Notices
ECU Flash

Car wont start after TephraMod :( Bricked ECU?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2011, 12:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car wont start after TephraMod :( Bricked ECU?

Hi guys,

Just tried to run TephraMod v5.1 (because it seems like v7 for my rom was still under development..), copy/pasted my rom data into the tephramod rom for my ecu model, including all the maps and immobilizer code.

I uploaded the rom file to the car, it took much longer than usual, I think it is because there were many things to update.

Upload finished successfully, and EcuFlash told me to turn off my ignition and start the car again. I was too excited and I accidentally cranked the key for a very brief second, then I quickly switched off. Then I started the car again, but it would not start the engine.

I am not sure whether that is because the ROM I uploaded is wrong or because I tried to start the engine without turning it off before starting again.

I then tried to flash my old ROM which I know is fine, but it said the ECU was still in the middle of updating and still needs to resume? I cant remember the exact message but it was something similar.

I tried to start the car again, but no luck, then I noticed that check engine light was flashing quickly for around 10~20 times when the key was on.

I ran EvoScan to see if there was any DTC codes but it retruned zero.

I then tried to flash old ROM again, and this time it said the ECU was not responding.

EvoScan seems to connect ok to the ECU, but not EcuFlash.

I searched and found some thread about Aktivematrix Unlocker, I ran that before starting EcuFlash but it does not seem to make any difference.

I am using Windows 7 32bit, with Tactrix 2.0.

Can anyone help me out please, have I bricked my ECU and I need a new ECU?
Old Feb 18, 2011, 12:33 AM

been doing some more searching.. it seems like most people got it fixed by running Unlocker before running EcuFlash.

I am wondering if the Unlocker is working properly on my pc because it does not make any difference.. how do you tell if unlocker is actually doing anything? will it show anything to EcuFlash screen?
Old Feb 18, 2011, 05:37 AM
Evolving Member

What you need to do is run the ecu onlocker on the laptop leave it open then open ecuflash, switch the car to the on position but not crank/start then try reloading the old ROM back to your ecu and see if that makes a difference. Thats what i did when mine was not responding. Hope that help mate.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 07:04 AM

Thanks for the advice, I went for a quick beer to cool myself down and tried the same process again and it worked..! the only difference I made this time was that I made sure theres no other devices sucking power out of my car.. close all doors, turn off stereo, lights, etc etc..

Now I am carefully comparing my TephraMod rom vs normal rom. After enabling developer mode, I found that Init Code in Misc section in my stock rom was 0001, while the TephraMod rom showd some high number like 9682 or something. Maybe that was what caused the rom to not load? I will try again.. after comparing all of the parameters in developer mode.. at least I know I can recover the ECU if it doesnt work

Anyone had similar expereince? I am running JDM Evo9, 8857008.

Also I wonder if there is anyone who got it working with v7?

Cheers guys

Thanks again!
Old Feb 18, 2011, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what was ur valet set to... by default the valet mode is turned on and the rpm is set to 113... which is why the CEL could be flashing.

check ur rom to see if valet mode is turned on. also see if auto valet on fresh ignition is set to on. (1 is on and 0 is off). if they are on then i would check the valet time limit.

then goto car either reflash the rom with the valet mode set to off... or turn the car key to on position, then press and hold the accelerator pedal (full throttle) for 30sec or whatever value was set as valet time limit. this should turn the valet mode and u will be able to crank the car and start it.

99% sure thats ur problem.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 04:32 AM

you were exactly right..!

I got it up and running now, thank you.

My NLTS doesn't work.. Gotta test my clutch switch and see if its working properly.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 01:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Had to add a spring on the pedal to keep tension toward engage so the pedal doesnt sag on the switch