Notices
ECU Flash

PSI Based Boost issue...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2009, 10:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Raceghost
Ok guys, I have located the issue, and added more WGDC. Here is the logs, and here is the settings:

Edit:These are the adjusted logs which I hit 23 on the dial today, when doing these pulls.

I am only seeing knock up in the high end, approx. 6K as it shows in the log.

But it doesn't make sense, the higher the rpm, the lower the load cells....?
This is because a particular load at low RPM is not exactly the same as that exact same load at high RPM. This would be true even if your boost was completely flat in both cases which it isn't

Also I noticed when I log, that sometimes, I pull a full 3rd gear to red line, but will only capture a few seconds of the readings.... Thought it was due to the wideband, but still I get issues in the log missing data that it should have captured. It as though EVOscan pauses for a second, like it is overloaded....just an observation.
Computer specs and brand? That is often part of it. Also you can increase the number of rows logged by simply turning off some of the items that you are logging which you don't need.

Also my octane reading states 100 octane, I am on 91 from Chevron...no clue on this either.

Thanks guys
This is the OctaneFlag parameter that you are looking at? That doesn't mean you are running 100 octane. I haven't logged that one in ages but from what I remember that basically is a counter that decrements the more knock the ECU sees. Once it gets low enough it forces the car into the low octane maps because it assumes that the problem is fuel.

Last edited by codgi; Oct 15, 2009 at 10:45 PM.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 11:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
This is the OctaneFlag parameter that you are looking at? That doesn't mean you are running 100 octane. I haven't logged that one in ages but from what I remember that basically is a counter that decrements the more knock the ECU sees. Once it gets low enough it forces the car into the low octane maps because it assumes that the problem is fuel.
I think so, I was catching to see what it read. Good looken out for that.

So how do my settings look? Is my timing map good, or out there?

And I will strip down as many of the not needed's in logging. Get back to you guys 2morrow.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 05:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
That timing graph looks quite interesting. Could I see a snapshot of the entire timing map along with the graph?
Old Oct 16, 2009, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Raceghost
Ok guys, I have located the issue, and added more WGDC. Here is the logs, and here is the settings:

Edit:These are the adjusted logs which I hit 23 on the dial today, when doing these pulls.

I am only seeing knock up in the high end, approx. 6K as it shows in the log.

But it doesn't make sense, the higher the rpm, the lower the load cells....?

Also I noticed when I log, that sometimes, I pull a full 3rd gear to red line, but will only capture a few seconds of the readings.... Thought it was due to the wideband, but still I get issues in the log missing data that it should have captured. It as though EVOscan pauses for a second, like it is overloaded....just an observation. Also my octane reading states 100 octane, I am on 91 from Chevron...no clue on this either.

Thanks guys
You've added WGDC% to make it SPIKE to 23, but not hold. Look at the boost error. The ECU is still lowering WGDC% to lower the boost to ~21, which is what is defined in your maps. If you increase the desired boost values, you will hold your desired boost because the ECU won't pull WGDC% due to overboost.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 08:39 PM
Evolved Member

That timing graph looks quite interesting. Could I see a snapshot of the entire timing map along with the graph
Uploaded, sorry bout the late reply.

You've added WGDC% to make it SPIKE to 23, but not hold. Look at the boost error. The ECU is still lowering WGDC% to lower the boost to ~21, which is what is defined in your maps. If you increase the desired boost values, you will hold your desired boost because the ECU won't pull WGDC% due to overboost.
I see that, but I am talking when I first lay into boost 3-4k range, full spool, only 21 boost.

Tonight while driving freeway 180miles round trip, I am in my low boost table, as well as low timing table. I did a 3k elevation run earlier today up Big Cottonwood Canyon, and after coming back down, have found myself in the low boost area, tops out at 19...?

The timing map I did after finding knock for two months, this seems to give me only 1-2 counts approx. over 45 minutes of driving time. So I think I am in the sweetspot, I put down just a little over 300HP by converter you gave us their Jack.

Here is the full graphs, i thought for a sweet toon, make all the slopes between the boost map, fuel map, etc, they should all slope the same...?

My creative mind at work. I could really use the full help. My tuner won't answer my calls, never completed the tune, so I have been doing it on my own via reading this forum verbatum on some of the tuning...

Thanks again in advance

EDIT: Can someone explain the High gear boost & wastegate, and the Low Gear Boost & Wastegate?

I don't understand the deffinition? I know the ECU switches between these when knock is aquired. But there also is the gear based stock system that MFRED piointed out. I still have all my stock tables in play in my ROMID.xml. Could I be getting conflicting settings due to the stock deff's and the mod deff's? I know I preached about having multiple code in the ROMID.xmls causing this sort of thing before, but I feel my interpretation was way off. School me fella's, please.

It would seem that low gear would be 1st ~2nd, and high gear would be 3~5th...
Attached Thumbnails PSI Based Boost issue...-23psihighoctanefuel.jpg   PSI Based Boost issue...-23psihighoctaneignition.jpg   PSI Based Boost issue...-23psiturbosettings.jpg  

Last edited by Raceghost; Oct 16, 2009 at 08:49 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

Bump to the top for some help...please. Jack did you see anything I need to change?
Old Oct 17, 2009, 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Usually the timing map isn't so straight and 'linear'. This has to do with the VE of the engine and how it will allow more/less timing in a non-linear fashion. Usually, I tune the curve for 3rd gear, then gradually (in a sloping motion) have the timing go from the low load/closed loop areas down to the 'tuned' areas.

Look at this thread to see how some peoples 'smoothed out' and tuned maps appear to give you an idea. Jumperalex created an excel spreadsheet that helps 'auto-smooth' the maps out a bit for you HERE
Old Oct 17, 2009, 11:12 PM
Evolved Member

Usually the timing map isn't so straight and 'linear'. This has to do with the VE of the engine and how it will allow more/less timing in a non-linear fashion. Usually, I tune the curve for 3rd gear, then gradually (in a sloping motion) have the timing go from the low load/closed loop areas down to the 'tuned' areas.
Ok, I guess I need to read up on the closed loop areas...? Is this concidered the cruising area's? Wow, so I've been timing for smoothness, now I see how much time I have wasted trying to tune linear...lol. Do I need to start over?

Thanks again.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

I think I realized what was going on today. When I started out, I was in my HIGH maps. I saw a 26psi on the dial while doing 3rd gear pull, no I didn't log it, for I wasn't thinking it could be what I am concidering. I have my Boost limit set to 26psi. SO when I saw the 26, it decided to switch to LOW map. I took a peak at my boost limit, and sur'n'uff it is set to 26 and the high 25's tapering with the baseline boost.

So question, how high above my boost curve should the boost limit be set?

Thanks in advance.