Notices
ECU Flash

tuning tips for 272s and smog

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2012, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
tuning tips for 272s and smog

I am in the midst of my build and just getting the engine back together. I received a smog requirement today for Cali, and not completely surprised. I do have a salvage title car, and expected my requirement 2 years ago. So now I have kelford 272s going in and FIC 1100s.

I have not tuned for either before, so I am wondering if there are suggestions to focus on to be able to pass smog. Are there Mivec, timing, AFR, or other maps to concentrate on to build a map specific to pass CA smog. I think the key is to clean up gasses on the overlap to make sure and pass the idle test.

I am planning on using the stock cat which only has about 10k on it.

Stock turbo and air box, and completely stock looking engine bay. I do have the MAP ver3 intake and 70mm TB, both new and never tuned with them either. (that TB doesn't have the vacuum lines that the stocker does).

And finally what about the EGR block off plate and readiness and all that. Any tips appreciated. Many how to pics coming because I have a zillion photos of everything down to the balance shaft delete and ghetto fabulous self porting the head, and valve lapping, and etc....

EGR posts from Fostytou - very nice.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-canister.html

Last edited by fireroasted; Feb 27, 2012 at 05:06 PM.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 07:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would completely zero out your mivec map in the load range where they will.be sniffing .

Adjust timing so that you aren't running choppy. 8-11* depending on lift/duration.

Get your fuel trims in check . I have mine at 1% & -3% for a slightly leaner mix. ie my afrs range from 14.5-15.2

Before you smog get that cat as hot as possible, a good freeway run would help a lot .
Old Feb 28, 2012, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanks, I have the kelford 272 just in. No tune on them at all yet, Still have my previous map, since the car hasn't fired up yet. Motor is still out.

The sniffer is under no load from what I understood. They do the idle test and the 2500 rpm test, but since its AWD and the dyno is a 2WD dyno they can't load the wheels. It just needs to hold that RPM.

Does anyone know if the EGR delete linked in the OP cause any different readings during the sniffer tests? Or is that only a system that is engaged during load?