Notices
ECU Flash

Laptop VS. Netbook for Tuning??

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2010, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Laptop VS. Netbook for Tuning??

I searched but all relevant threads seem to be out dated. I am wondering if an Asus EEE will work for tuning, or if I need a full blown laptop? The only thing it will be used for is tuning and the internet, any input would be great, thanks in advance.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

i, too, have been wondering this. i have looked into processor speeds and how much memory the netbooks have. although it seems that it will work okay with windows XP loaded on most netbooks, i just feel the screens arent big enough to validate getting a netbook instead of a notebook. i like the bigger screen when i run EvoScan so that i may see what is going on without having to squint.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 10:35 AM
Evolving Member

I just recently had to decide this one myself as I was trying to stay on the lower side of price. Part of tuning is logging so your are going to want a better processor then a netbook offers and the screens are just a little to small. I ended up going with a laptop is was a little bit more but a much better computer. .02
Old Feb 20, 2010, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by johnturbotron
I just recently had to decide this one myself as I was trying to stay on the lower side of price. Part of tuning is logging so your are going to want a better processor then a netbook offers and the screens are just a little to small. I ended up going with a laptop is was a little bit more but a much better computer. .02
Thanks for the input, what laptop did you end up going with?
Old Feb 20, 2010, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have an Acer 11.2 inch screen Netbook - it rules for tuning! Have no fear. It cost $320 at Costco, I got it in the summer. The larger 11" screen netbooks are sweet and way cheaper than a 12" screen "laptop"

Old Feb 20, 2010, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by jid2
I have an Acer 11.2 inch screen Netbook - it rules for tuning! Have no fear. It cost $320 at Costco, I got it in the summer. The larger 11" screen netbooks are sweet and way cheaper than a 12" screen "laptop"

+1

I have the exact same one except white. I am using it for internet, photoshop, HDR stuff, photos...thing works great and cheap.

Main reason I bought it was for tuning my car, and how easily portable it is, super thin and really great laptop.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

Netbooks are great! I'm running an HP 1030NR with an SSD hardrive (5gb memory card on top), upgraded to 2GB ram and still ran under $300. So nice that THREE, yes THREE people bought one within a week of seeing mine. LOL.

ps. SSD is great with all the movement experienced in the car.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 242 Likes on 218 Posts
I use my laptop, but a netbook is probably better for the fact that they (most?) don't have a disc hard drive, all the bumps and stuff probably not good for laptop
Old Feb 20, 2010, 12:52 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I used to have a netbook and recently went back to a laptop.

Why? Because with Tephra's new BIGMAPS, to fit everything on the screen, you need higher resolution then most netbooks have.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jid2

How long have you had it? Any problems?
Old Feb 20, 2010, 02:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvolutinIX
I searched but all relevant threads seem to be out dated. I am wondering if an Asus EEE will work for tuning, or if I need a full blown laptop? The only thing it will be used for is tuning and the internet, any input would be great, thanks in advance.
I have the Asus EEE. Fine so far. I downloaded a program that lets you EASELY overclock the Atom CPU as well as max out the fan speed. I ususally run the cpu at 1600hz, but you go up to 2000hz. I am still on the stock 1gb RAM stick, but upgrading to 2gb is recommended.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 02:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have an Asus EEE 1005HA and I use it for logging only, as I do any editing and viewing logs on my desktop. It means I have a back up of all logs and roms etc as well. You just have to take the processor speed off auto and put up to the max speed.

I did a trip away recently and was able to set the EEE up so I could easily view the gauges etc. No way I could do that with a laptop as it wouldn't fit anywhere close to my field of vision like the EEE could.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 02:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GregM
I have an Asus EEE 1005HA and I use it for logging only, as I do any editing and viewing logs on my desktop. It means I have a back up of all logs and roms etc as well. You just have to take the processor speed off auto and put up to the max speed.

I did a trip away recently and was able to set the EEE up so I could easily view the gauges etc. No way I could do that with a laptop as it wouldn't fit anywhere close to my field of vision like the EEE could.
Can I edit on the eee? My desk top is very old and has trouble just running the internet. I need a laptop or netbook that I can log and edit on.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 04:53 PM
Evolved Member

Will Evoscan/Ecuflash work on a MAC?
Old Feb 20, 2010, 09:10 PM
Evolving Member

I'm in the process of switching from my old toshiba to a 1005he that I got from a coworker for cheap. He'd already upgraded to 2gb, everything works fine with ecuflash, but I've got some sort of windows issue preventing evoscan from connecting to the ecu :shrug:

as far as editing maps, the big maps aren't a big deal, you just have to move them around on the screen a bit. its almost perfect, an 11 inch screen would be nicer, but I couldn't turn this one down for the price :-D

Quick Reply: Laptop VS. Netbook for Tuning??