Notices
ECU Flash

DIY - Trip computer

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2010, 01:26 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by acamus
OEM clock connector is plugged directly without modification.
So battery, ground, dimm and illumination are out of question.
There are three additional wires IIRC to be crimped on the original harness
1. injector signal (any of the four) EVO7 ECU PIN 1/2/4/5
2. vehicle speed signal EVO7 ECU PIN 86
3. fuel level signal - wire running from fuel gauge unit PIN1 to combination meter PIN 51
I would think you need tach wire too, but I assume this could be derived from the injector firing.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 01:56 PM
wip
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RE: Injector PW scaling for the fitment of bigger injectors...

I'm on MLR at the mo, a russian mate of a member on there is checking out the forums for any info

EDIT: No joy

Last edited by wip; Jan 14, 2010 at 02:10 PM.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
For those who are curious, the units are on their way to those of us who decided to order them.

acamus, can you recommend any good (low-budget) choices for a PIC programmer that doesn't require a physical serial port? I don't need a burner (I already have an old Willem parallel programmer), just something that'll do ICSP, and preferably work with some Linux software (pikdev, piklab, picprog, etc).

Pickit2 clones on eBay look like the best deal right now (and pikdev looks like it supports it, with some partial support in piklab); this looks like the most bare-bones version available. I'd really love to find something off-the-shelf that behaves like a JDM-style programmer, but uses an FTDI chip instead so you don't have to deal with the power problems, because just about every PIC programming package you'd ever want to use supports the JDM hardware.

I'd also come across this Cytron device, which appears to sell almost as cheaply as the JDM programmers, but chip support looks pretty weak. It's apparently compatible with Pickit2 software?

Last edited by logic; Feb 5, 2010 at 02:54 PM.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 12:06 AM
Evolved Member

Location: Lattitude 48.38°, Longitude 17.58°, Altitude 146m = Slovakia, for common dude
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Not really, if I would need one I would just build one on prototyping board.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

I should have guessed that you'd say that.

I'm lazy right now, I have enough parts strewn over my desk (my wife has me working on a couple of electronics projects) that $13 on eBay looks pretty good to me at the moment.

I suspect the injector scaling will be really easy to find; I have both an Evo and WRX version coming to me, so a quick comparison of the two ROMs should make that jump right out.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 10:32 PM
Evolving Member

I'm insterested but the metric bugs me. LOL. I'm not use to it.

Logic, when are you going to get it? Can you take a picture of it before the install?

I'd like to see a "How to" on this if possible.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 06:35 AM
Evolved Member

According to the tracking info, mine is currently sitting in an international port in Moscow.

I'll be happy to take pictures of it and document the install once it arrives, although it really doesn't look that complicated to install.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 09:05 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by logic
According to the tracking info, mine is currently sitting in an international port in Moscow.

I'll be happy to take pictures of it and document the install once it arrives, although it really doesn't look that complicated to install.
IT looks easy but seeing pics would make it easier. Documentation would help.

Thanks!
Old Feb 22, 2010, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mine is in my mail box today, I will be doing the install as soon as I get home and I'll try and take pictures and do a write-up for everyone
Old Feb 22, 2010, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

Dammit, you got yours before me. Hopefully that means I'll have a package waiting when I get home, or tomorrow at worst.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 10:31 PM
Evolved Member

Only think that I can not figure out with hooking this thing up is which wire exactly you connect the fuel level sensor to. It is separate from the ECU wiring I take it though?
Old Feb 23, 2010, 10:42 PM
Evolved Member

Here's what I received when I opened my package. It included the 2 wires for the temperature sensors, wiring harness ( I labeled mine already to make things much easier when I go to install), and the manual that I can't read because it's entirely in Russian (was expecting that), and of course the unit itself.

Old Feb 24, 2010, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

I installed it today and I looked through all the diagrams I could find, I can not find the location of the wire for the fuel level sensor. Could anyone tell me where this is?
Old Feb 24, 2010, 08:10 PM
Evolved Member

acamus mentioned earlier in the thread that pin 51 of connector C-02 on the back of the combination meter (gauge cluster) should be what you're looking for; according to the FSM, it's a blue single-row 21-pin plug (the plug should have two prongs on the right side, and three on the left, with a key in the middle; pin 51 is the outside pin on the three-prong side). It's also pin 74 on the ECU, if that's easier to get to.

Sidebar:

Apparently I really screwed this up when I wrote the pinouts for the VIII and IX up on the wiki. I have pin 46 listed as the gauge, and 74 listed as the low-fuel indicator, but that's obviously not right looking over the FSM circuit diagrams; I don't know what I was smoking at the time.

If I'm reading the FSM correctly, pin 46 varies current based on a 6.5 (full) to 78.8 (empty) resistance indicating fuel level on the passenger side of the tank, and pin 74 sees a combination of the resistance from the passenger side and a 6.5-41.2 ohm resistance from the level sender integrated into the fuel sending unit. Does that look right to anyone else?

(acamus, this is veering waaaaaay off-topic, but have you ever looked at the code relating to the fuel pump relay (pin 39 on the USDM cars)? I'm curious what conditions cause the ECU to toggle that relay.)
Old Feb 25, 2010, 02:38 AM
Evolved Member

Location: Lattitude 48.38°, Longitude 17.58°, Altitude 146m = Slovakia, for common dude
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
No, I have not been in that code area yet.

Quick Reply: DIY - Trip computer