ECU Flash

Looking for male diag connector

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2010, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Looking for male diag connector

Hi guys,

So, I've been completely unable to locate a source for new M(6244-1121) plugs: they're the male (ie. under-dash) side of the flashing/diag connector on our cars and late 2g DSMs, or the primary diagnostic (ALDL) connection on 1g DSMs and early Evos.

Sumitomo still produces the female side, F(6244-5121), and the pins for it (F(8240-4849), F(8240-4412), F(8240-4422), or F(8240-4652)) but unless the part number has changed, I can't find the male version anywhere, or even a footprint-compatible version with more pin positions.

For the archives, they're Sumitomo "outdated" MT-series connectors. I've documented the part numbers I've been able to locate on the wiki.

Yes, I know I can get these out of junkyard 1g DSMs. I'd rather be able to find a source of new plugs though; it's really odd that they're out of production, given that Mitsubishi was using them on Evos in multiple countries all the way through at least 2006. The only reference I've found to the male part number, though, mentioned that they may have been a special run just for them (which is weird, since they make the female plug available to the general public).
Old Jan 11, 2010, 09:56 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Lattitude 48.38°, Longitude 17.58°, Altitude 146m = Slovakia, for common dude
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe you should try to locate it in Molex or AMP product line.

M(6244-1121)
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/3919240-post41.html
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...an-98-a-3.html
http://forums.openecu.org/download/f...b22da1f092b184

http://www.sumitomoconnector.com/

Last edited by acamus; Jan 11, 2010 at 10:37 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 02:53 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They have to be somewhere as they are being used to produce flash cables.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 05:38 AM
Evolved Member

0xDEAD: The female ends are used for the flash cables, and yeah, they look pretty easy to get ahold of (along with a variety of pins, depending on cable sizes, etc). The male housing, though (ie. the in-car side of the connection, rather than the flash cable), seems pretty much impossible to locate.

acamus: Yep, saw all of those links. But it never even occurred to me to check Tyco's or Molex's lineups; once I had an SWS part number, I just ran with it. I'll spend some time today or tomorrow looking through their catalogs. Again. Blargh.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 07:19 PM

I should have an answer in a couple days. I don't believe the original equipment manufacturer was Sumitomo. At least that's not who my Mitsubishi contact hooked me up with for the male ends I bought.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 10:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking for male diag connector-ecupinplug-2.jpg

I have been using an audio connector to plug directly into the OP 2.0.

I would be interested in the real flash plugs if anyone finds a place that will sell them in small quantitys.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by keydiver
I should have an answer in a couple days. I don't believe the original equipment manufacturer was Sumitomo. At least that's not who my Mitsubishi contact hooked me up with for the male ends I bought.
Jeff, you're my new hero if you can find those things. I thought Sumitomo as a manufacturer was a little weird, but I've seen other connectors from them in my service manuals, so it wasn't so weird that I didn't consider them as a source.

My eyes were bleeding after staring at product catalogs over the last couple of days; I don't think it's a current Molex offering at this point (I don't see anything with a 4mm center pitch in a 2-row 12-position configuration, and I don't recall seeing anything from Molex in any of the service manuals I have), although it could be a Tyco or JAE part; both have disgustingly extensive product lineups, and Mitsu seems to really like Tyco/AMP connectors.

CAPS/ASA was mostly unhelpful; it doesn't seem to even acknowledge the existence of that part as a separate item (both CAPS/ASA and the service manuals have a few pages worth of connectors along with their original manufacturer and part number, if you scrounge around a bit). I found something that might be it in the 1g catalog (MB529461, or "BLOCK,CHASSIS HARNESS JUNCTION", which seems to match up with the service manual description); it's a $5 from JNZ, so if you're unable to find something, I might just order that and see what it is. I found nothing at all in either the service manuals or CAPS for 2gs or Evos.

Ceddy, quick question for you: do you know if earlier 2gs (95/96) had that 12-position plug? My '99 has it (obviously ), but I don't have a '95 or '96 around that I can check. (This is mostly a point of curiosity for me, no big deal if you don't know off the top of your head.)
Old Jan 13, 2010, 03:17 PM
Evolved Member

I've used this place;
http://www.multiplex-engineering.com...20products.htm
Male OBD-II block is half way down the page and male pins are below that.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 04:19 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks, but we aren't talking about the OBD-II port (you can get those from quite a few manufacturers, including Tyco and Molex). We're talking about the male (in-car) side of the white flash connector from the OpenPort cable.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 08:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by logic
Ceddy, quick question for you: do you know if earlier 2gs (95/96) had that 12-position plug? My '99 has it (obviously ), but I don't have a '95 or '96 around that I can check. (This is mostly a point of curiosity for me, no big deal if you don't know off the top of your head.)
The 95-97 don't have Flash plug, need to add it.
The pin is missing from the ecu plug also.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

A gift to everyone, and it covers a lot more than just the 12-position connector I was looking for: http://www.mcausa.com/automotive.html

I actually have Tom Dorris to thank for that; he was asking around about (I believe) a 1g MAF connector back in 2006, and ended up coming across that.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 09:11 PM
Evolving Member

Nice find!

Looking for male diag connector-openport2_mitsu_adapter_sm.jpg
Looking for male diag connector-connect.png

C12 the flash connector?

Do you know if they will sell small quantities or have a reseller?
Old Jan 19, 2010, 09:30 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Lattitude 48.38°, Longitude 17.58°, Altitude 146m = Slovakia, for common dude
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thank you logic. Really hard to find.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 05:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ceddy
C12 the flash connector?
Actually, I think it's from the CS series; CS12F; the one you posted looks mirrored from what we want for the flash connector.

Originally Posted by Ceddy
Do you know if they will sell small quantities or have a reseller?
That, I don't know. I shot them an email asking if they could point me at a low-volume supplier.

Also, another choice: http://www.easternbeaver.com/ It's a Canadian fellow living in Japan, who apparently does quite a bit of business selling odd wiring contraptions for Japanese bikes. Specifically, he stocks Sumitomo 090 MT-series connectors, pin-compatible with the flash connector.

Last edited by logic; Jan 21, 2010 at 05:41 AM.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by logic
A gift to everyone, and it covers a lot more than just the 12-position connector I was looking for: http://www.mcausa.com/automotive.html

I actually have Tom Dorris to thank for that; he was asking around about (I believe) a 1g MAF connector back in 2006, and ended up coming across that.

NICE! GREAT find! Thanks for the link!

I've been looking for a couple connectors.

Quick Reply: Looking for male diag connector