Notices
ECU Flash

Need help tuning FIC Bluemax 1250!!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2010, 08:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Need help tuning FIC Bluemax 1250!!

I installed a set of new FIC Bluemax 1250's today and set up latency and scaling as follows:

Scaling: 1271

Latency:

4.7 = 4.8
7.0 = 2.4
9.4 = 1.896
11.7 = 1.368
14.1 = 0.96
16.4 = 0.744
18.7 = 0.456

These settings are from another post and the only post I could find for these injectors https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...latencies.html

Unfortunately something is royally wrong because its running like crap. Idle is painful to listen to, putting my foot down causes missing or stuttering and feels like something is pulling power.

After doing a log in evoscan and AFR's not being solid like before i also noticed the Injector latency value is somewhere around 42-50. Does this sound right? It used to be around 18-19 with the Mitsu injectors.

I dont know what I've done wrong or what I have missed. Can someone please help me out with suggestions? Attached are my settings and short log.
Attached Thumbnails Need help tuning FIC Bluemax 1250!!-fic-1250.jpg  
Attached Files
Old Apr 6, 2010, 09:06 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
The log shows it very lean. Just for kicks, drop the scaling to 1050 and see what that gives you.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 09:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the same inj. scaled at 1218. you can try that, works for me!
Old Apr 6, 2010, 09:17 AM
Evolving Member

The numbers for the latencies dont look very far from mine. (FIC 1350's) And my driveability is great, idle a lil rough but it doesnt die. Definately try lowering the scaling a tad to richen it up some. after that, post your mid and low trim.

And you are reseting your battery to reset the trims right? I didnt know that on my evo8, just thought i would give you a heads up.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 09:26 AM
Evolving Member

i'll try those scalings very first tomorrow morning, its 12:30am here right now

Yes, I pulled the battery so 40mins with it off should be plenty.

I may be asking a dumb question now but besides the rubber O ring on the bottom of the injector, is there supposed to be a hard plastic cover bit like on the original injectors? was i meant to swap something over i forgot, an insulator??

I really appreciate the help, i need to get this car working at least soundly for the minute as my partner and i both use it.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 09:33 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by veszett
i'll try those scalings very first tomorrow morning, its 12:30am here right now

Yes, I pulled the battery so 40mins with it off should be plenty.

I may be asking a dumb question now but besides the rubber O ring on the bottom of the injector, is there supposed to be a hard plastic cover bit like on the original injectors? was i meant to swap something over i forgot, an insulator??

I really appreciate the help, i need to get this car working at least soundly for the minute as my partner and i both use it.
Just use the rubber one's that came with the injectors.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 09:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have these injectors...the posted scalings in the threads are off for these injectors. Here is what I used and verified via AFR before and after from stock injectors:

pump gas:

scaling:

latency:

E85 scaling:
Old Apr 6, 2010, 10:37 PM
Evolving Member

First of all thanks everyone for your input.

PROBLEM:
IDLE: The car when started seems to idle fine for 10-20sec (14-15AFR) and then dies down a little and starts shaking and idling like a truck (19-20AFR) (when i pulled each injector clip off this only just maginally got a little rougher and i thought it would have made it much worse). I let it idle for about20mins. on two occasions (in 20mins) the idle shake went and it seemed to recover for about 3sec went to around 14.7AFR but then started shaking again and went back up to 20AFR and continued behaving like a small truck.

DRIVING: When in any gear and steadily cruising it will jerk a bit and pull back then go forward, over and over. Under acceleration i experienced hesitation and then something akin to fuel cut where the car stops accelerating but not quite as violently as to put you head first through the windscreen.

TESTING:
I have tried all the scalings suggested by everyone: 1044 (1050), 1170, 1218 and 1271. and the latency settings suggested by l2r99gst.

I now can see how it effects AFR's and my fuel map, however... i believe i may experiencing another problem. Please someone set me straight if i am wrong.

I noticed from the logs with the above scalings that when cruising or under acceleration that AFR's vary (leaner/richer) according to what CC injectors you tell the ecu you have, so so far the tuning side works as its supposed to. During idle and it didn't matter which scaling i used it always leaned out to around 20 AFR. really lean. I did some testing and pulled each of the injector clips of each injector one at a time to see if one of them was faulty. The AFR's went to around 24-25 on each of the 4 injectors i pulled. this would tell me that they're all working the same..? So my new expensive injectors work, yay?! but this doesnt solve my problem...

After the injector clips, I turned the car off and went twisted the fuel cap off to see if there is any pressure in the tank...none. it normally goes psssst im sure of it but im close to losing my mind idling the car in the underground garage with all the fumes for so long i cant be sure.

QUESTION: Do these larger injectors behave differently to the stocks under the same pressure? can i be losing pressure in the fuel system somewhere and this is causing the above. or is it more plausible to suggest my almost new walbro 255 is faulty after only installing it in december?

I'm not that mechanically inclined so could some genius based on the above PLS put me on the right path? I don't want to have to breath in any more fumes!!!
Old Apr 7, 2010, 05:36 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
I suggest you reinstall the factory injectors and verify that everything is ok. If it is, disconnect the battery, and reinstall the larger injectors with the 1170 scaling and latency values l2r99gst provided.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 06:05 AM
Evolving Member

yeah, i'll put back to stock injectors tomorrow. i'll be interested to see what happens. thanks.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you want to try somethign else before swapping out injectors again, use your maf smoothing (compensation) to richen up the idle Hz a little. I'm trying to remember if I had to do this or not with these injectors. The scaling I provided should be about dead on, though.

Let me take a quick look at your logs and see what you are logging to see if I can suggest a setting for your maf smoothing.

I took a quick look at your logs, but you don't have Hz logged. So, I can't tell you what cell(s) of the maf table to use. But something else is going on that isn't making sense. Your wb AFR is very lean, as you mentioned, but your STFT isn't reflecting a big positive correction. In some places, it is actually pulling fuel. Unless it's just so lean that the fuel trims aren't registering correctly, I wouldn't know why that would be the case.

In any event, log your Hz at idle, and try upping the maf compensation at that Hz and see if you can get the AFR in the stoich range. Then, maybe get some new logs and see what the STFT and LTFT Lo look like.

Last edited by l2r99gst; Apr 7, 2010 at 07:09 AM.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 10:57 AM
Evolving Member

i'll re-set/calibrate the wb first to make sure at least thats working i've heard the innovate lc-1 needs it occasionally, log hz and adjust it at idle. is it a possibility going from the logs that the factory O2 is damaged, can that cause this type of idle/cruise problems? could fuel pressure/pump not also be the culprit?
Old Apr 7, 2010, 11:27 AM
Evolving Member

Did you lube the seals on the injectors before installing? You might have tore one giving you a huge boost leak. Do you hear a hiss in the engine bay? Have you tried a boost leak test first?

-Will
Old Apr 7, 2010, 12:06 PM
Account Disabled

if your scale ends up higher than the injector size, you've got something wrong most likely.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 06:47 PM
Evolving Member

yep, put oil on the seals and they slipped in fine, no hissing. i blew off an intercooler hose a couple of days before i put the injectors in so i checked all the piping and re-tightened some clamps.

Originally Posted by Mautofied.IS300
Did you lube the seals on the injectors before installing? You might have tore one giving you a huge boost leak. Do you hear a hiss in the engine bay? Have you tried a boost leak test first?

-Will

Quick Reply: Need help tuning FIC Bluemax 1250!!