Notices
ECU Flash

Advanced fuel control options

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2010, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nothere
is it possible as far as it being a tunable map, it acts as if it is a percentage determiner of another map?
Possibly a percentage increase on top of some other map, at least that's how the raw data in the map would tend to look. Unfortunately 255 is the max the value can go, so any type of lean points in the cells shown as 255 are at their limit already. However, if other spots in the map exhibit lean spots during the warm up period (such as driving), you might be able to compensate a bit further by adjusting the values up a bit to see how it reacts.

It's also interesting to note that the 255 values are listed in the load cells where throttle tip-in occurs the most, and are usually the leanest in those 500-1000 rpm areas. Possibly something to do with cold tip-in enrichment?

When I changed the values to 128 the car would idle at ~14.7, but any time into the throttle to try and drive leaned it out to the 18-19 afr range.
If anyone wants to try it out who has any cold tip-in issues in the 1500+ rpm range, try adjusting the values from 128 up a bit and see if it helps. Then let us know of course lol.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
any chance I could get these patches for the 88580014 rom? After reading all this it seems like excatly the stuff I need to fix my problems
Old Jan 5, 2010, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bump... pretty desperate for this? any aussies out there?
Old Jan 13, 2010, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by logic
For 96530006, the addresses to add to the MUT table (from mrfred's second post) appear to be; note that these are two-byte values, so each value is two MUT table entries:
Code:
60-61 Sync Base FPW			(to be determined)
62-63 Sync Load Accel FPW		ffff8a72 & ffff8a73
64-65 Sync Load Decel FPW Subtraction	ffff8a74 & ffff8a75
66-67 Sync Load Change Idle FPW		(doesn't exist)
68-69 Total Sync FPW			ffff8a6a & ffff8a6b
6A-6B Async Accel FPW			ffff8b38 & ffff8b39
6C-6D Cranking FPW			ffff8afa & ffff8afb
6E-6F Primer Pulse			ffff8ba8 & ffff8ba9
For "Sync Base FPW", we'll need to get the patch portion of mrfred's post ported over first, but I thought it might be helpful to get this into people's hands sooner rather than later.

(It looks like FFFF8A68 or 8A64 should be workable for Sync Base FPW, in case Eric or someone else gets a chance to look at the patch before I do. And on that note, time for lunch. )
Has anybody looked at this patch for the Sync Base FPW on 96530006?

I have a log of the other channels and there is a very distinct step in the total sync FPW right in the area I've been reporting driveability problems. It may or may not be related to the load based sync accel/deccel portions, but I'd like to see what the Base FPW is doing too.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Post or attach the log. Some of those enrichments have max tps cutoffs, etc. I would be curious to see if any of your steps are occuring during something like tps cutoff limits.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

I'll post it tonight, just can't put it up right now. It's only about 15 second long, but it shows fairly well the issue I've been running into below 1500 RPM.

Over the period of 1 sample, 0.2 second (lots of stuff being logged on stock baud rate).
Code:
                              Sample 1          Sample 2
Total Sync FPW                  328               464
IPW                            3.328            4.608
Load                            66                67.2
RPM                           1531.25            1562.5
Sync Load Accel                  0                124
Sync Load Decel                  0                 0
AFR Map                       14.36              14.36
Omni                           86.6               88.2
The AFR goes from 16.5:1 to 14.5:1 within a few more samples and the car went from stumbling to accelerating at this point too.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Maybe I can do some DMA logs, too. I have the problem (or very similar problem) on E85 only when cold. After about 2-5 minutes of engine running, it's gone.

My issue is that it will go very lean and the engine completely stops, as if the fuel isn't being burned/ignited at all. It may be a side effect of E85 in the cold or something with the async or sync load IPW additions and/or timing additions/subtractions. I think I have most of the timing stuff taken out of play though.

I'm wondering possibly if maybe too much fuel is being injected since I have altered most of the IPW running maps way back when they were discovered too. Or maybe as simple as too much fuel, too cold for E85 with stock heat range plugs to ignite at cold temps?

