ECU Flash

Hot Start Issues

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2010, 07:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hot Start Issues

Hey Guys,

Ive searched and can only find people with cold start problems, mines a little different my car starts fine cold, but when warm it will barely start without accel, it goes to start idles around 400 rpm and slowly comes up to 1000rpm.

This wasnt an issue untill i adjusted my BISS screw and because for some reason my EvoScan wont engage SAS mode using the actuators i had to just adjust the BISS without it.

Im gunna try enable SAS mode using the custom command tonight or over the weekend and see if that works.

Anyway, im rambling any thoughts?
Old Jul 27, 2010, 08:52 PM
Evolving Member

I actually found a thread in regards to hot starts but was more related to E85 tuning.

None the less it seams as though i might need to increase my Initial Step Position a few points to see how that goes, i also might need to change some values in my Idle Stepper Look-Up Table. I would rather not touch that yet so ill try just increasing the Initial Step Position
Old Jul 28, 2010, 12:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I have hot start issues, but im on e85. I just hold the gas pedal in and crank it when its hot and it starts first crank. if I dont hold the gas in it will either start rough first crank or will stall, and then it takes 5-6 cranks to turn over after that.

Im not really sure how to fix it, but I have massive injectors and I think that plays a roll in my issue. I dont think the start issue has anything to do with the IAC, but it would make sense if it can grab and raise the rpm before it gets a chance to stall.. similar to pushing the gas pedal down. if you find out anything more about this let me know.

Also from my experience, I dont adjust the biss with SAS activated ,the car doesnt seem to really listen to me as much as it does with it deactivated. I only use the SAS to confirm where it ends up positioning the idle RPM.. but when adjusting I do not turn on SAS.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If the car starts fine with the gas pedal down, it means you're injector cranking values at that coolant temp are too high. Lower them down, even as far as it can go in the table (without it being 0) and see if you get better results.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 01:36 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by l2r99gst
If the car starts fine with the gas pedal down, it means you're injector cranking values at that coolant temp are too high. Lower them down, even as far as it can go in the table (without it being 0) and see if you get better results.
would this be my injector deadtime/latency? or are you referring to something else? whats it called on the rom?

Thanks,
Tom
Old Jul 28, 2010, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

No, it's not the deadtime/latency. The table in my ROM may be different than what's floating around, since I tend to have different XMLs than everyone else.

If you read mrfred advanced fuel thread, they should all be in there. Basically you want to adjust the cranking IPW tables.

And actually most of the tables that mrfred found for IPW aren't scaled for different size injectors, so you should actually adjust all of them when using bigger injectors, even when using pump gas. That's most likely why you are having hot start issues.

I'm running FIC 1250s and all of my starts are fine (cold, warm, hot). But, I have adjusted those tables way back when I installed them. E85 needed a ton of addition at cold temps.

Last edited by l2r99gst; Jul 28, 2010 at 01:50 PM.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 01:48 PM
Former Sponsor

oh ok the ipw, thanks man.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 05:23 PM
Evolving Member

Ok well im not sure if its the IPW tables and i cant see them in my Tephrav7 96530706 ROM

I only had these issues after adjusting the BISS, before i adjusted the BISS for better Idle i never had any issues Cold or Hot start, thats why i was thinking it could be the base Steps that need to be adjusted

I also dont have the injector latency cranking table in my rom either, but again i dont believe this to be the issue as its only started after adjusting the BISS for idle
Old Jul 28, 2010, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

You need the proper mixture of air and fuel. If you adjusted the BISS to get a proper idle RPM, then you adjusted the amount of air. If your hot starts started after that, then you have to match your adjustment on the fuel side now. If you adjusted your biss inward, then you need to also lower your cranking IPW. If you adjusted it outwards, then you have to increase your cranking IPW.

This is of course, assuming that your ISC values after your BISS adjustment have settled to their final values. Your ISCV will adjust itself after your adjust the BISS. The whole reason for adjusting the BISS in the first place is to place the ISCV in a better part of it's range to give it back it's 'control' of idle, being able to adjust the steps up and down as needed.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 06:48 PM
Former Sponsor

what do you log to show the ISCV ranges?
Old Jul 28, 2010, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

You log ISCsteps to see where in the range the stepper motor is at. Off the top of my head, I forgot the absolute range. I'm sure a quick search could find it, but 140 is a wild guess right now. There is a certain value that you want at idle...again, don't remember off the top of my head, but 30-40 sounds familiar.

Edit: Just checked the manual, and normal ISCsteps at idle, AC off, warmed up, etc, is 2-25 steps. AC on, and increase of 10-70 steps.

Last edited by l2r99gst; Jul 28, 2010 at 07:23 PM.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 07:53 PM
Evolving Member

Ok cool well i will adjust the IPW tables but in my ROM i dont have the XML 96530706 Tephra v7 does anyone have them?
Old Jul 28, 2010, 08:11 PM
Evolving Member

Ok i found the XML codes,

Ive now got IPW Comp Start, this would be the table your talking about for my rom correct, so i need to lower the numbers in the higher coolant temp areas and test?
Old Jul 28, 2010, 08:26 PM
Evolving Member

OK some more info with the IPW with Tephra v7 it has the alt map IPW Cranking enrichment and its values are as follows

And my IPW Crank table looks like this

So i should most likely change my tables to be the same as the one tephra provided?
Old Jul 28, 2010, 08:30 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by l2r99gst
You log ISCsteps to see where in the range the stepper motor is at. Off the top of my head, I forgot the absolute range. I'm sure a quick search could find it, but 140 is a wild guess right now. There is a certain value that you want at idle...again, don't remember off the top of my head, but 30-40 sounds familiar.
Thanks. This is something Ive never heard of before and I feel it is extremely important for the iac to maintain the idle and control of the car in general when catching itself from stalling etc.

Quick Reply: Hot Start Issues