Notices
ECU Flash

Safer to run more boost less timing?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2010, 05:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
Timing vs boost.

Airflow (CFM) is what makes power. Application should determine boost level to an extent. I run less boost and more timing in road racing, but drag racing and street duty you can normally go the other way. Octane (lets say 92) will determine alot as do the mods that are helping or hurting VE. For instance here are 2 dyno sheets on my car on the stock 2.0L. (Its not dyno logged on the 531 run but it was also 29psi for reference-

This was on the stock intake manifold (531whp) and 10* of timing at 7750. It wouldnt take more without knocking and would misfire on the dyno at more boost. On the street it was fine and didnt have any knock or any misfires.

The next 2 power plots are after the Magnus with the inital tune. The 542 is still at low timing and 92 octane. I then was able to add 3* of timing more less globally but since the engine was stock I only added it out the top to control torque. EGTs didnt change from either one, but the pulls are only 10 seconds or so on the dyno so it didnt have too much chance to heat up radically.

On a side note though you can add more boost without knock but without more timing not necessarily be making more power-

All these pulls were at 11* of timing out the top with the exception of run 37 that tickled 12 for a second.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 04:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnBradley
Timing vs boost.
On a side note though you can add more boost without knock but without more timing not necessarily be making more power-
Good post

What turbo was that?

Looks like a 35r ish spool. What was you mivec at up top.?

I normally max out the mivec until about 6500 on ix's

Last edited by BillSpec; Nov 2, 2010 at 04:06 PM.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
On a side note though you can add more boost without knock but without more timing not necessarily be making more power.
So that being said it is not wise to run more boost if you are having to pull a lot of timing to do so?
Old Nov 2, 2010, 05:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mt057
So that being said it is not wise to run more boost if you are having to pull a lot of timing to do so?
I believe it boils down to volumetric efficency of your setup/engine.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by hediki12
depends on the turbo...
less timing= more heat
more boost = more heat
so its kind of finding what yields the best result but i too am a fan of boost over timing
can you explain that why less timing = more heat?

i can tell more boost = more compressed air so there are more heat.
but i thought more timing means more cylinder pressure for longer. You are exposing the engine to heat for a longer period. More ignition timing means higher in cylinder temps.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 08:12 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
boost > timing as long as the turbos in its efficiency range still. Only to a certain extent tho. Theres a way to determine the best combination based on how much hp you gain per degree vs psi. fuel also plays a huge roll of course.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 08:12 PM
Former Sponsor

Timing vs boost.

Airflow (CFM) is what makes power. Application should determine boost level to an extent. I run less boost and more timing in road racing, but drag racing and street duty you can normally go the other way. Octane (lets say 92) will determine alot as do the mods that are helping or hurting VE. For instance here are 2 dyno sheets on my car on the stock 2.0L. (Its not dyno logged on the 531 run but it was also 29psi for reference-

This was on the stock intake manifold (531whp) and 10* of timing at 7750. It wouldnt take more without knocking and would misfire on the dyno at more boost. On the street it was fine and didnt have any knock or any misfires.

The next 2 power plots are after the Magnus with the inital tune. The 542 is still at low timing and 92 octane. I then was able to add 3* of timing more less globally but since the engine was stock I only added it out the top to control torque. EGTs didnt change from either one, but the pulls are only 10 seconds or so on the dyno so it didnt have too much chance to heat up radically.

All these pulls were at 11* of timing out the top with the exception of run 37 that tickled 12 for a second.
Nice data Aaron!
Old Nov 2, 2010, 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
Bink, do you monitor EGT? It's tough to make big power, particularly on pump, on a Black without running hotter than 1650F. I would imagine that the guys putting down 600 whp are way past that. The key to not cooking the turbo is limiting the high EGTs to short bursts so that the components don't actually reach those temperatures.
Not sure how I missed your post! Sorry about that.

And yes, I have an EGT probe in runner #2.

When she was getting tuned on the dyno it was 94 ambient in the room, I *believe* it reached 1800. Which I wasn't all that thrilled about. However, on the street I couldn't replicate that temperature. Obviously, that was due to the increased airflow.

-Bink

Last edited by binky; Nov 2, 2010 at 08:52 PM.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 08:39 PM
Former Sponsor

EDIT: thread should be closed.. Aaron already answered it. I didnt bother to read all pages or I wouldn't have posted anything.

EDIT x2: well I just failed. I went to edit my own post and quoted it instead.