Notices
ECU Flash

Dual Map Behaviors ?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2011 | 08:50 PM
Evolved Member

Dual Map Behaviors ?

Im setting up dual map switching on my car and id like to know more information regarding how it operates.

Can someone tell me if the ECU always uses the primary map when the car is shut off and on or does it stay on the current map its set to when i shut it off and on?

Next, how do i know it engages the alt map vs the primary map? If using the TPS method.. can somebody tell me what the CEL does to alert you what map you're using?

Thanks,
Old Mar 31, 2011 | 07:07 AM
Evolved Member

I believe the check eng light flashes to tell you that the alt map is active. If you had a I/c sprayer you could have that light activate also.
Old Mar 31, 2011 | 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wizzo 8
I believe the check eng light flashes to tell you that the alt map is active. If you had a I/c sprayer you could have that light activate also.
From some of the reading I think your correct regarding the CEL flashing.

How about the map? If I set the car to "map 2" and I shut off then later on I start the car again, will it remain at "map 2" ?

Thanks,
Old Mar 31, 2011 | 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

With tephra V7 there are several options.

You can have the ECU always go back to the "base" map on fresh ignition or you can have it keep what ever state it was in when you turned the car off last. This is a setting in the Tephra MOD options.

Cars equiped with an ICS switch will flash the ICS light ever couple of second i think it is. You can also use the switch to activate the "Alt" maps. If you do not have the ICS switch then you can make a harnes with a toggle switch wiried into the ECU and it will have the same action as the ICS switch. If you go this route im not sure how the ECU shows you that the ALT maps are activated. Somebody else will have to answer this. You may be able to use the TPS method but this obvioulsy means the car has to be off and the Valet mode has to be off.

One thing ive noticed with the alt maps is that they use the same Low octane maps? I only saw one map under alt maps and it was high octane fuel/ignition....Im not sure if i missed something but keep this in mind..

Check the Tephra V7 section on the Evo Wiki it has all of the information.
Old Mar 31, 2011 | 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

As long as the car doesn't lose power it should remember the last map used. So, if you flash the car it defaults to the standard map ... then you switch to the alt map and cut the car off. Start the car and it should be on the alt map still. If you reflash or pull the battery it resets.

That said though, I want to say the the VIII and IX work differently. One remembers the state after a loss of power/flash and one doesn't. The best way to know is to use the IC light as mentioned, or us the throttle switch after every flash to make sure it's on the correct map. A slow flash happens when you switch to alt maps and there is a fast flash when you go back to the standard map.
Old Mar 31, 2011 | 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the replies guys.

My car is an Evo IX. I skimmed through the Tephra 7 info, I'll read it more thuroughly now.

I'll be using the TPS method of switching for now, but I'll research for more info on the "ecu switch" method.

Thanks for your insights and clarifications.
Old Mar 31, 2011 | 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

tephra mod
restore ics state on ignition set to 1
Old Mar 31, 2011 | 03:55 PM
Evolving Member

I have an IX with Tephra V7 dual maps. I turn the key until the dash lights come on, then hold down the throttle. After about 5 seconds, the check engine light flashes. My primary 93 map flashes slowly, and my E85 map flashes quickly. Once the light stops flashing, you can start the car on that map. The map stays until you disconnect the battery. It always reverts to the primary map after the battery is disconnected. The difference between the fast and slow flash is very noticeable.