Notices
ECU Flash

My CarPC/gauges - video

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2010, 06:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My CarPC/gauges - video

I just got my Nexus One today, so I am messing around with it and decided to take a quick video showing my CarPC, since a few people have asked me about it in the past.

The video came out pretty crappy in the low light, and this is the first time I am shooting video on the phone and uploading/editing on YouTube, so give me a break.

I'm just practicing, so maybe later I can make some videos of Evo LiveMap, etc. If anyone is interested, maybe I can make a much better video in the daytime as well to show more details and get better focus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI-94VLQCT4

Edit: Took another quick clip during day, before the gym...you can actually see now that it's during the day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xd9rohuJ9Xo

Eric

Last edited by l2r99gst; Feb 11, 2010 at 03:41 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 06:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice! I like it.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 09:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks nice. What interface and what parts did you use to build it?
Old Feb 10, 2010, 10:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
woulda been nice if u turned on your lights above to acutally see
Old Feb 11, 2010, 04:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by l2r99gst
I just got my Nexus One today
I hate you. My wife has a G1, my coworker just picked up a Droid, and I've been drooling over the specs for the Nexus One for a while now. (I currently have an iPhone 3G. AT&T and Apple can go to hell. I mean that in the nicest possible way, of course.)

Originally Posted by l2r99gst
a quick video showing my CarPC, since a few people have asked me about it in the past.
Very nice. The interface is pretty, and I really dig the touchscreen, but I'm actually a lot more interested in the hardware, OS, wiring, etc.

Specifically, how are you handling power-up/power-down; do you wait until the car has cranked, or do you boot as soon as the key turns to ACC? Do you just suspend/hibernate when you turn off the ignition, or actually do a full power-down?

Are you using flash or an SSD for internal storage, or just an OTS drive? Any vibration damping at all? That's always been my biggest concern with a setup like this: the hard drives.

OS? XP, WinMo?

Regardless of the details, that looks fantastic; very usable, it looks like you've laid everything out well, and it obviously "just works", which is huge considering what a horrible electrical environment a car is.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 05:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Clutchdc5
woulda been nice if u turned on your lights above to acutally see
Yeah, I know...I'm retarded sometimes. I can get better videos later.

Originally Posted by logic
I hate you. My wife has a G1, my coworker just picked up a Droid, and I've been drooling over the specs for the Nexus One for a while now. (I currently have an iPhone 3G. AT&T and Apple can go to hell. I mean that in the nicest possible way, of course.)
Yeah, I have had my old pos phone for years...replace the screen 3 times and the last one stopped working in like 2 days, so I said it's time for an upgrade.

I have downloaded the development tools for Android, so I guess it's time to learn Java and try to port some apps to the phone, like a logger or LiveMap...since I know nearly nothing, I'm sure that's ages away, if even possible.

Specifically, how are you handling power-up/power-down; do you wait until the car has cranked, or do you boot as soon as the key turns to ACC? Do you just suspend/hibernate when you turn off the ignition, or actually do a full power-down?
I use an M4-ATX power supply. You can find the specs online, but it's an intelligent startup-shutdown automotive PS. I have it set to boot a couple seconds after ignition and it shuts down like 15 seconds after ignition off (IIRC based on my settings) all automatically.

I do a full power-down. My selection of parts has full boot up and radio running in under 30s, so it's not an issue. It can be even faster with hibernate, but not necessary.

Are you using flash or an SSD for internal storage, or just an OTS drive? Any vibration damping at all? That's always been my biggest concern with a setup like this: the hard drives.
This is my second CarPC. This one has an SSD...my first one had a normal laptop HDD. No vibration damping (case is ziptied underneath the passenger seat). The laptop HDD worked fine for years, just slow. The SSD is night and day in bootup and app perfomance.

OS? XP, WinMo?
Just WinXP for now. Will most likely change to Win7 later, but it works fine as is, and it's a CarPC, so I don't really care too much.

The front end controls everything (RideRunner) and is configurable/skinnable (using Digital FX 4.0 skin right now), etc, so I will probably just stay with XP for now.

Regardless of the details, that looks fantastic; very usable, it looks like you've laid everything out well, and it obviously "just works", which is huge considering what a horrible electrical environment a car is.
Thanks. Yep, had some practice with my old CarPC. It's not too bad really. The biggest issues in CarPCs are ground loops with the RCA or audio cables going into the motherboard.

Other than that, just finding the right cables and adapters to wire into the stock amp, etc, and everything is up and running fine.

Although, now with the new phones like Nexus One, these CarPCs are becoming obsolete.

My biggest concern was always losing radio with a CarPC, as was the case in years past. But with the HD Radio box hooked up, that's not an issue. So, now I just like the look of it, even if it's just used for Radio...and you get HD Radio which is a plus.

Last edited by l2r99gst; Feb 11, 2010 at 05:44 AM.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 06:55 AM

Looks great !, what screen are you using ?
Old Feb 11, 2010, 07:06 AM
Evolved Member

Lilliput 889GL-80NP/C/T
Old Feb 11, 2010, 07:23 AM
Silver Sponsor

I think a full parts list is on hand! I don't need that by any means, but I really want one.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

OK, some of this is going from memory...some is looking at old invoices in my email:

Case: COMPUCASE|8K01BBA12
MB: ZOTAC GF9300-D-E 775 GF9300
CPU: Intel E7500 3.0 GHz 45n
Ram: 1Gx2|A-DATA ADQVE1A16K
PS: M4-ATX

SSD: 30G|OCZ OCZSSD2-1VTX30G

Bluetooth USB adapter: BT ADPT TRENDNET|TBW-106UB (used to connect to cell phone through car speakers and wireless PS3 keypad)

PS3 controller with wireless keypad (over bluetooth)

LCD: Lilliput 889GL-80NP/C/T (widescreen/touchscreen)
Double Din bezel from Japanparts (fits above LCD perfectly):
Part Number : 180-042-001
Part Name : 73165 PANEL, INSTRUMENT, CENTER
Misc Audio: MitsAmp (or maybe Mitah) cable (connect to factory amp)
HD Radio: Directed DMHD1000
Cable to control HD Radio: 1 x HDR-RS232 (HDR-RS232) (person from mp3car makes these)

FTDI USB to dual serial adapter (no serial on my MB, so used to connect HD radio cable and Innovate serial cable)

Software:
FrontEnd: RideRunner (very nice configurable/skinnable front end...a lot of option, eg, increasing volume with speed from GPS, etc)
Skin: Digital FX 4.0
GPS: Iguiance 4.0
EvoScan
EvoLivemap
Mobile Emulator (games)
WinAmp

Last edited by l2r99gst; Feb 11, 2010 at 08:02 AM.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 08:18 AM

Thanks for that list, I should of asked for the whole thing.

My alternative to building a new mini atx box, old laptop (broke the screen)

Asus
2.2 dual core,
4gb ram
120bg HD - 7200rpm
512k video card.

I'll be wiring an ac converter box into the center console and the laptop be set for hibernate mode upon shutoff.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
pretty fkn sweet!
Old Feb 11, 2010, 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

Assume this setup plays video well?
Old Feb 11, 2010, 03:09 PM
Evolved Member

Yep, video card is HD video capable. You can read the specs/reviews on the Zotac board.

I made a new daytime clip real quick...much better...you can actually see this time.

I'll upload it in a few and update the first post.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Good shiz Eric

Quick Reply: My CarPC/gauges - video