Notices
ECU Flash

DIY - Trip computer

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2010, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Sorry Bobby, I have no useful input right now, since the car this is going into isn't running right now. (The battery is beyond dead at this point, and when I parked it the starter was toast and I suspected a spun bearing. )

FWIW, with it on the bench, I can rotate through the screens on mine and see at least voltage and temperature (I had one temperature sensor hooked up). I managed to get the unit into some kind of weird state where it wouldn't switch between screens at one point, but I have no idea how I fixed that; it started working again after I ran through the setup screens a second time.

Can you describe exactly what you're seeing on each screen? (It sounds like you have it wired up correctly.)
Old Mar 3, 2010, 08:40 AM
wip
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by logic
Sorry Bobby, I have no useful input right now, since the car this is going into isn't running right now. (The battery is beyond dead at this point, and when I parked it the starter was toast and I suspected a spun bearing. )

FWIW, with it on the bench, I can rotate through the screens on mine and see at least voltage and temperature (I had one temperature sensor hooked up). I managed to get the unit into some kind of weird state where it wouldn't switch between screens at one point, but I have no idea how I fixed that; it started working again after I ran through the setup screens a second time.

Can you describe exactly what you're seeing on each screen? (It sounds like you have it wired up correctly.)
That'll be because of the 'group' selection I'm guessing?

I did the same thing and wondered why it wouldn't switch.

You have to go back into the 'group' options and enable them all for either 'parked' or 'drive'.

The words in ''s I may be making up though as I can't remember off the top of my head
Old Mar 3, 2010, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

That sounds familiar. If memory serves, I ended up going back in there and selecting "default groups" at one point, and that may have been when it started working "properly" again.

(I've probably spent a grand total of five minutes looking at the docs at this point, so that probably would have jumped out at me eventually. )
Old Mar 3, 2010, 09:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That's fine, just want to get this darn thing working. It's really frustrating being an electronics engineer and not being able to figure this out **sigh**
Old Mar 4, 2010, 05:14 AM
Evolved Member

On the different screens, I get these displays:
1st screen: temp and voltage
2nd: 384km (only one that works) with 0.0L
3rd: 0.0L 0.0km
4th: 0.0km 0.0L/100km
5th: 0.0$ 0.0$/100

Speed also works, but I can't remember which screen that one was on to label it correctly. I did all of the settings they said to do in the instruction manual Ed sent me on the last page.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 06:39 AM
Evolved Member

Location: Lattitude 48.38°, Longitude 17.58°, Altitude 146m = Slovakia, for common dude
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I think you crimped wrong wire, please check it again,
if you have injector correctly wired then you will see L/h and L/100km
If you have fuel level correctly wired you will see also how many km you have till empty.
It seems you have only vehicle speed wired correctly.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 07:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by acamus
I think you crimped wrong wire, please check it again,
if you have injector correctly wired then you will see L/h and L/100km
If you have fuel level correctly wired you will see also how many km you have till empty.
It seems you have only vehicle speed wired correctly.
Yea, I'll have to double check everything. I connected the injector wire to Injector #1, which if I remember right, is an orange wire. Then for the fuel level I used the wire on the back of the gauge cluster, blue plug, end wire white/black.
Old Mar 6, 2010, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

All the wires as far as I can tell are connected correctly. I'm kind of clueless on this one now.
Old Mar 6, 2010, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

If it's any consolation, I'm having some difficulties getting the fuel level and VSS signals to do anything useful on the WRX version I installed today in my wife's car, but some of that has to do with the fact that I never received installation instructions for it, and have been winging it based on wiring docs and guesses about how the trip computer should be set up.

For your installation, the VSS is obviously working, so it's down to the injector and fuel level signals.

Are you using those cheesy vampire clips they provided? (I hate those things, even though I ended up using them on my wife's car for testing; they're just unreliable garbage. Now Posi-Lock connectors, those are actually pretty cool.)

Do you have a multimeter that you could use to test the fuel level signal at the trip computer with (just unplug the TC, and test the terminals on the harness; it should just be a 0-5V signal)?

You won't be able to test the injector signal that way, unless your MM has a peak hold function (or you have a handheld scope lying around ), but it'll at least tell you about one of the problems you're having.

(If all this is obvious stuff and I'm just suggesting things you've already checked, go ahead and tell me to hush up. )
Old Mar 19, 2010, 04:01 PM
Evolved Member

Finally got around to checking all my connections and troubleshooting, it turns out it was one of those chinsy connectors. It tested good on the ecu side then bad on the other for the fuel level signal. I was in a rush when I installed this thing, thankfully that's all that it was, all good now!
Old Mar 20, 2010, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Bobster22388
Finally got around to checking all my connections and troubleshooting, it turns out it was one of those chinsy connectors. It tested good on the ecu side then bad on the other for the fuel level signal. I was in a rush when I installed this thing, thankfully that's all that it was, all good now!
Cool, good to hear; I ended up using those damned vampire clips on my wife's car, and nothing is reading correctly there either. I just haven't had enough time to go back and rewire it properly.

We Evo guys should consider ourselves lucky; mounting the WRX trip computer involves zip ties. Seriously. (It looks nice once you've installed it, though, although the green doesn't quite match the other gauges.)

----

Looking at the Kiwi, it's interesting (although a slightly different product), but at a significantly higher price point, and from what I can tell, doesn't have an OEM-style installation like the SERG unit does. (That's one thing that really sold me on it; it looks like it belongs in the dash once it's installed.)

I'm not so concerned about "trust" here; I'm not basing tuning decisions on the stuff the trip computer is displaying. A wideband, sure; I need an accurate sensor (Bosch or NTK) and a solid interface to it. But a trip computer? Meh. Ballpark estimates are more than good enough for me.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 05:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by logic
Cool, good to hear; I ended up using those damned vampire clips on my wife's car, and nothing is reading correctly there either. I just haven't had enough time to go back and rewire it properly.

We Evo guys should consider ourselves lucky; mounting the WRX trip computer involves zip ties. Seriously. (It looks nice once you've installed it, though, although the green doesn't quite match the other gauges.)

----

Looking at the Kiwi, it's interesting (although a slightly different product), but at a significantly higher price point, and from what I can tell, doesn't have an OEM-style installation like the SERG unit does. (That's one thing that really sold me on it; it looks like it belongs in the dash once it's installed.)

I'm not so concerned about "trust" here; I'm not basing tuning decisions on the stuff the trip computer is displaying. A wideband, sure; I need an accurate sensor (Bosch or NTK) and a solid interface to it. But a trip computer? Meh. Ballpark estimates are more than good enough for me.
Yea, I am glad that we had this OEM integration with it. The fact that it looked almost like the original clock definitely sold me on this also. I like the fact of being able to track "about" how many mpg I am getting and It's kind of funny to watch them drop when you lay into boost. I'm sure someday someone will figure out a way to reprogram this into English units, I don't find it that big of a deal. The code that you were pulling reminds me almost of programming registers in class.