Notices
ECU Flash

Comments on friend's big turbo ignition map please?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2010, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Comments on friend's big turbo ignition map please?

I pulled this map out of a friends car and was pretty uncomfortable with it. The car is an 03 VIII, stock bottom, HKS 272's, supertech valvesprings, ETS 58mm turbo kit, manual boost controller set to 26 PSI. it's running 93 octane

Looks a lot like what I posted up literally hours before I spun a bearing. However, where I did this to myself, He paid a local area tuner for a "custom dyno tune" though he never saw a dyno sheet. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 06:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
i think it has too much timing up top and the load has to be rescaled bigtime--maybe up to 340 or even 360. it might be ok for a higher octane than 93. what's up with that block of 6's and 8's?

i_am_no_tuner though.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 06:25 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've seen worse, way worse. Looks aggressive, quick and dirty, no TLC or time taken to do it right.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 06:29 PM
Evolving Member

He is right, it really needs to be rescaled. I'm touching upwards of 340 at 31 PSI. 260 isn't going to give him enough resolution. It looks a little like my E85 map with a really low peak # (where a stock turbo would be anyway) but high everywhere else. Maybe scale back the topend closer to the 8-9 range. The 6's and 8's was probably done as a way to identify the map.
Also make sure the knock tables weren't altered. I recently tuned a car running ridiculously high timing that was "professionally tuned" and he had 0 knock. It seemed weird that he was running #'s on 93 that I run on E85 so I checked the knock tables and they were all changed. I put them back to stock and he was seeing 20 counts of knock at WOT.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 06:33 PM
Evolving Member

it says high octaine ignition map so im assumeing this is a race gas tune.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 06:35 PM
Evolving Member

I'm not even sure how to correct that but no that is not the case. There is a high and low octane map in the ECU that it switches between and inbetween based on several variables.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The map as a whole is pretty bad, with some quick and rough transitions...but seeing the turbo and boost he is running, he is most likely just going down that last column, which isn't too bad (2-3* peak to 11-15* out top).

Of course, that's just an assumption, without a datalog of the car to see exactly where it's landing.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by evoredy
what's up with that block of 6's and 8's?

i_am_no_tuner though.
looks very sloppy ^^^the block of 6's and 8's are for his 2 step.

Last edited by 03EVOGUY; Jun 3, 2010 at 07:16 PM.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 08:48 PM
Evolved Member

The block of 6's and 8's is definitely for the 2-step. I've done the same thing for more boost at the line. Works OK. The thing that had me is that it's running 16* at redline on 93. I know a lot less about the big turbo world than I probably should, but that sounds like a crapload to me. Also, this is a strictly 93 octane, pump gas map. It also never occurred to me that he probably is running down the far right column. I guess I can see than being relatively ok. Similar peak-torque timing with a VIII turbo on E85 killed my engine, which is why I questioned it. Next time I get ahold of him I'll try and get a log of it, but he lives quite a way from me.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 08:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SwishaSweet
it says high octaine ignition map so im assumeing this is a race gas tune.
You obviously don't use ecuflash much...
Old Jun 3, 2010, 08:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just by looking at his peak torque area and following down it doesn't look too bad, although the rest of the map is higher than you usually see and desperately needs to be rescaled (better off with Big Maps anyway). I would change those 6's and 8's just in case too lol.

FWIW I'm running a stock bottom end, HKS 272 cams, and a 68lb/min turbo boosting at 28psi (obviously not putting out 68lb/min at that pressure lol) on 93 octane pump gas and I hit higher peak torque numbers (6-8*) and follow down the line with a little more timing than even that map has, and as long as there's no knock and my power is still climbing I'm ok with that. Obviously there is a point where cylinder pressure will just be way too much for my stock head bolts, or detonation will occur (which is what I'm assuming happened to your motor since you wiped a bearing) and force a decrease in the amount of timing being applied.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 09:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by THUB
The block of 6's and 8's is definitely for the 2-step. I've done the same thing for more boost at the line. Works OK. The thing that had me is that it's running 16* at redline on 93. I know a lot less about the big turbo world than I probably should, but that sounds like a crapload to me. Also, this is a strictly 93 octane, pump gas map. It also never occurred to me that he probably is running down the far right column. I guess I can see than being relatively ok. Similar peak-torque timing with a VIII turbo on E85 killed my engine, which is why I questioned it. Next time I get ahold of him I'll try and get a log of it, but he lives quite a way from me.
Wasnt the peak-torque timing on your map like 9*.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 09:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Also, not to be a dick, but this timing map is a lot better then the one you posted, So i dont understand why your trying to call out this tune.

Old Jun 3, 2010, 09:22 PM
Evolved Member

I'm pretty impressed with boosted for remembering my godawful tuning from a year ago. It's true that was worse, but was also E85. The new, shrapnel free engine has much more education behind it's tuning. Actually, I'd kick me in the sack for that now.
I just thought that bigger turbos typically ran less timing than smaller turbos. The reason I wondered about his tune at all was that I wasn't the only stock turbo car at the track embarassing him.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 09:29 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by THUB
I'm pretty impressed with boosted for remembering my godawful tuning from a year ago. It's true that was worse, but was also E85. The new, shrapnel free engine has much more education behind it's tuning. Actually, I'd kick me in the sack for that now.
I just thought that bigger turbos typically ran less timing than smaller turbos. The reason I wondered about his tune at all was that I wasn't the only stock turbo car at the track embarassing him.
Well, you referenced it in your first post, and yeah, I remembered.

Overall the map doesnt look that bad. Of course it needs to be rescaled but it doesnt look overly aggressive and since you dont have a log, we cant tell if it knocking or not.

Also, his car could have other problems, like boost leaks, old plugs, driver mod, etc that could be responsible for his going slow at the track.

Quick Reply: Comments on friend's big turbo ignition map please?