Notices
ECU Flash

USB to Serial Windows 7 64 bit

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2010, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
USB to Serial Windows 7 64 bit

Anyone have any luck finding a good quality USB to Serial adapter that works with Windows 7 64 bit? I tried the Parallax and Prolific Driver's with my Belkin F5U409 and have not had any luck. I will be buying a USB to Serial soon and if someone knew 100% of a brand that works, I will pick it up asap. Thanks!

Dan
Old Feb 17, 2010, 03:00 PM
Evolved Member

This is most likely solved with the help of 4WS Tuning. Dynex DX-UBDB9 from Best Buy with Prolific PL2303 drivers (Available Here) and Windows 7 64 bit has recognized it just fine. The car is not available to confirm that everything scans fine but I will update as soon as I get it back from the shop (and put the engine back in ). This is also on a MacBook with Bootcamp, so if it works on this setup, it should work everywhere!

Dan
Old May 2, 2011, 11:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any update by chance?
Old May 21, 2011, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

Update, this does work perfectly and has worked perfectly on multiple Mac's running Window's 7 both 32 and 64 bit.

Dan
Old May 25, 2011, 02:18 PM

The Keyspan USB to serial also works perfectly with Win 7 64 bit. I bought it back in my DSMlink days and it hasn't given me any issues with ECUFlash or EvoScan on Win 7.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 01:44 AM
LCS
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
No luck here. Tried on two different laptops - one with 7 64bits and other with 7 32bits - using the latest prolific driver and still Evoscan canŽt read it. A terminal app could read it tho.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 04:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had an older no-name cable lying around. I had to download a few different Prolific driver versions before one of them worked with my LM-2 and Evoscan. 64bit Windows7 here.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 10:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by LCS
No luck here. Tried on two different laptops - one with 7 64bits and other with 7 32bits - using the latest prolific driver and still Evoscan canŽt read it. A terminal app could read it tho.
Is evoscan setup correctly? If the terminal app on the same machine can read it then its not a driver issue.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 11:59 PM
Evolving Member

guys since they work on windows 7 could i assume it will work for vista 64?
Old Nov 23, 2011, 02:09 AM
LCS
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by codgi
Is evoscan setup correctly? If the terminal app on the same machine can read it then its not a driver issue.
Evoscan was setup correctly. I tried different drivers, different COM ports (1 & 2), disabling FIFO buffers, setting flow control to Xon, Hardware and off. No workie. Gave up. Ended buying a FTDI cable.

If the FTDI cable donŽt work IŽll burn the laptops, the cables and search for a mint heavytop with a serial port.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 02:29 AM
Evolving Member

yep, had vista 64 before win7 and it worked fined as well and that was with an LC-1 but with the same cable.

Originally Posted by evo_gerard
guys since they work on windows 7 could i assume it will work for vista 64?
Old Nov 23, 2011, 03:12 PM

i've run into the same problem. prolific cable i got from mellon a while back worked flawlessly on my friend's 32bit w7 netbook when i first got tuned

but now when i'm trying to log my afr, evoscan doesn't pick up the wideband. same netbook, had to reinstall everything since my friend deleted them. otherwise, everything is the same. proper drivers installed, etc.

what has me stumped is the fact that hyperterminal picks it up no problem...
and so does mitsulogger!

tried evoscan 2.7 and 2.8.
don't believe it's the laptop since, like i said this same exact laptop worked before, and i tried my mother's w7 laptop and it ran into the same problem
Old Nov 23, 2011, 04:34 PM
Evolving Member

check control panel and make sure the comm port for the cable is set to 1 or 2 then select the same port in evoscan.

one very important thing i've noticed that others may not have is that on my 2 laptops you have to have the usb side of the cable plugged into the same usb slot on the laptop as you installed the drivers when it was plugged in otherwise it wont work in evoscan strange i know but never the less something to consider.

Last edited by veszett; Nov 23, 2011 at 04:47 PM.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 09:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LCS
Evoscan was setup correctly. I tried different drivers, different COM ports (1 & 2), disabling FIFO buffers, setting flow control to Xon, Hardware and off. No workie. Gave up. Ended buying a FTDI cable.

If the FTDI cable donŽt work IŽll burn the laptops, the cables and search for a mint heavytop with a serial port.
Before you burn the laptop, try uninstalling/reinstalling EvoScan. The terminal program needs the drivers to talk as well, so its not drivers at this point. Failing that burn away
Old Nov 23, 2011, 10:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by veszett
check control panel and make sure the comm port for the cable is set to 1 or 2 then select the same port in evoscan.

one very important thing i've noticed that others may not have is that on my 2 laptops you have to have the usb side of the cable plugged into the same usb slot on the laptop as you installed the drivers when it was plugged in otherwise it wont work in evoscan strange i know but never the less something to consider.
This really shouldn't happen, when are you switching the slots? I assume before EvoScan is open? at best when you plug it into a different slot it should be detected and it may re-install drivers but it should work after that. What may happen is that when you switch the USB port it changes the COM port it shows up as. So you need to switch the com port for it to work again. Are you running as an admin when doing this or running as a regular user account?

Last edited by codgi; Nov 23, 2011 at 10:05 PM.

Quick Reply: USB to Serial Windows 7 64 bit