Notices
ECU Flash

VDR Reality Check: 3°F ambient 4th gear pulls inside

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2010, 02:03 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
VDR Reality Check: 3°F ambient 4th gear pulls inside

So I wanted to see how the car looked in VDR while the ambient temps have been getting pretty frigid here in MN. Last night driving the wife's car we saw -28°F on the dash:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2882713...36522/sizes/m/

But that's not the topic here...today it was about 3°F ambient on my way to the store to get some supplies to make some wicked game-day nachos. The car has been boost creeping when it gets this cold, so I bumped up boost control in that area to just let it stay high to see what it'd do. 28.5psi peak (but not typical peak, see graph below) and around 27psi at peak whp, MAT logs included as well:

It's so cold, at the end of a 4th gear pull coolant temps will drop to below 165°F...perhaps my mishimoto radiator is overkill in this weather?

Anyways, on to the graphs! This is on PUMP GAS only (BP 93), alky is switched off!

Comparator mode:

Dynojet mode:

These numbers seem crazy high to me! The car feels fantastic but here's what I logged this summer:

There's no way I'm up 100whp with extra cool temps, speed density conversion, MAP's Rev2 exhaust manifold (over buschur ported), and a little extra boost right? Timing numbers are nearly identical.

Mod list:
Buschur Racing 3" TBE w/ bullet testpipe
Buschur Racing Intake w/Perrin filter
BR Race FMIC
Custom LICP
BR Upper IC Pipe
OEM IX BOV
AMS/TMS L19 headstuds
MAP Stage 3 Ported Head
Kelford 272 cams
GSC beehive valve springs
MAP Rev2 Ported/Coated Exhaust Manifold
CBRD BBK turbo
MAP ported/coated turbine housing
BR SS O2 Housing
BR Ported Intake Manifold w/ EGR delete
BR 65MM TB
Walbro 255HP fuel pump
4x Kracka Vent setup w/ ebay catch-can
Buschur dipstick retention spring
Aquamist HFS-1 Alky Injection Kit
FIC 1050cc injectors
GM BCS
OmniPower 4-bar MAP sensor
Innovative LC-1
GM IAT
MAF Deleted
Tephra 96351706 w/EGR Elim, Direct boost, and speed density mods

Last edited by scheides; Jan 3, 2010 at 02:32 PM.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Im not sure if its the 3rd to 4th comparison or what is going on there...... One thing i do know for sure is my VDR stays VERY accurate from pull to pull AND in comparison to AMS Dyno jet using un corrected #s.... And i use VDR A LOT!!!
Old Jan 3, 2010, 02:22 PM
EvoM Moderator

One is third gear, one is fourth, but I did third gear pulls today as well and they were nearly identical. I just posted the 4th gear pull because it was the longest (started the lowest rpm and rev'd out the highest rpm).
Old Jan 3, 2010, 02:24 PM
EvoM Moderator

Here's the log, btw. I think this is from the 3rd or 4th pull.

http://scheides.com/misc/pics/evo/dy...comparator.csv

I think I'm still using the same version of EvoScan as this summer, is there something that I'm missing?
Old Jan 3, 2010, 02:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think 479whp is more realistic than 370. 370 with those mods and meth is very low. Very nice setup and choice of mods. That's about perfect for an evo streetcar.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 02:31 PM
EvoM Moderator

Oh, back up, sorry. This is with NO METH! This is on straight pump gas!

Edited first post to clarify that, sorry.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 05:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Did you try the weather correction? The number you got is calculated using 77 F.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 06:28 PM
EvoM Moderator

It's disabled by default, but turning it on I still hit 438whp in evoM Comparator mode and 473whp in dynojet mode.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 06:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I guess that sounds more reasonable than 100 WHP difference to me.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

I would re log and make 100% sure your on FLAT ground. That's the thing with this HP calc.... It works VERY well but HAS to be on FLAT ground. If going downhill its going to read higher and up-hill lower obviously.

I honestly dunno why your getting such a large variance in your #s as mine i can practically lay over top of each other if i do 3-4 pulls in a row with a few minutes cool down of course... Hell i got a dyno chart and a VDR that when i was giving Jack some dyno data info for this software that i can practically lay over top of one another. HP was pretty much identical within a few HP from 3K on up to 9,000RPM I was VERY impressed to say the least!! And the #s as i have said before are always within a few HP from pull to pull and have continued to be very accurate for me.

Now from time to time you will get a crazy pull just like i would get in data log lab "which is what i would use before when i had no immediate access to a dyno" and u know to just mark it off if its way off from what u usually get. I think a lot of that is dude to how much information your PC is picking up or hitting bumps to spinning tires etc... I always do a few runs back to back to make sure im getting good solid runs in. Also if you get any wheel spin it throws it off pretty bad as well. I know when i try to get a VDR on 41psi my car spins in 3rd gear pretty nicely, especially when its cold out and it messes it all up lol.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 07:11 PM
EvoM Moderator

The runs are very consistent pull to pull, I did at least 10 today that were very very close to each other, all on as flat ground as possible, steering straight, etc.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

I loaded your runs from the log file you posted and they look kind of odd to me. Especially how they drop power so abruptly. The car is dropping 70WHP+ from 6500-7500RPM.... For that turbo and mods it just doesn't sound/look right.. Of course i couldn't see your timing advance or A/F ratios in the logs either. Are you feeling this abrupt power drop from 6500-7500RPM??
Old Jan 3, 2010, 08:12 PM
EvoM Moderator

I think boost is just dropping off up there, the car usually runs 25psi flat to 8000, I will be looking at the timing up there this week and see what's going on. I've been on speed density for a while now but I just upgraded to a 4-bar map sensor and am still dialing it in.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 10:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Well if you are used to running 25psi and now all of a sudden you are running 28 and in cold weather....you are going to see a huge increase in power. The cold air is more dense, thus more oxygen. blah, blah, blah,

I think it is pretty common for a turbo car to have an increase in power in the winter....They love cold air.

In your case it makes me wonder if you are leaving a lot of power on the table. Maybe your tune is a little conservative, thus you can boost higher in colder weather without any issues.

I bet your car is a blast to drive with that much power.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 01:36 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Can we see a 3rd gear pull using Comparator to compare to the old pull?

Quick Reply: VDR Reality Check: 3°F ambient 4th gear pulls inside