Notices
ECU Flash

Advanced fuel control options

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2009, 10:11 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by nonschlont
pretty much at the top right under (mode 2) and still nada...
It worked fine for me this afternoon. However, I will be posting a slightly revised patch soon. I'm revising the suggested logging order.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 10:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfred
It worked fine for me this afternoon. However, I will be posting a slightly revised patch soon. I'm revising the suggested logging order.
ya Ive had issues editing the .xml w/ 2.5 from day 1. Might be time to upgrade... I tried using the 2.6 beta version a while back, and it wouldnt find the com for the WB for some reason. So Im a lil worried about that...

subscribed
Old Oct 29, 2009, 01:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking at the formula for BFPW, I see that STFT and LTFT are used. Does this mean that fuel trims play a roll in open loop fueling? From what I have read, some people say yes and some people say no.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 07:38 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by MattS00
Looking at the formula for BFPW, I see that STFT and LTFT are used. Does this mean that fuel trims play a roll in open loop fueling? From what I have read, some people say yes and some people say no.
STFT has no effect on open loop fueling because it always goes to zero. I'm definitely curious about whether LTFTs affect open loop. I need to spend more time looking at the trim that is affected by LTFT.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 10:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
edit: wrong thread... sorry

Last edited by nonschlont; Nov 1, 2009 at 12:57 AM.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 06:56 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by nonschlont
has any1 noticed that when you disable FCA bit. 13, 14, 15,
(IX Rom 88590715) it changes periphery 2hex from EDDF, to 0DDF. Is this normal? I have disabled all the bits manually. I tried using 0x0001 (once al of the other bits were disabled manually, besides 13,14,15), and it disabled bits. 13, 14, and 15, and 11,10,8,7,6,4,3,2,1,0.

So my question is, should I leave it as 0DDF, or should I set it as 0001, and change the rest of the bits back, or leave the rest of the bits disabled?
Wrong thread?
Old Oct 31, 2009, 09:21 AM
EvoM Guru

I finally got around to trying the fuel pulse monitoring patch on my own Evo. It works as expected. I'm going to start accumulating data in various driving conditions to understand what contributions matter at what times.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 08:14 PM
EvoM Guru

The fuel pulse width contribution monitoring patch has been moved to its own thread, and fuel pulse widdth description thread has been expanded and divided between the 1st and 2nd post.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm trying to fix some start up issues on my IDC 1000s. I believe I know which direction I need to go on the pulsewidth. But I want to get a better understand on these tables and see if I can actually derive a method to adjust start up when changing injectors and not just blindly changing values until it works.

I'm using 9653XXX6.

Originally Posted by mrfred
2) Cranking fuel pulse width
This is fuel pulse width that controls sync IPW while the starter is cranking

Two different cranking FPWs are calculated. One is used while the starter is engaged, and the other appears to be momentarily used just after the starter is disengaged. I will only cover the value that is used while the starter is engaged. The formula for the cranking FPW while the starter is engaged is:

CFPW = constant*(TCOMP/128)*(CRANKINGTIMECOMP/128)*(UCOMP/128)*Baro + InjectorLatency

* TCOMP = 2D compensation table vs coolant temp
* CRANKINGTIMECOMP = 2D compensation table vs the length of time that the starter has been engaged
* UCOMP = 2D compensation vs an unknown time interval. A measure of the number of times a specific subroutine has been called. Probably shouldn't be adjusted, so I am not including a definition for this table.
* Baro = barometric pressure.
Is that constant adjustable? It seems like it would be a great canidate for scaling the cranking enrichment for different injectors?

Everything else looks like a multiplier and should probably be scaled as percent 128 instead of the TimeTCOMPCrankingHack that is used on the TCOMP table. The intention behind this suggested change is that the curves could beleft constant and a simple single value change should correct any issues from an injector change.

Also, on the speed density patch, that baro dependency looks a little concerning, as baro is now fixed and this table looks like it is a direct IPW calculation that is dependent on air mass. Right now I have baro set to 101 kPa, where actual Baro is 85 kPa and when heading up in the mountains, it's not hard to reach the 70 kPa range. It's not the absolute value I'm worried about, as it would be easy to tune the car at 4500'. But then going up to the mountains, I could end up 20% rich. Last thing I want to do is return from a mountain hike at sun down in -10F weather and find I can't start my car. Not a good situation.

