Notices
ECU Flash

Serial port with Evoscan...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2009, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Serial port with Evoscan...

Does Evoscan recognize a real serial port? My laptop has a serial port, and I tried using it along with an adaptor I made to log my AEM Analog wideband O2 gauge output. I get no reading.

If it is not a problem from using the serial port instead of a serial to USB adaptor, I suspect it is a problem with the outputs from my gauge not matching other AEM products. The Analog gauge has a + and - signal wire instead of just the + signal wire and ground on pin 5.... and the instructions don't come with a pinout for attaching to a serial cable.... if the - signal wire is not a replacement for the ground on pin 5 I will not be able to use this without the proper pinout diagram.

Also, on the drop downs for wideband use, mine is not one of the ones listed, what problems will I encounter from this?

Thanks,

Keith
Old Oct 31, 2009, 09:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There need to be four wires going to/from your AEM UEGO wideband O2:
- switched power (red)
- common ground (black)
- serial output stream (blue)
- analog output (white)

Normal serial port is fine.

AEM UEGO is one of the options in the WideBand (WDB) drop-down menu in EvoScan.

Click on the 'External Wideband A/F Ratio' in the Items to Data Log pane on the left hand side to log AFR.

See this post for more info:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/6957804-post2.html

Last edited by SoCal Rally; Oct 31, 2009 at 09:52 AM. Reason: corrected to state there are actually 4 wires, and add colors
Old Oct 31, 2009, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SoCal Rally
There need to be four wires going to/from your AEM UEGO wideband O2:
- switched power (red)
- common ground (black)
- serial output stream (blue)
- analog output (white)

Normal serial port is fine.

AEM UEGO is one of the options in the WideBand (WDB) drop-down menu in EvoScan.

Click on the 'External Wideband A/F Ratio' in the Items to Data Log pane on the left hand side to log AFR.

See this post for more info:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/6957804-post2.html
I don't have an AEM UEGO. I have the AEM Analog meter.

It has 8 wires even though some of them are common locations:

2 Red wires to a 5A fused non-switched 12V power source
2 Black wires to ground
1 pink wire to a switched 12V source
1 grey wire to instrument lights
1 white wire to analog output {+}
1 brown wire to analog output (-)

Now, as I said before, there isn't a drop down for the AEM Analog A/F meter in Evoscan, so what drop down of the available options can I use?

Keith
Old Oct 31, 2009, 11:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Okay, you're somewhat confuse here. Since the AEM wideband you are using does not have a digital serial data output stream, it's not possible for your to connect your AEM to your PC using a serial port (so forget about serial ports, USB-serial adapters etc.)

All hope is not lost however if your AEM has an analog output, like you seem to indicate it has. You can feed the analog signal into a spare ADC (analog to digital converter) pin on the ECU, and let the ECU convert the analog signal to a digital one for you. The trick is find a spare ADC pin, and connect the AFR analog output to it.

On Evos, I believe one option to do this is by disconnecting the rear O2 signal, and connecting the AFR analog output there instead. I think there may be one or two other options for Evos as well. I have no idea about this w.r.t. to a 2010 Ralliart.

Of course, and this may be the easiest option, you could always just sell your AEM analog meter, and just buy a AEM UEGO, or other AFR meter with a digital serial output stream like the Zeitronix ZT-2.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SoCal Rally
Okay, you're somewhat confuse here. Since the AEM wideband you are using does not have a digital serial data output stream, it's not possible for your to connect your AEM to your PC using a serial port (so forget about serial ports, USB-serial adapters etc.)

All hope is not lost however if your AEM has an analog output, like you seem to indicate it has. You can feed the analog signal into a spare ADC (analog to digital converter) pin on the ECU, and let the ECU convert the analog signal to a digital one for you. The trick is find a spare ADC pin, and connect the AFR analog output to it.

On Evos, I believe one option to do this is by disconnecting the rear O2 signal, and connecting the AFR analog output there instead. I think there may be one or two other options for Evos as well. I have no idea about this w.r.t. to a 2010 Ralliart.

Of course, and this may be the easiest option, you could always just sell your AEM analog meter, and just buy a AEM UEGO, or other AFR meter with a digital serial output stream like the Zeitronix ZT-2.
Yeah, I just figured a bunch of this out by looking at the AEM UEGO instructions on line and realizing it has a digital output for use with a serial port...

I have no doubt I can use the rear O2 sensor input to connect with Evoscan, but nobody has yet looked up the address in the 2010 Ralliart ROM for the rear O2 sensor... so I need developer help on that score.

Keith