Notices
ECU Flash

Laptop VS. Netbook for Tuning??

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2010, 08:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by tscompusa
a netbook is a mini laptop, so with that said i would rather have the more compact one (netbook) than a bulky laptop. I use a big laptop and it gets annoying, and you can get very fast netbooks these days. You dont need no more than a dual core 1.8ghz or so with 512mb mem. Thats even excessive, but that will run all programs lag free.
Most netbooks aren't dual core...

I don't know if it's normal of netbooks or if I just need some add-in or driver, but my netbook doesn't display the graphs in ECUFlash.

Works great other wise though.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 03whitegsr
Most netbooks aren't dual core...

I don't know if it's normal of netbooks or if I just need some add-in or driver, but my netbook doesn't display the graphs in ECUFlash.

Works great other wise though.
thats a function of the hardware acceleration of your monitor, so it might be possible.
my little laptop starts to go buggy with enough acceleration to `view the charts
Old Mar 4, 2010, 03:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ItalyIX
I have the Asus EEE. Fine so far. I downloaded a program that lets you EASELY overclock the Atom CPU as well as max out the fan speed. I ususally run the cpu at 1600hz, but you go up to 2000hz. I am still on the stock 1gb RAM stick, but upgrading to 2gb is recommended.
A bit OT, but what program are you using to OC the Atom?

I have used and ACER Aspire one netbook with 10" screen with no issues for logging. Now I do edit ecuflash on a different PC, but for logging the netbook works well. I originally bought it for the car and logging due to size and battery, but seems my only issue recently is getting my wife to let me use MY laptop!!
Old Mar 4, 2010, 03:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Yah, a question I can answer. ANY PC based OS and hardware will work as long as you can install the program on it. I would use a windows mobile device if the USB would attach. This program is minimal duty to say the least. As to an APPLE/MAC solution, not sure if the ECU Flash works there or not. I just dont utilize MAC...(shrugs). Those netbooks are sweet and should be the cats meow for the OP. Should be fine.

EDIT: lol, question got answered, missed post 4 or 5...

Last edited by Raceghost; Mar 4, 2010 at 03:11 AM.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Raceghost
Yah, a question I can answer. ANY PC based OS and hardware will work as long as you can install the program on it. I would use a windows mobile device if the USB would attach. This program is minimal duty to say the least. As to an APPLE/MAC solution, not sure if the ECU Flash works there or not. I just dont utilize MAC...(shrugs). Those netbooks are sweet and should be the cats meow for the OP. Should be fine.

EDIT: lol, question got answered, missed post 4 or 5...
What he said ^. Netbooks are at home processing non-cpu-intensive programs, as such logging and other tuning tasks are exactly the kinds of things that netbooks were designed to deal with; however, don't expect to do much video editing, high def gaming, etc...

Last edited by FlintownKilla; Mar 11, 2010 at 11:30 AM.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mx4life85
Yes, and no.

I'm pretty sure that Evoscan is only out for Windows operating systems.
That's true, but a I wrote a logger for the evo and there's a version of ecuflash as well.

d