Notices
ECU Flash

Why does my car suck so bad?!?!!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2012, 07:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Why does my car suck so bad?!?!!

OK ive been having trouble for a while trying to get the tune down on my car. i either get high knock or weird little hiccups,my AFR's seem ok,how about my timing? im pretty much stumped and im ready to just give up,but i cant afford a pro tune right this moment. ive attached my latest maps and log
Attached Thumbnails Why does my car suck so bad?!?!!-map.png  
Attached Files
Old Mar 14, 2012, 07:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
sorry im not trying to be an a$$ here but, you cant afford a 200-300 dollar tune? if you have a daily driver, leave the evo be til you can get a professional tune. IMO paying a tuner a few hundred bucks is the best money ever spent on modifications for an evo
Old Mar 14, 2012, 09:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evotuner04
sorry im not trying to be an a$$ here but, you cant afford a 200-300 dollar tune? if you have a daily driver, leave the evo be til you can get a professional tune. IMO paying a tuner a few hundred bucks is the best money ever spent on modifications for an evo
I recently lost my job,I start a new one in a week so I need to be conservative with my funds. I will eventually get tscomp to tune my car. But I'd like to know what I'm doing wrong. Doesn't hurt to learn.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 09:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by grim~
I recently lost my job,I start a new one in a week so I need to be conservative with my funds. I will eventually get tscomp to tune my car. But I'd like to know what I'm doing wrong. Doesn't hurt to learn.
I haven't looked at your logs but from just looking at your timing maps your running too much timing up top. I see your running a 6262 on pump on 27 psi? Looks like peak timing on top is about 12-13 degrees? It should be more like 8 or 9 at most on pump on that turbo. I wouldn't try to learn how to tune in a set up like your its more tricky because of the bigger turbo and things can happen really fast. If your not experienced with tuning you will pop your motor quick. Especially with that timing on pump on that turbo. As for the hiccups. You mean like a fuel cut? It could be that your hitting your load limit if you haven't removed it yet.

Last edited by 4doorbullit; Mar 14, 2012 at 09:34 PM.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 09:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
alright yeah i hear you on that, i just dont want you to f the evo up either tune at your own risk, i know its hard to resist the urge though

good luck man
Old Mar 14, 2012, 09:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 4doorbullit
I haven't looked at your logs but from just looking at your timing maps your running too much timing up top. I see your running a 6262 on pump on 27 psi? Looks like peak timing on top is about 12-13 degrees? It should be more like 8 or 9 at most on pump on that turbo. I wouldn't try to learn how to tune in a set up like your its more tricky because of the bigger turbo and things can happen really fast. If your not experienced with tuning you will pop your motor quick. Especially with that timing on pump on that turbo. As for the hiccups. You mean like a fuel cut? It could be that your hitting your load limit if you haven't removed it yet.
Thanks ill try lowering it some, and its not the fuel cut,its feels like the same feeling when its running too rich,like its a pop or something.

alright yeah i hear you on that, i just dont want you to f the evo up either tune at your own risk, i know its hard to resist the urge though

good luck man
thanks,im taking baby steps with it.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 10:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How is your spark plugs? Whats the gap? And smothing the maps would do wonders and make it drive smoother even with less timing. timing is to high and to many big jumps from cell to cell. Just a thought.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 10:23 PM
Evolving Member

i changed plugs a few months back,using bpr8es. i think they are gapped to .24
Old Mar 14, 2012, 10:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is wrong with this guy actually learning how to tune his own car? Are you one of those people that calls AAA when you get a flat because you can afford it??
Old Mar 14, 2012, 10:42 PM

i changed plugs a few months back,using bpr8es. i think they are gapped to .24
I would put fresh plugs and gap them at .022. Every car is different with gaps depending on ignition set up. If you have stock coil that gap always worked for most cars i have tuned.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 07:19 PM
Evolving Member

You log speaks for itself... Lot of knock >5750RPM.
Remember 1degree of timing less for every 3 knocks.
You should also take your AFR a bit more lineal and a bit more richer on high revs.
Hope it helps.
Cheers
Old Mar 20, 2012, 08:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
yep, try closing the plug gap a lil.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 08:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
your timing map is wacky, post a 3d pic of it
Old Mar 20, 2012, 09:12 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
grim get it to where all it needs is WOT tuning and ill make it safe for 50 bux.. thats the lowest i can do it for lol.. basically free.

doing it next to nothing for a positive word of mouth is worth it to me.. send me an email at tscompusa@gmail.com ..

to others.. no i cant keep doin it for 50 bux.. just trying to help him out since hes lost his job.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 08:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tscompusa
grim get it to where all it needs is WOT tuning and ill make it safe for 50 bux.. thats the lowest i can do it for lol.. basically free.

doing it next to nothing for a positive word of mouth is worth it to me.. send me an email at tscompusa@gmail.com ..

to others.. no i cant keep doin it for 50 bux.. just trying to help him out since hes lost his job.
you sir have a pm!

Quick Reply: Why does my car suck so bad?!?!!