Notices
ECU Flash

Squash my knock!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2010, 03:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Squash my knock!

So here is my timing map and a nice log of 3 wot 3rd gear runs to red line or there abouts.

I have some strange issues with my knock. First I get some odd counts when I'm not even in boost (below 100 load) 2nd when I look through the log I can only see one event during a wot run where my processed knock signal exceeds my knock base amount. All the other times it appears the knock count is increasing without knock base actually being exceeded.

I'm using the timing map suggestede in the how to tune an evo thread because it was for crappy 91CA gas. It knocks less than I did with the stock map but reducing timing more does not seem to be the solution. I am running stock AFRs.

I have a 06 Evo IX MR that is stock except for a K&N Panel filter, I have to run on crappy 90 oct gas here in Alaska (shouldn't even be able to call it premium) and am trying to tune out the knock before I start modding the car.

Help is appreciated.

Full Timing Map

Log
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B9D...ut=list&num=50
Old Jul 7, 2010, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

Im getting a similar issue with my car.. Im getting knock at like 2,000~3,000rpm below 100load.

Then I randomly get knock throughout the rev range. Car has spent over 100hrs on the dyno, and dispite running almost no timing (2-3*) it still knocks.

This weekend, We are thinking to change out the knock sensors to makesure everything is okay, also going to drop in a fresh o2 sensor to see if that makes a difference.

Im interested to see what other peoples responces are..
Old Jul 7, 2010, 03:54 PM
Evolving Member

I have heard that the knock around ~80 load at 2000-3000 rpm is a phantom knock issue, but sometimes if I mash the pedal there I can get 4-7 counts and that just doesn't seem right. On a different map that I did not post I continued to pull timing from affected areas and was still knocking even after pulling say 5-6 degrees. I don't want to increase fueling to fight the problem as the stock afr map is already very rich.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
The link to the log doesn't appear to be working.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Im getting a similar issue with my car

i think is Fuel octane and maybe the turbo dry the AFR in that range. so fast.

i try with octane booster and the problem was fixed
try with diferent fuel station.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

Nope.. not fuel for me. I have used 102RON rather then my usual 98RON and no change in knock.. Something else is playing up..

I have tried different fuel stations and everything.. but no change.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 11:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Raptord
The link to the log doesn't appear to be working.
works for me, click link and then download
Old Jul 7, 2010, 11:08 PM
Evolving Member

90 is the highest octane I have available and i don't want to use an additive
Old Jul 7, 2010, 11:12 PM
Evolved Member

Log doesnt work
Old Jul 8, 2010, 03:26 AM
Evolving Member

The only thing i can suggest without seeing your logs is i was having the same issues, i have now resolved them with tuning, but in some areas of your timing map its jumping around by 10 degrees, now ive always been told to keep it as smooth as possible.

Here is my map for reference, im in Aus with some mods on an Evo 8 fuel is 98oct here which is about USA 91oct and its not finished esp up top thats why its a little choppy.

If the motor starts knocking it will generally knock the whole way through the pull so you need to try and stop it from knocking at the first point.

I still think my map is a little week and i didnt get to finish tuning as i blew a vac line so i had to go home and havent been back out since

Anyway heres my Timing Map
Attached Thumbnails Squash my knock!-timing.jpg  
Old Jul 8, 2010, 06:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by widge
the only thing i can suggest without seeing your logs is i was having the same issues, i have now resolved them with tuning, but in some areas of your timing map its jumping around by 10 degrees, now ive always been told to keep it as smooth as possible.

Here is my map for reference, im in aus with some mods on an evo 8 fuel is 98oct here which is about usa 91oct and its not finished esp up top thats why its a little choppy.

If the motor starts knocking it will generally knock the whole way through the pull so you need to try and stop it from knocking at the first point.

I still think my map is a little week and i didnt get to finish tuning as i blew a vac line so i had to go home and havent been back out since

anyway heres my timing map

+1000
Old Jul 8, 2010, 07:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by akeric
works for me, click link and then download
says "Sorry, the page (or document) you have requested is not available. Please check the address and try again."

Anyways, yes, try to get your timing map as smooth as possible, that helped with my knock at low load. Tephramod's big maps do wonders for smoothing.

Here's my map as well, for more comparison. It's nowhere near finished, It's very conservative as I was just trying to dial out the knock before seeing where I can advance timing. It is decently smooth though.

Old Jul 8, 2010, 04:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
To solve tip in knock do the following....

"Knock Load" Raise the threshold values to as follows....

500 159.4
1000 159.4
1500 159.4
2000 159.4
2500 100.0
3000 100.0
3500 95.0
4000 95.0
4500 95.0
5000 95.0

Then...

"Knock Sum Decay Timer" set to = 80

Finally...

If the knock continues raise the "Knock Multiplier" (low usually) by a point or two.

Essentially what you are doing is making the knock sensor less sensitive by doing all of this. Often stroker motors and engines with large cams create "tip in" knock most likely caused by valve train noise.

Hope this helps......oh and do at your own risk as these values are merely a suggestion and not specific for your vehicle.

Paul
Old Jul 8, 2010, 07:33 PM
Evolving Member

Well ive learnt something from this thread thanks appauldd, ive always struggle with Tip In Knock in first and second gear, 3rd and up has never been an issue, ill adjust my sensor as above and see how it goes

Edit i dont have Knock Sum Decay Timer is that an issue?

Last edited by widge; Jul 8, 2010 at 07:39 PM.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The knock sum decay timer is there as a time for the knock count to linger. We lower the value to make the knock hit fast and go away fast. Makes pinpointing the problem area much, much easier.

Post what rom you have....we can find it for you.

Even if you don't have it though, you can still adjust the other tables as I stated. You should see knock improvements. I am willing to bet that your cams, springs, and retainers are creating a little more valve train noise that is being picked up as knock.

Quick Reply: Squash my knock!