ECU Flash

Trouble setting up Tephra v7 (94170715)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2011, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Trouble setting up Tephra v7 (94170715)

Hey guys,

I tried to setup v7 tonight on my car. I made sure to transfer all relevant values to the v7 rom (timing/fuel - both stock, immobilizer, etc.) and went through as much as I could to make sure it would be fine. Then I loaded it up and started the car. The idle was really unhappy though. It kept going from 2k to 2.3k and back down, and then down to 1.4k, back up, etc. Really weird. I haven't tried the suggestions on the "poor cold idle" thread yet (main one I guess is battery disconnect) because I've been more worried about the evoscan log.

This is the v7 log. As you can see no parameter (except external wb02) appears to be correct. Even the speedo! Apparently I went 0 to 308mph in less than a second . This is the log when I reflashed right back to my stock ecu rom. What am I doing wrong?

Also where can I set baud rate in v7? I couldn't find the sub section in ecuflash (yes I'm using the right xml). Maybe its because I have the baud rate set at 62500 on evoscan?
Old Mar 2, 2011, 09:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know in 965 it under "Other ECU Options" at the bottom of the rom settings right above the MUT Tables.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 09:29 PM
Evolving Member

I just looked at a 9417 rom and Im not finding anywhere to change the baud rate....
Old Mar 3, 2011, 04:47 AM
Evolved Member

Yup. I didn't find it either. Looking through literally every section.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 06:32 AM
Evolved Member

Do you think it would be a good idea to switch to the 965 rom? I'm able to understand the things in that rom better, and more people seem to run it successfully. I just heard good things about the 941 thats why I wanted to start straight from it.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 06:52 PM
Evolving Member

I would try out 965 rom. I haven't used a 941 rom because when I moved over to v7 it was not available. It does seem like there is more support for 965 in my opinion.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 06:59 PM
Evolved Member

Just tried out the 965, all is well . Just had some trouble with warm idle being too low and sometimes dieing. But that shouldn't be too hard to fix. I have no idea why the 941 rom was so wack.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 08:04 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah I have the 941 just as a reference but Ive been using the 965 for so long it seems like to much work to move to the other rom. Also for the lean start I found that the maf comp vs coolant temp helps a bit for that. Thats what I did when i was still on maf and it worked fine for me.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by drifterific
Yeah I have the 941 just as a reference but Ive been using the 965 for so long it seems like to much work to move to the other rom. Also for the lean start I found that the maf comp vs coolant temp helps a bit for that. Thats what I did when i was still on maf and it worked fine for me.

My problem isn't on start up though. Its when the engine is warm and I push in the clutch (put the car in neutral). The revs drop way too low and almost stall. Then it idles at like 550ish rpm when its supposed to have a target idle of 852. And the idle is really fragile. Any suggestions on which table to modify?

Btw this is all on phenem's pre modded rom. Not the base v7.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 08:19 PM
Evolving Member

Ill do a search here in a bit to see if there has been any fix on this. I never really had any issues with the standard rom from the v7 thread. What are your afr's at idle?
Old Mar 4, 2011, 10:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Probably the idle stepping being quite a bit different than your stock rom was.

You could play with the ISCV tables or try readjusting your idle screw with SAS mode back to normal. That should stop the near stall thing from happening.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 06:19 AM
Evolved Member

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...3g&hl=en#gid=0

^ that shows one of my logs from the v7 965 rom. Its option 4 with the EGR, EVAP, and idle tests disabled. Not sure if thats significant. Look from row 487 down. I did a pull and then let of the gas, the car sinks as low as 500rpms and almost dies. But it stays very low in rpms even after that. Column AE is my wideband btw. And this happens not just after a full throttle pull, it happens even after cruising around.

The Idle Stepper Lookup Table is identical to my stock rom. Values start at 0 from 0 load and go to 136 on 162kpa load. Would I need to readjust the idle screw even if it was never touched and ran fine on the stock rom?
Old Mar 5, 2011, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by deeman101
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...3g&hl=en#gid=0

^ that shows one of my logs from the v7 965 rom. Its option 4 with the EGR, EVAP, and idle tests disabled. Not sure if thats significant. Look from row 487 down. I did a pull and then let of the gas, the car sinks as low as 500rpms and almost dies. But it stays very low in rpms even after that. Column AE is my wideband btw. And this happens not just after a full throttle pull, it happens even after cruising around.

The Idle Stepper Lookup Table is identical to my stock rom. Values start at 0 from 0 load and go to 136 on 162kpa load. Would I need to readjust the idle screw even if it was never touched and ran fine on the stock rom?
That table doesn't seem to be used once your go into solid idle the car seems to go into a sort of automatic mode once it comes down from running and uses the desired idle position as the guide.

It has an idle error table which defines the maximum number of iscv steps the car will add to keep it running at idle. There is also a desired iscv position which is like the base of the idle.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

I see. So do you think I should modify the desired ISCV first or the idle error table? The 965 rom doesn't really show anything strictly called "Idle error table" but I assume the ISCV demand adder #1 is the table I should be looking at. I remember reading on a search I did on the issue that referred to the demand adder table. That was for cold start idle but I assume same thing applies for the warmer temperature values in that table.

I think when it warmed up the car was pretty much staying alive using the ISCV demand idle recovery adder, which activates at 500rpm. Which is the point around which it was idling. So I'm inclined to think its an ISCV related issue.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 01:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by deeman101
I see. So do you think I should modify the desired ISCV first or the idle error table? The 965 rom doesn't really show anything strictly called "Idle error table" but I assume the ISCV demand adder #1 is the table I should be looking at. I remember reading on a search I did on the issue that referred to the demand adder table. That was for cold start idle but I assume same thing applies for the warmer temperature values in that table.

I think when it warmed up the car was pretty much staying alive using the ISCV demand idle recovery adder, which activates at 500rpm. Which is the point around which it was idling. So I'm inclined to think its an ISCV related issue.
Hmm its defined in phenem's xml which is what i'm using under the category of idle.

Maybe you should try download his xml's if the tables aren't defined for you its in post 2 of the tephra thread.

Quick Reply: Trouble setting up Tephra v7 (94170715)