Notices
ECU Flash

stock tune afrs okay with 3 port boost solenoid?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2010, 03:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stock tune afrs okay with 3 port boost solenoid?

I'm trying to keep my car as stock as possible and just raising the boost up to 21psi using a 3 port boost solenoid. Everything on my car is bone stock.

I was planning on hooking up a wideband to make sure my afrs were okay once I hooked up the 3 port, but come to find out I can't put an o2 bung on the stock downpipe.

So I was wondering if my afrs would be okay if I was to just hook up the 3port and up the boost to 21psi. Anyone know?
Old Aug 27, 2010, 11:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hearnoevo
I'm trying to keep my car as stock as possible and just raising the boost up to 21psi using a 3 port boost solenoid. Everything on my car is bone stock.

I was planning on hooking up a wideband to make sure my afrs were okay once I hooked up the 3 port, but come to find out I can't put an o2 bung on the stock downpipe.

So I was wondering if my afrs would be okay if I was to just hook up the 3port and up the boost to 21psi. Anyone know?
a stock evo run rich factory... turning up the boost will make it run richer. you will not necessarily feel a increase in power because your running richer and running into less timing . its best to get it tuned!
Old Aug 27, 2010, 11:34 PM
Evolved Member

adjustments to the tune are necessary, when adding a 3-port, and increasing boost!
Old Aug 28, 2010, 12:46 PM
Evolving Member

tuning

Looks like I'll have to at least upgrade the downpipe then. But then if I upgrade the downpipe, can I run it with the stock cat? Or would it be too restrictive when I turn up the boost?
Old Aug 28, 2010, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

You can probably get a testpipe or highflow cat and still be okay. Dan Bajalis trapped 11.6 or something like that with his dd 9 rs on the stock catback with a dp and tp.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

Looks like I'll have to at least upgrade the downpipe then. But then if I upgrade the downpipe, can I run it with the stock cat? Or would it be too restrictive when I turn up the boost?
yes, you'll need a DP to run a WB (4 the bung), and yes, u can run the stock cat w/ it, but its a huge restriction in airflow! If ur like me, noise is an issue! a TP will increase the decibel level substantially, and give u a bit of a fuel smell...
Im running a 100cell HFC (the best of both worlds) IMO...
BUT... if ur gonna run the stock exhaust, I would run a TP, just to free up as much airflow as posible! And it'll still be quiet.

If u need any assistance/guidance, LMK...
Old Aug 28, 2010, 09:15 PM
Evolving Member

tuning

Thanks Phil, I don't mind running a test pipe but last evo I had I was running an RRE rally cat and would get the CEL in the dash even though I had an 02 bung added to it with the 02 sensor connected. I hate seeing any CELs on at all.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 10:45 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks Phil, I don't mind running a test pipe but last evo I had I was running an RRE rally cat and would get the CEL in the dash even though I had an 02 bung added to it with the 02 sensor connected. I hate seeing any CELs on at all.
that can be taken care of 2 different ways, no prob...
A cel eliminator, or can be done thru ecu.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 11:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
why cant u run a WB in the stock DP,,,, I did with no problem,,,
Old Aug 28, 2010, 11:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ant_turbo
why cant u run a WB in the stock DP,,,, I did with no problem,,,
Thats what I was told. I never really put any thought into it, but I would think, as long as its solid steele/aluminum, it can have a bung welded to it.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 11:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
I just had the guy cut some of the heat shield on the DP,,,and weld the bung,,,
Originally Posted by nonschlont
Thats what I was told. I never really put any thought into it, but I would think, as long as its solid steele/aluminum, it can have a bung welded to it.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 11:52 PM
Evolved Member

put the wbo2 in the front o2 bung run open loop and when your done tuning re-install the front 02.. simple and temporary fix till you can get a bung and have a more permanent set up...
Old Aug 29, 2010, 07:23 AM
Evolving Member

tuning

That's good to know! Muffler guy put it up on the lift. When he saw the stock downpipe with the heat shielding on it, he said he couldn't add the bung. Guess he was just too lazy to do it, probably cuz it was lunchtime.

If I keep the stock downpipe in place do I still need to replace the cat with a high flow in order to hit 21psi with the 3 port? I don't mind a little restriction in order to keep the car completely smog legal.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 10:15 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Maybe I missed something, but the factory solenoid is easily capable of giving 21 psi. Installing a 3-port solenoid is a complete waste of time in this instance.

FYI
Old Aug 29, 2010, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ted B
Maybe I missed something, but the factory solenoid is easily capable of giving 21 psi. Installing a 3-port solenoid is a complete waste of time in this instance.

FYI
not necessarily, yes u can hit 21 @ peak w/ the stocker, but a 3-port will still hold better up top, and a is a lil more responsive. I doubt he has a pill in the line, so its really a stock BCS...

Quick Reply: stock tune afrs okay with 3 port boost solenoid?