Notices
ECU Flash

Compressor surge, or BOV flutter? (my evo)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2010, 07:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
OK since you have added the 65mm throttle body and ported stuff....did the situation become worse ? ? ?
Old Mar 7, 2010, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Appauldd
OK since you have added the 65mm throttle body and ported stuff....did the situation become worse ? ? ?
I wanna say yes, slightly, but since the upgrade, I have started all pulls @ 2500, rather than 2000 (thinking that its surging, and trying to prolong the life of the turbo) so basically ya, its gotten a lil bit worse...
Old Mar 7, 2010, 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

another dumb ? most likely, but how many bolts lock in the lower heat shiled? I have the heats shield on top 1 off, and it appears that theres 3 bolts for the lower, 1 infront, (on top) 1 on the left, and 1 down towards the bottom area. And the 1 on the right, that is visible is to the actual wategate?
Old Mar 7, 2010, 08:15 PM
Evolved Member

Looking at those boost control tables....it appears that you may have too big of a jump from one RPM to another in the WGDC tables. In the WGDC High it has 100 at 2k and 75 at 2.5K....try increasing the 2500 WGDC to 100. Then taper it to control the boost as you should desire.

As for the lower heat shield....I removed mine years ago....I found it is easy to remove if you remove the O2 sensor with and o2 sensor socket. I don't remember how many bolts it has. The upper one has 4. 3 on top and one in the front.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 08:33 PM
Evolved Member

Looking at those boost control tables....it appears that you may have too big of a jump from one RPM to another in the WGDC tables. In the WGDC High it has 100 at 2k and 75 at 2.5K....try increasing the 2500 WGDC to 100. Then taper it to control the boost as you should desire.

As for the lower heat shield....I removed mine years ago....I found it is easy to remove if you remove the O2 sensor with and o2 sensor socket. I don't remember how many bolts it has. The upper one has 4. 3 on top and one in the front.
I actually was doing that, originally, but lowered my spool up, to see if it was too much duty cycle, causing "surge"...

I have a feeling that the lower heat shield is gonna be a PITA, but well see... Ive read that some where able to slide it over to get the spring in, but had to remove the entire heatshield to tighten up the arm...

I have figured out the boost guage line situation, thanks to your help. Just need to hit up autozone. Was gonna try tightening the arm first...
Old Mar 7, 2010, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

You can also get the lower shield off easier by using tin snips to cut a slot where the o2 sensor is.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

You can also get the lower shield off easier by using tin snips to cut a slot where the o2 sensor is.
good to know, thanks! Of course I only have the "basics" for tools, and tin snips are not in the box... and just barely got the tools I have.

Im trying to learn a lil "mechanics" from this forum... and no previous experience... although this site , and its members are quite helpful!!!
Old Mar 7, 2010, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

I've been turning wrenches for nearly 20 years.......You can imagine the $$$ I save working on my own stuff.

Actually....many of my friends are encouraging me to open a tuner shop in the area.

So how was your mechanic able to so easily "reset" your WG with the heat shield on??? HMMM
Old Mar 7, 2010, 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

I've been turning wrenches for nearly 20 years.......You can imagine the $$$ I save working on my own stuff.

Actually....many of my friends are encouraging me to open a tuner shop in the area.

So how was your mechanic able to so easily "reset" your WG with the heat shield on??? HMMM
If you have the capitol, you should give it a shot! You seem quite knowledgeable, and are obviously willing to help others. Why not get paid for it?

They had a ported hotside @ the shop, so just swapped it, (took off the turbo/ex. mani/wastegate assembly, and while it was off, he reset it to "0" (which is supposed to be stock) I was asked if I wanted it tightened, said, please. He said he gave it 2 more turns...
Old Mar 7, 2010, 08:56 PM
Evolved Member

if he turned it 2 more.....there is only about 1 and a half turns left in it......I wouldn't stress it all that much.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

if he turned it 2 more.....there is only about 1 and a half turns left in it......I wouldn't stress it all that much.
ya, i figured there wasnt much more I could do w/ it, (like 4 turns max) but maybe another turn, might help (which would be 3)... IDK I guess I'll start w/ the fuel/vac lines first, get that sorted out, and move on from there... I was kinda hoping, the wastegate was the cause/fix for the low rpm fluttering issue. especially since its an easy fix!
just gonna have to do 1 thing at a time, to narrow it down, I guess...

thanks for the help!

edit: decided to tighten up the throttle cable, since I was playing around... There was enough slack, for me to justify doing this, so tightened it up ever so slightly, and just from free reving in nuetral, seems to be an improvement. We'll see tomorrow...

Last edited by nonschlont; Mar 7, 2010 at 09:47 PM.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

Did you try increasing the WGDC to 100 for all values below boost comes on? This will help keep the EG shut until it is needed to be open for controlling boost......as if you didn't already know that.

It might just be time to upgrade your actuator to a stronger one since you are flowing so much more air.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by nonschlont
ya, i figured there wasnt much more I could do w/ it, (like 4 turns max) but maybe another turn, might help (which would be 3)... IDK I guess I'll start w/ the fuel/vac lines first, get that sorted out, and move on from there... I was kinda hoping, the wastegate was the cause/fix for the low rpm fluttering issue. especially since its an easy fix!
just gonna have to do 1 thing at a time, to narrow it down, I guess...

thanks for the help!

edit: decided to tighten up the throttle cable, since I was playing around... There was enough slack, for me to justify doing this, so tightened it up ever so slightly, and just from free reving in nuetral, seems to be an improvement. We'll see tomorrow...
Be careful on the cable adjustment...the engine moves on the mounts under accel and decel, you might find it causes throttle to hang up just slightly overtightening it a bit.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 07:49 PM
Evolved Member

I KILLED the flutter! !

I got a great deal on an 18PSI WG actuator. Installed it with slight tension on the WG flapper. I also adjusted my APS dual vent BOV at idle to not move at all (previously it would move about 1-2mm at idle).

The car feels amazing. I can push the gas slightly on the highway and it takes off with constant turbine spool. No more chchchchchch.

SOOO....kill the flutter with the right combination of parts.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 07:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I KILLED the flutter! !

I got a great deal on an 18PSI WG actuator. Installed it with slight tension on the WG flapper. I also adjusted my APS dual vent BOV at idle to not move at all (previously it would move about 1-2mm at idle).

The car feels amazing. I can push the gas slightly on the highway and it takes off with constant turbine spool. No more chchchchchch.

SOOO....kill the flutter with the right combination of parts.
thats great !!!

Stock adjustment is to have the pin offset by exactly 1/2 of the hole in the WG arm. the stock arm has fine threads so a few turns are necessary Most aftermarket WG have a much coarser thread that moves the arm position faster so less turns are hto set the pin position at 1/2 hole.

Quick Reply: Compressor surge, or BOV flutter? (my evo)