | 07:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Appauldd
The transition to v7 96530006 is rather painless, at least on my 03 it is. Sure there are tuning differences, but all that needs to be done is to ensure that you transfer your stock table values into v7.

There is a lot of difference between each rom. Therefore each rom has is't specific needs to run your car properly. The v7 rom works wonderfully! You just have to take the time to TUNE it properly for your specific mods and stock rom.

I too fought tooth and nail for a USDM universal rom 94170015, but after making the switch to v7, I regret any turmoil I may have caused. My own ignorance was stopping me from enjoying the best "stock" rom available.

The problem is that USDM models differ every year.... 03 to 04 the turbo hot side changed.... 04 to 05 we got ACD...05 to 06 we got the IX. There is no way to make one rom cover every model and work great out of the box. Thus the need to TUNE.

My car runs better now than it did when it was stock. Smooth, starts on the first crank, idles well, and pulls like hell. The best part is that drivability has improved to a point I get 23-26 miles per gallon. My car stock never did that.

Take your time and TUNE....you will be elated with the results.
Its not a problem of tuning. Not at all.

I would just like to keep my car running a USDM ROM since its a USDM car. Im just picky like that. Also, like I said above, I dont feel comfortable tuning other peoples cars with 9653 (since we dont know everything about every ROM, there may be differences; Also I live in California, so loading 9653 to others car isnt the best idea.)

Also, not every problem can be "tuned" out with 9653. We still dont know the 100% proper/correct way to get rid of the 05+ throttle hang. To be honest, I hate that throttle hang.

Also, tuning any ROM will/can yield you.....

My car runs better now than it did when it was stock. Smooth, starts on the first crank, idles well, and pulls like hell. The best part is that drivability has improved to a point I get 23-26 miles per gallon
But mostly, I would just like to have a USDM ROM for my USDM car, but thats me.

*I still run Tephra's v.2 (CEL on knoc/nlts/valet) of 96420008 (my original ROM ID)
Old Nov 4, 2009 | 07:45 PM
Evolved Member

Any idea why the defaults for the two Cranking Enrichment IPW adder tables would be so different? See attached. I assume the Alt table is correct and the main table has bad data, am I right? And the two different table sizes, is that intentional?

Maybe I'm simply assuming too much, as I assumed the new V7 96530706 had the very latest Mitsu defaults, so I have been diligently NOT changing them to match my old 94170014. Is this not the case?

96530706 has been working out pretty well for me, but I'll go along with the idea of having only one USDM ROM. I thought the 9653xxxx was a USDM ROM, is that not the case?

Attached Thumbnails TephraMod V7-ipw-tables-2.jpg  

Quick Reply: TephraMod V7