Notices
ECU Flash

Torque seems low and late

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2010, 03:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hope so . Can it be my hallman MBC?

Last edited by EvoPower81; Sep 9, 2010 at 03:34 PM.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Doubtful but alweays a possibility. I would suspect an slice in one of the vacuum lines going to/from the MBC before I would suspect the Hallman MBC was the culprit.

So whats the PSI difference between the 2 WGA's you are swapping out? I would have just adjusted the WGA you have now or spaced it further back from the turbo with some flat washers to see if it fixed the issue.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 04:09 AM
Evolving Member

Hey guys. I switched out to a stock evo8 WGA and the torque now feels much better . My old Evo7 WGA was abput 15-16psi when I connect a vacuum source directly to it. It had a rusty liquid coming out of the hole by the shaft For some reason, as soon as I connect he hallman the boost would not go any lover than 20 psi when it fully unscrewed. Is this the lowest setting for the hallmans? I thought it woul have still been at the WGA psi. Anyways, Just by switching them out the boost went up automatically which caused me to hit the 300load boost cut. I turned it down to 25psi and below is the graph. Peek Torque still seems a little low still but has a better curve and car feels much stronger. I dont know where my missing torque is gone . Maybe i need to preload it a bit more?
Attached Thumbnails Torque seems low and late-new-wga.jpg  

Last edited by EvoPower81; Sep 11, 2010 at 04:22 AM.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 05:10 AM
Evolved Member

My friend had the same issue somewhat, but it was the opposite. His Hallman wouldn't got over 25-26psi. He bought a Forge MBC and he was able to run 28psi... But it was also his WGA, he had a stock 9 WGA and when he made the switch to a 25psi it was easily hitting desired boost levels... Hope this helps a little
Old Sep 11, 2010, 05:21 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by LGshow19
My friend had the same issue somewhat, but it was the opposite. His Hallman wouldn't got over 25-26psi. He bought a Forge MBC and he was able to run 28psi... But it was also his WGA, he had a stock 9 WGA and when he made the switch to a 25psi it was easily hitting desired boost levels... Hope this helps a little
Any help is always appreciated
Old Sep 11, 2010, 06:16 PM
Evolving Member

Comon guys, and thoughts on the change in the graph with the new wastegate. Need some feedback to see if im heading in the right direction
Old Sep 11, 2010, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

Your graph seems pretty spot on.. When do you hit full boost? 25psi is peak right?
Old Sep 11, 2010, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

Your torque curve can peak closer to 4-.5k but that could be from lack of timing in that area. To know if your boost issue is fixed we need to know what RPM you hit peak boost. I'm not familiar with the Evo 7 turbos responsiveness but I would imagine its closer enough to an evo 8's turbo. If so, you should be hitting peak boost between 3.5-4k RPM.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 05:21 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jack_of_Trades
Your torque curve can peak closer to 4-.5k but that could be from lack of timing in that area. To know if your boost issue is fixed we need to know what RPM you hit peak boost. I'm not familiar with the Evo 7 turbos responsiveness but I would imagine its closer enough to an evo 8's turbo. If so, you should be hitting peak boost between 3.5-4k RPM.

Im using the evo 7 turbo with a 10.5 hotside instead of the 9.8. Full boost is like 3500 rpm (270 load with 3degrees advance) from what I can see in the datalogs . Thanks guys. Just to crank her up some more psi as the water/ meth shows no knock. I figure my torque would have been equal or past my hp as most other persons stock turbo graphs show but i guess my air temps in the tropics my have allot to do with that.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 05:59 AM
Evolved Member

Try playing with your timing before and during peak load.. 3* is pretty low, I ran more than that on straight shell 93pump
Old Sep 12, 2010, 06:13 AM
Evolving Member

Im running a 11.9 afr with the water/meth at peek torque. Maybe ill try to make it a bit richer n see if it takes more timing. What is strange is that I had the timing at 5* i think but it showed 3 in the logs. I had no knock so I dunno why it pulled timing. Maybe I will post up my timing map. Can you tell me how to copy the image of the map and post it ? sorry for my ignorance

Try playing with your timing before and during peak load.. 3* is pretty low, I ran more than that on straight shell 93pump
Old Sep 12, 2010, 06:36 AM
Evolved Member

Also make sure your BOV isn't leaking at peak boost too. I generally stick around 11.5AFR with water/meth injection but everyone has different preferences with it. This is how you capture a snapshot of your timing chart:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wRKj...eature=related

With your air intake temps being so high there, your ECU is retarding the ignition timing which is why you see a different value than you have in the timing map.

First, log your Air Temps during a pull while doing your tuning session so we can see which section your air temps fall into on the table below.

Next, we need to edit the table to accommodate the air temp range you are currently tuning with. Lets say your air temps are 100*F on average, this would land you closest to the 93*F cell in the table which currently reads -1* of timing retard.

What we are going to do is 'SHIFT' the timing curve in this map so its still useful without having to zero all of the values out to make it useless.

Now, edit the values in the table so the cells with the zero is 93* and have it add timing slowly as the temps get cooler and lower timing as the air temps get warmer. Now this feature is still fully functional and adjusted for the Air Temp range that you are tuning with! Now, sometimes if I am tuning on a really hot day, I will actually have it ADD 1* of timing in the 68* cell since the engine is less knock prone under these conditions. The next time you run into an issue with an extreme temperature change, try adjusting these settings before retuning the entire timing map!

Attached Thumbnails Torque seems low and late-ignitiontrim-vs-air-temp3.jpg   Torque seems low and late-ignitiontrim-vs-air-temp4.jpg  

Last edited by Jack_of_Trades; Sep 12, 2010 at 07:44 AM.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 07:17 AM
Evolved Member

^This is some good stuff to know... Man that's gonna help me gain WHP!!!
Old Sep 12, 2010, 07:26 AM
Evolved Member

^This is some good stuff to know... Man that's gonna help me gain WHP!!!
That was my Evo-m contribution of the day lol. Its just smarter than zero'ing out the entire table like many others do. In New England, we can have drastic temperature swings on the same day so its a must for the timing to adjust itself for us. It has been in the low 20's at 6am and in the 80's by noon. People will mess around with their entire tune on very hot/cold days when all they need to do is edit this table a bit more to compensate.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
JOT.....That is why I get bombarded all of the time with "tunes" that have horrible drivability. These "tuners" need to understand that the car should be able to drive well in all conditions. Not everyone has a dedicated warm weather track queen.

To be able to have stock-like drivability and have over 450whp is a feat. It takes a ton of patience and a lot of work.

Quick Reply: Torque seems low and late