I just never got around to getting a log with these variables....I did use LiveMap to watch a log while it was happening, but only with basic stuff like IPW and timing and it didn't seem to be doing anything weird. That's why maybe, at least in my case, I was thinking something with async.

Maybe I can put a few suspect tables in RAM and try adjustments realtime from one extreme to the next and see what happens. I just haven't had any time to do it or the lack of motivation to do it. I just get the car going as good as I can and within 2 minutes it's warm enough not to have the issue. I found that if I use very slight TPS modulation it is better, but still barely drivable (sometimes I just have to barely hold the throttle open and wait for the mixture to start igniting again it seems), so I'm thinking TPS based enrichment may be involved, or lack of, since some async/sync tables stop after a certain TPS.

It's really weird though. When dead cold (I mean temps near 0 ambient). I know you shouldn't be revving the car cold, but if I quickly do a stab to 100% throttle or even 50% throttle, the car just shuts down almost. Something weird is definitely happening. Too much fuel, too little fuel, etc. Once warmed for a few minutes, the issue is completely gone. I need to get a log to see what's going on. I may simply have too much IPW adder in the colder temp ranges that is compounded by async/sync TPS addition.

Edit: BTW, are your issues on gas or E85?

Last edited by l2r99gst; Jan 13, 2010 at 12:28 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

I'll start a new thread about this issue tonight to keep from cluttering up this excellent thread.

Having the complete log being visible will help show how erratic the ECU is under the conditions that cause this issue. At one point, the accel and decel enrichments are practically maxed out at the same time. The ecu is adding fuel, just to take it away. Odd...
Old Jan 15, 2010, 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

A real quick question, I'm experiencing some major leaning out as ambient temps warmed up today (about 25* warmer than when I tuned the fuel tables) and I want to try adjusting the compensation in the table labeled Air Density Compensation for Load and IPW, but every time I try adjusting the values it completely zeroes that cell out. Why does it do this? I just want to avoid having to retune 3 months worth of work.

*Edit: I found a duplicate of that same table but labeled slightly different (96531706) and with a much different scaling listed in it. That table allows me to adjust the values with no issue, but if I remove it and try to use the table and scaling listed here, it zeroes all values out as soon as you try to adjust it.

Last edited by Slo_crx1; Jan 15, 2010 at 06:17 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 09:54 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Slo_crx1
A real quick question, I'm experiencing some major leaning out as ambient temps warmed up today (about 25* warmer than when I tuned the fuel tables) and I want to try adjusting the compensation in the table labeled Air Density Compensation for Load and IPW, but every time I try adjusting the values it completely zeroes that cell out. Why does it do this? I just want to avoid having to retune 3 months worth of work.

*Edit: I found a duplicate of that same table but labeled slightly different (96531706) and with a much different scaling listed in it. That table allows me to adjust the values with no issue, but if I remove it and try to use the table and scaling listed here, it zeroes all values out as soon as you try to adjust it.
You found another one of my bad scaling definitions. I've updated the first post with the corrected scaling.

Edit: Just want to mention that AFR varies pretty strongly with my car as well but it leans out as it gets colder. As soon as I'm done with some maintenance and updateds, I'm planning to use that same table to try to tune it out.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 10:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mrfred
You found another one of my bad scaling definitions. I've updated the first post with the corrected scaling.

Edit: Just want to mention that AFR varies pretty strongly with my car as well but it leans out as it gets colder. As soon as I'm done with some maintenance and updateds, I'm planning to use that same table to try to tune it out.
Thanks, I'll update my xml.

I found it rather odd as well that my SD is completely opposite of my old MAF setup when it comes to ambient temp changes, it's completely backwards from what I'm used to. I found a thread where Roadspike had the same issue, turned out he had some scaling issues with his MAT scaling, so I'll try grabbing the latest V7 SD and see if they are the same (oddly my MAT and IAT scaling tables are not the same size, not sure how that works). Otherwise, let's hope that table helps out lol.