Last edited by 03whitegsr; Dec 4, 2009 at 09:45 AM.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 10:50 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by 03whitegsr
I'm trying to fix some start up issues on my IDC 1000s. I believe I know which direction I need to go on the pulsewidth. But I want to get a better understand on these tables and see if I can actually derive a method to adjust start up when changing injectors and not just blindly changing values until it works.

I'm using 9653XXX6.

Is that constant adjustable? It seems like it would be a great canidate for scaling the cranking enrichment for different injectors?

Everything else looks like a multiplier and should probably be scaled as percent 128 instead of the TimeTCOMPCrankingHack that is used on the TCOMP table. The intention behind this suggested change is that the curves could beleft constant and a simple single value change should correct any issues from an injector change.

Also, on the speed density patch, that baro dependency looks a little concerning, as baro is now fixed and this table looks like it is a direct IPW calculation that is dependent on air mass. Right now I have baro set to 101 kPa, where actual Baro is 85 kPa and when heading up in the mountains, it's not hard to reach the 70 kPa range. It's not the absolute value I'm worried about, as it would be easy to tune the car at 4500'. But then going up to the mountains, I could end up 20% rich. Last thing I want to do is return from a mountain hike at sun down in -10F weather and find I can't start my car. Not a good situation.
Yes, the constant is adjustable. If this constant is allowed to be adjusted, then it would throw off the scaling for the injector open time during cranking. A %128 scaling could be used for the injector open time if the multiplier is allowed to be adjusted. From my perspective, its two ways of looking at how to adjust the values. My preference is to keep the millisecond scaling as it gives me a reference point to compare to idle pulse width.

I think there is value to using the time scaling for the IPW decay table because it is accurate and can be related to real world response.

There is nothing I can easily do about the baro dependency. Something has gotta give with the current SD conversion, and this is one of those things. The SD patch could be written to allow the baro sensor to stay connected, but it would take a ton of work to update the patch, and the MAF would have to stay in the engine compartment.

Last edited by mrfred; Dec 4, 2009 at 04:39 PM.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

I see your point on the time scaling stuff. It matches what you see in a standalone doing it as you have. Somebody mentioned that while trying to scale the IDC1000s, they got to the lowest value in the table and the next step was zero, which prvented the car from starting. I also noticed the scaling increment could still be reduced though and that may allow to get down to the desired value.

What about a patch that would grab the MAP sensor reading on inital key on and then use it in situations like this?

Last edited by 03whitegsr; Dec 4, 2009 at 11:33 AM.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

I see your point on the time scaling stuff. It matches what you see in a standalone doing it as you have. Somebody mentioned that while trying to scale the IDC1000s, they got to the lowest value in the table and the next step was zero, which prvented the car from starting. I also noticed the scaling increment could still be reduced though and that may allow to get down to the desired value.

What about a patch that would grab the MAP sensor reading on inital key on and then use it in situations like this?
That was me......1.8 is the lowest i can go, the next step is zero and the car did not fire and registered 0 ipw at start-up logging.

My id1000 woes does not seem to be anything that can be tuned out - I have been trying to tune it out since April of this year and I have never had a change make me think I was onto something. Even with these new tables no changes seem to make a difference and I have made drastic changes just to get a reaction and its always the same or worse....
Old Dec 4, 2009, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Edit:
I got these tables from another thread and they look to be incorrect. Until they are looked at more carefully, I wouldn't edit them.

Last edited by 03whitegsr; Dec 4, 2009 at 05:49 PM.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 01:35 PM
Evolved Member

edited - as requested, due to correction of post above.

Last edited by travman; Dec 4, 2009 at 07:09 PM.
Old Dec 5, 2009, 01:08 AM
EvoM Guru

Yep, I considered that method, and it could be done, but it would take some time. Until its proven that its needed, I don't plan to think about it further.

I happened to see those tables that you posted before you removed them. 3810 is never called in the 9653 ROM, and 1659 (actually 1658) is a value related to tip-in accel. It is utilized in a section of code that is specifically not called when the starter is cranking. 3822 is the unknown compensation (UCOMP) for cranking IPW that I mentioned in the advanced fuel control options thread. Its not vs RPM, but fiddling with that table would have a similar effect as fiddling with the cranking IPW TCOMP table that I posted. Are you aware that logic translated most of the 8859 advanced fuel control tables over to 9653?

Quick Reply: Advanced fuel control options