Notices
ECU Flash

Warm start Idle issue...?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2009, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Warm start Idle issue...?

Ok, so thought I had it fixed, but I am still flooding out every now and again, only it is on warm start. Car acts likes it flooded, holds RPM at about 500, or sometimes it won't even start. I have to hold the gas pedal a little to get it to start, or to catch it's idle. Any Idea's?
Old Oct 15, 2009, 10:06 PM
Evolved Member

Bump for some luv?
Old Oct 15, 2009, 10:08 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my car is doing the exact thing
Old Oct 15, 2009, 10:19 PM
Evolved Member

I have been readin a post that talks about a few vacuum lines on EVO X that are not tied up. The thread also stated that the 8's do this as well, but with EGR lines in the mix...
No clue, stumped... from the guru's?
Old Oct 16, 2009, 03:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
checked AFR, could be running rich.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Yeah....sounds like time for a vacuum check....Boost leak check might be good too.

Zip tie every vacuum line and tighten every intake clamp. I re-check my intake clamps about every other month or so.

I would pull the ISCV and clean it really good. They can get gunked up and cause some problems.

Lastly, you changed a bunch of stuff to combat cold start issues. Might you have done too much and caused the warm issue????
Old Oct 16, 2009, 08:16 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah....sounds like time for a vacuum check....Boost leak check might be good too.

Zip tie every vacuum line and tighten every intake clamp. I re-check my intake clamps about every other month or so.

I would pull the ISCV and clean it really good. They can get gunked up and cause some problems.

Lastly, you changed a bunch of stuff to combat cold start issues. Might you have done too much and caused the warm issue????
Good possibility on the changing stuff around. I checked vacuum hoses tonight, and will zip tie the ones that are just on there by their friction...lol.

Also got an interesting situation with car going into low octane and low boost maps now. Only thing that I did was drive to the top of one of the canyons here in SLC, and since coming back down, I have only been in low boost... Elevation change of about 3K feet.... Back to the drawing board...lol.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

When running PSI based/ECU Based Boost controll, do i need to remove the tables that were stock like the BDEL tables? Because I have both MFREDS tables(baseline boost) and the stock BDEL, could this be giving me an error? Pro's...Guru's...Weakend warriors?
Old Oct 17, 2009, 09:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Raceghost
When running PSI based/ECU Based Boost controll, do i need to remove the tables that were stock like the BDEL tables? Because I have both MFREDS tables(baseline boost) and the stock BDEL, could this be giving me an error? Pro's...Guru's...Weakend warriors?
No you don't they are simply rescaled to fit the new psi direct boost model.

For your flooding problem what size injectors?

I found with larger injectors and pump gas i had to decrease the primer cranking pulse to get the car to fire reliably. I can help you grab the right table if i know what rom you're using.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 10:56 PM
Evolved Member

I found with larger injectors and pump gas i had to decrease the primer cranking pulse to get the car to fire reliably. I can help you grab the right table if i know what rom you're using.
I am on stock injectors, scaled to 513 in the table, never touched them.
I am interested in understanding the injector pulse you speak of. I am on the 94170015 rom, running ecu/psi based boost controll.

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 11:42 PM
Evolved Member

I am on stock injectors, scaled to 513 in the table, never touched them.
I am interested in understanding the injector pulse you speak of. I am on the 94170015 rom, running ecu/psi based boost controll.

Thanks in advance.
Well with stock injectors you really shouldn't have a problem I'll post the tables anyways though so you can see.

The primer is just the inital squirt of fuel into the camber for ignition. The decay is a cold start enrichment helper keeping the idle up while the chamber comes to temp.

PHP Code:
    <table name="Post Primer Enrich Decay #1" category="Fuel" address="3712" type="2D" level="2" scaling="EnrichmentAdj">
        <
table name="Engine Temp" address="67bc" type="X Axis" elements="9" scaling="Temp"/>
    </
table>

<
table name="Post Primer Enrich Decay #2" category="Fuel" address="3722" type="2D" level="2" scaling="EnrichmentAdj">
        <
table name="Engine Temp" address="67bc" type="X Axis" elements="9" scaling="Temp"/>
    </
table>

<
table name="Post Primer Enrich #1" category="Fuel" address="3732" type="2D" level="2" scaling="uint8">
        <
    </
table>

<
table name="Post Primer Enrich #2" category="Fuel" address="3742" type="2D" level="2" scaling="uint8">
        <
    </
table>

<
table name="Primer Cranking Enrich - First Pulse" category="Fuel" address="3810" type="2D" level="2" scaling="uint8">
        <
table name="Engine Temp" address="67d8" type="Y Axis" elements="11" scaling="Temp"/>
    </
table
Old Oct 18, 2009, 12:11 AM
Evolved Member

Well with stock injectors you really shouldn't have a problem I'll post the tables anyways though so you can see.

The primer is just the inital squirt of fuel into the camber for ignition. The decay is a cold start enrichment helper keeping the idle up while the chamber comes to temp.
I agree on "shouldn't have an issue", but for some reason, it doesn't want to fire sometime, and just hangs out in the low area. I even have to hold the accelerator sometimes to get it fire. Not sure why.

Can you also give me a heads up of possible settings in those primer tables?

Thanks again
Old Oct 18, 2009, 12:12 AM

any frames or logs?
Old Oct 18, 2009, 12:17 AM
Evolved Member

I agree on "shouldn't have an issue", but for some reason, it doesn't want to fire sometime, and just hangs out in the low area. I even have to hold the accelerator sometimes to get it fire. Not sure why.

Can you also give me a heads up of possible settings in those primer tables?

Thanks again
Hard to say honestly with larger injectors you generally decrease the table by a percentage say 513/new scaling whatever that comes out to. But with your issue it sounds almost like it could use a little more fuel perhaps trying it both ways is an option bumping it a couple notches in the warm area, which i believe is 8 by default to 10 may solve it. If it gets worse well you know what happened and decrease it to 7.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 05:19 AM
Account Disabled

Unfortunatley I think this is *one of those things* that a lot of people are having problems with especially if the car ages. We are systematically swapping parts out on my friends car. I think we completed the whole fuel system. He just tried my ecu yesterday. Now he is on to intake parts. This is something that affected stock DSM's as well as the cars aged and now it looks like something is happening to evo's. After market injectors seem to make this problem worse or in some cases disappear.

Quick Reply: Warm start Idle issue...?