Notices
ECU Flash

uninstalled ecuflash, and installing same version...WTF?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2009, 10:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
uninstalled ecuflash, and installing same version...WTF?

ok, so I have been trying to make some additions to my current .xmls w/ 0 success, (note: never had a prob) and decided to uninstall the entire program, and reinstalled 4 times now, and I get the same thing... I took the stock .xmls and loaded them up w/ the patchs that I need (manually, not using the r3compile .xml), and when I pull up a rom, even the "stock" rom, it's showing me that its reading off of
r3compiles .xml's...

I have deleted all folders, and anything that said ecuflash from list of program files. start/ all programs, from start/comp/program files" and the desktop...

I even tried dl the program from the site, again, and not the 1 that was on the desktop...

If I had any hair, I would be pulling it out... lol Any ideas???

TIA
Old Dec 16, 2009, 11:19 PM
Evolved Member

Note: its showing up reading r3compiles .xml's, w/ Completely Stock .xml's
Old Dec 17, 2009, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

I guess no1 has experienced this...

I make a copy of the original .xml provided w/ the program, place it on the desktop, make the additions, pull out the original, and place the copy, back in. (I erase "copy from the name) and still reading r3compiles .xml's...

Uggg my comp. is fkn w/ me! Im @ a loss, and have no clue! Any ideas, guesses or even a shot in the dark...

TIA
Old Dec 18, 2009, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

bump for any thoughts... Using 1.42. Should I try installing a different version, maybe???
Old Dec 18, 2009, 11:30 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
very odd, i have never heard of this. Have you tried a different computer to make sure you are doing the process right?
Old Dec 18, 2009, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MR Turco
very odd, i have never heard of this. Have you tried a different computer to make sure you are doing the process right?
thanks for the response. ya, figured that not too many ppl have encountered somethig this retarded. My comp is fkn w/ me! I think I need to have geeksquad look at it... Although I run a full scan, and all is good... IDK This is the only laptop I own, and the first as well, so Im completely at a loss...

I go thru comp/program files/ecuflash, etc. Pull out file, or make a copy, make the changes, and place back in, (as I always have) so I believe Im going about it the correct way... As far as the uninstall, I have tried doing it thru the uninstall in the ecuflash folder, as well as the control panel...

This is quite frustrating as there are new finds quite often, (mrfred is on fire) and I try to keep up w/ the new finds.

Last edited by nonschlont; Dec 18, 2009 at 11:52 AM.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 12:06 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I typically just edit the files in the folder. you could also try removing a popular rom ID file, open the rom in ecu flash and see if it gives you an error. That way you can make sure it is looking for the file in the correct location.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MR Turco
I typically just edit the files in the folder. you could also try removing a popular rom ID file, open the rom in ecu flash and see if it gives you an error. That way you can make sure it is looking for the file in the correct location.
I really appreciate the advice as Im basically stuck... I will try that when I get home!
Old Dec 20, 2009, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you familiar with using regedit.exe? information is stored in the regisrtry but you need to go to options in ecuflash then path it to the new metadata folder. when you uninstall did you delete the folder? Vista likes to cache information as well. ecuflash setup will backup the xml's and if you installed 4 times you might have several backup folders. I realize this is all over the place you can pm me if you want or need specifics.

Good Luck
Old Dec 20, 2009, 09:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by oldevodude
Are you familiar with using regedit.exe? information is stored in the regisrtry but you need to go to options in ecuflash then path it to the new metadata folder. when you uninstall did you delete the folder? Vista likes to cache information as well. ecuflash setup will backup the xml's and if you installed 4 times you might have several backup folders. I realize this is all over the place you can pm me if you want or need specifics.

Good Luck
Im not familiar at all, but bingo! that did the trick. Apparently there were still 2 folders that it "cached" (thought I deleted them) and was reading from the wrong 1. I havent tried editing the .xmls, or swapping for the modified, yet, but its now reading the stock romettadata. Thank you for the advice.
cheers to u sir!

Last edited by nonschlont; Dec 20, 2009 at 11:38 PM.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 10:53 PM
Evolved Member

well, I was hoping that I could figure it out from there... But apparently Im not that comp. savy...

I deleted all folders I could find! Uninstalled-reinstalled, and is finding the stock .xml, but when I go to place my .xmls in, its still reading from "stock" .xmls now... lol I have played different paths, and 2 lead to the stock .xmls, 1 leads to a parse line error, and 1 leads to the r3compile .xml.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 06:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Why not just remove the xml files you are not wanting and put in the ones you do ?

You could also try the windows search feature and look for anyting with *.xml . It will find all of the .xml files on the computer. Then just delete the ones you don't want.

If you are for sure wanting to delete the older version, windows has a installer clean up utility that will perminantly delete installed programs and their installer files. Search Microsoft's website to get the utility.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Appauldd
Why not just remove the xml files you are not wanting and put in the ones you do ?

You could also try the windows search feature and look for anyting with *.xml . It will find all of the .xml files on the computer. Then just delete the ones you don't want.

If you are for sure wanting to delete the older version, windows has a installer clean up utility that will perminantly delete installed programs and their installer files. Search Microsoft's website to get the utility.
I do remove all other .xml pertaining to my rom, (in both locations) to no avail. I have tried everything that my lil mind can think of... Keep in mind, I didnt even know how to use my laptop when I got it a couple years ago. Learning as I go...

thanks appauldd! will look into that... this is fkn frustrating!!! I got all excited last night, thinking I got it... lol There is still some damn files being stored somewhere, I just cant locate them... As is, I can use "stock" .xml (which I dont know where its being looked up) or use the "r3compile" .xml's (which I dont know where there being looked up) I spent an hour last night just searching through the comp, and couldnt find anymore files... So basically just put r3compiles .xmls back in, and directed it to read r3compiles .xml... Back to square 1!
W/ your guys help, Im getting there, and learning more about my comp.! thank you for your insight!!!

Last edited by nonschlont; Dec 21, 2009 at 01:29 PM.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 12:11 AM
Evolved Member

ok, well... wow. Got it! The answer was right under my nose! So when you pull up any file, on the right hand side in ecuflash, it tells you the path that its looking thru... lol It just so happends that it somehow changed its path (possibly on re-installation) from comp/program files/ecuflash, etc.
to phil (my name)/desktop/ecuflash/rometadata... thought to myself, it cant be that easy, but indeed was... Just edit the .xmls thru the path its looking thru, and all good!

I have already made changes to the .xmls to make sure it was working properly, and indeed is... FINALLY!

Thanks for the insight/help guys! I really appreciate it!
Old Dec 22, 2009, 03:46 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

good to hear you fixed it. Odd that it changed file path.