Notices
ECU Flash

Using EvoScan to log crank angle sensor output at startup?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2010, 09:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Using EvoScan to log crank angle sensor output at startup?

My car has not been starting for a while. Many have pointed to the CAS but I have not thrown any relevant codes, so rather than charging into tearing everything apart to get at the thing I want to log its output to make sure it's bad/out of range. Here is a link to the thread: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...es-inside.html

My 2 options:
- Bring a scope home from work, hook up a pigtail and watch it live
- Evoscan

I logged crank angle sensor and plotted it vs RPM at startup - I'm getting pings of 1 volt with the wave form in sync with the ~80 RPM the starter is giving me. This seems adequate.

My question:
What is the proper signal for the CAS at startup, and what provisions must I make (if any) to use EvoScan to check its functionality?
How consistent should the wave form be? Is it possible that I have a broken reluctor wheel?

Cheers,

Jack
Old Sep 14, 2010, 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Would be interested in what it should be, I think mine might be fried and want to verify before tearing into things.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 07:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
PER MANUAL:

Old Sep 14, 2010, 10:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i thought my cas went bad and i was throwing a p0335 code, but in evoscan i saw a reading from the cas. After a few headaches i decide to change the cam angle sensor to rule out both. Swapped the cam angle first and it started right up. just my .02
Old Sep 15, 2010, 01:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lp_ceo
i thought my cas went bad and i was throwing a p0335 code, but in evoscan i saw a reading from the cas. After a few headaches i decide to change the cam angle sensor to rule out both. Swapped the cam angle first and it started right up. just my .02
I tried the cam sensor swap as well and had no luck.

My issue turned out to be my immobilizer. I guess the dealership never programmed my spare key, or the transponder was damaged. It tripped my anti-theft but somehow the car started ONCE, which threw off my whole diagnostics (i thought since I started it once with that key it would not be the immobilizer)

As for the links Evoryder posted, thanks! I managed to get the car running before I got to that information. I was about to bring a scope home from work.

Only questions that remains is whether or not the immobilizer caused this phenomenon. I'll have to log my now healthy car to find out.