Notices
ECU Flash

Severe Idle dips, HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2012, 10:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I will post up later if i can think of more things to look at. Good luck!
Old May 7, 2012, 10:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chef-j
Heard ya, its pain in butt. I had similar idle issue with my previous car (350z SC). I tried everything i can do and end up took it to shop...they found i had clogged hfc, replaced with tp & removed utec and retuned with stock ecu and problem gone.
I can definately rule out that since I have straight 3" TBE no cats .
Old May 9, 2012, 03:37 PM
Evolved Member

Ok wasn't able to check yesterday, had a guy come over for some work on his durango after I got out of class. Anyhow so I checked today and confirmed crank sensor is not the issue . Which I guess can be good and bad. Spark checker confirmed that spark is not cut when these dips occur.
Old May 20, 2012, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

Well swapped out the idle stepper motor and still dips so thats not it . I am using Tephra's V7 94170715, starting to wonder if its the rom, anyone else experience idle issues using this rom?
Old May 20, 2012, 12:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not running your rom but ran into a posible issue for you to check out. I had a failing coolant temp sensor. Sometimes it would read properly sometimes not. Verfied this through logging of course. It would go from 189* to 100 irradicly and this would affect the idle. Replaced sensor all was good. Just an idea.
Old May 21, 2012, 06:19 AM
LCS
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Disconnecting both coolant temp sensors is a good test? How the ECU behaves without the sensor signal?
Old May 21, 2012, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

I dont recall any irradic coolant temp sensor readings when I was logging idle the other day but I am definitaly willing to give it a shot I'll post up and let you guys know what happens. Changed one of my couplers Saturday so I did another boost leak test but that came out fine.
Old May 21, 2012, 10:06 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Do you have another rom you can try? Is this the same rom you've been running all along or did this issue start when switching to this rom?
Old May 21, 2012, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wazzelby
Do you have another rom you can try? Is this the same rom you've been running all along or did this issue start when switching to this rom?
For the sake of idle alone I put all my idle type settings and maf settings into my stock base lancer rom awhile back and the idle seemed rough but stable I didn't notice any dips, issue there is my stock rom is beyond limited for me to properly tune my car with the setup I am running now. I have tried 96530706 before and I honestly cant remember if the dips were there or not but I do remember throttle hang was horrible and I was not able to correct it so I promptly switched back. Any suggestions on roms to try? Mainly just need to have big maps and cel flash in them. Dont care about any of the other tephra options.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 05:03 PM
Evolved Member

So I figured to bump this thread rather than start another. Any more ideas for me?. I have since been able to do a prolonged boost leak test and liberally sprayed soapy water while holding 15+ psi (since I run 15 currently), any small leaks I fixed so absolutely sure there are no boost leaks anywhere from the turbo to the combustion chambers. Can someone tell me if the egr disable works in tephra's V7 94170715? I read that the FAA periphery bit that was supposed to disable it actually does not, and there is another table labelled in this rom to disable it.

Still have the dips :-(. I have installed a new maf, swapped map, swapped IAC, swapped EGR, Swapped the solenoids connected to the vacuum lines bolted to the IM, swapped and completely cleaned the IM itself, cleaned everything that I have swapped, cleaned throttle body, new plugs gapped correctly. Not sure if I mentioned that if I let it sit idling like this for awhile I will eventually get a random multiple cylinder misfire code, I have gotten it 3x and only after prolonged (like 30 mins or so) of idling. I have not swapped coil packs but I do not believe it is them, one reason is because the spark plugs are firing when dips occur and two the idle never dips when cold and I get no misfires while driving.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 06:11 PM

I'm having a very similar issue with my rebuilt 4g69 eclipse. first start up was great even warmed up, second start up it started to stumble a bit. by time the first test drive was done, warmed up it wanted to stall (and sometimes did) at every stop sign. It has progressively gotten worse over the past couple days. Now occasionally stalls when cold, and almost always when hot.

throwing p0300. Hadn't had a chance to check anything, car is parked until saturday. any more updates on this?

here are my two vids

I believe list of new and old mods are in that first vid.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 06:16 PM
Evolving Member

Have you checked o2 sensors? Might want to swap them out, if your richer then lean irradically causing your idle to be eradic. This happened to me.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

i too have this same problem. basically exact same setup you have. dips or dies after reving or pulliing it out of gear and goes super rich. i have done nearly everything you have done. but mine has been like this since i went turbo and it is so frustrating.

i know this thread is old but it has yet to be solved
Old Mar 3, 2013, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

do you think it could be an ignition coil? or maybe we should try different roms since we are using the same. i can rev my engine at all without having it dip or die completely
Old Mar 3, 2013, 03:53 PM
Evolved Member

My car has no other symptoms except the dips. I have however managed to greatly decrease the dipping. I noticed my timing at idle was way higher than I thought it would be. I adjusted the timing down a few degrees and that made a dramatic improvement. I havent messed with it since my initial timing change so I still have them a little. I fully expect when I get some time I will be able to adjust the timing more and get rid of my dips completely

Quick Reply: Severe Idle dips, HELP!!!