*Edit: I found one more thing regarding the 9653 air density table...the address listed in that table that references AirDensComp lists 36dc as the address, which when you try to change the values still gives you all zeroes. However, the original table from the rom references AirTempFactor for the scaling and uses the address 333e. Oddly, if you leave the 36dc address and change the scaling to AirTempFactor, it adjusts without zeroing out. That being the case, which table to I adjust? My head is spinning lol.

Last edited by Slo_crx1; Jan 15, 2010 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Edited to add info
Old Jan 16, 2010, 06:50 AM
EvoM Guru

*Edit: I found one more thing regarding the 9653 air density table...the address listed in that table that references AirDensComp lists 36dc as the address, which when you try to change the values still gives you all zeroes. However, the original table from the rom references AirTempFactor for the scaling and uses the address 333e. Oddly, if you leave the 36dc address and change the scaling to AirTempFactor, it adjusts without zeroing out. That being the case, which table to I adjust? My head is spinning lol.
Post up the scaling for the other table.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

Here's the scaling listed for the stock table:

<scaling name="AirTempFactor" units="Fraction" toexpr="x/64" frexpr="x*64" format="%.2f" min="0" max="2" inc="0.02" storagetype="uint8" endian="big"/>

Also I noticed during some logs today that my IAT is reading at 105*, which seems really high to me seeing that ambient is still only 40-45* outside. Any of my previous logs shows 42-46* when ambient is around 20* outside, so 105* is a helluva jump and probably why it's running so lean.

I tried adjusting the table in question a little but that had some pretty undesired effects on idle afr (around the 16-17afr range) and getting into the throttle a bit while sitting still showed afr's jumping to around 20:1 so I set the table back to stock for now. I ended up adding about .6 extra into the fuel map to bring it back up to where it should be, but my throttle tip-in is still screwed up (initial tip-in is at 16-17afr now instead of the 13.5 I used to see) so I'm guessing that TPS delta is also tied in with some type of IAT correction as well. And on top of it, my boost has dropped from 23-24psi to 19-20psi, probably also dependent on the IAT temps.

Last edited by Slo_crx1; Jan 16, 2010 at 02:26 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 02:35 PM
EvoM Guru

Here's the scaling listed for the stock table:

<scaling name="AirTempFactor" units="Fraction" toexpr="x/64" frexpr="x*64" format="%.2f" min="0" max="2" inc="0.02" storagetype="uint8" endian="big"/>

Also I noticed during some logs today that my IAT is reading at 105*, which seems really high to me seeing that ambient is still only 40-45* outside. Any of my previous logs shows 42-46* when ambient is around 20* outside, so 105* is a helluva jump and probably why it's running so lean.

I tried adjusting the table in question a little but that had some pretty undesired effects on idle afr (around the 16-17afr range) and getting into the throttle a bit while sitting still showed afr's jumping to around 20:1 so I set the table back to stock for now. I ended up adding about .6 extra into the fuel map to bring it back up to where it should be, but my throttle tip-in is still screwed up (initial tip-in is at 16-17afr now instead of the 13.5 I used to see) so I'm guessing that TPS delta is also tied in with some type of IAT correction as well. And on top of it, my boost has dropped from 23-24psi to 19-20psi, probably also dependent on the IAT temps.
ok, the updated scaling that I posted (<scaling name="AirDensComp" units="Air Density Correction" toexpr="x/129" frexpr="x*129" format="%.3f" min="0" max="2" inc="0.01" storagetype="uint8" endian="big"/>) should give appropriate values. They won't like like the ones in the other table, but that's just the scaling difference that I used which has a physical representation.

Anyhow, the cause of the high IATs perhaps need more attention. If your sensor is located in the UICP, I can't see how they could get that high. If its in the IM, then perhaps those temps are reasonable, but seems unlikely given the ambient air temps. Might be a good idea to pull out the sensor and take a look at it.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 10:23 PM
Evolved Member

Planned on pulling the sensor tomorrow and taking a look, I've heard some stories about vibrations causing the leads to break off or loosen on the thermistor.

As for the scaling, how it displays wasn't really what bothered me, it was the physical addresses being different between the table in the rom and the one listed here for 9653 that really got me wondering.

Quick Reply: Advanced fuel control options