Notices

In-dash nav with evo-scan

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2012, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In-dash nav with evo-scan

So I've been researching my options for in-dash navigation systems and part of my criteria was the ability to install evoscan. I looked at some in car pc options, but really just want something small and clean since my main motivation is for digital gauges, anything else and I'll bring my laptop to connect to the car.

I know there are windows ce navigation units and I'm guessing they are hackable so new software can be installed. Rather than try and find every available option, I thought I would see if anyone has a similar setup. Not really looking for the evoscan product as I want a clean, in dash solution.

FWIW, technical steps are not an issue and I don't mind modifying the software if necessary as that's my career field. Just would like a good place to start since there are so many options out there.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:57 PM
Evolving Member

G'day,

Windows CE is way oldschool.

I think you would be better off getting a tablet pc such as a dell slate and installing win7 with a Bluetooth GPS (pretty sure gps isn't a option natively).

The major problem I would believe is having multiple Bluetooth connections (if you wanted to avoid running a obd2 extender cable) as I'm not sure it's possible/I've never ever tried it as it's painfully slow .

If you could manage to get a good fit for it and a more solid battery then I think you'd have a awesome setup and I'm sure you can get a serial to usb adapter for wideband logging as well.

Hopefully this helps, if you do it be sure to have a big instructional thread on it as I'm sure their are other users out their that would love to upgrade their system and not be restricted to the crappy units or aftermarket units that don't do everything the tablet could do.

Food for thought.

Cheers
Old Aug 20, 2012, 05:52 AM
Evolved Member

I've been going back and fourth about which tablet to get for Evoscan...
Old Aug 20, 2012, 06:05 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PatricksEvilEvo
I've been going back and fourth about which tablet to get for Evoscan...
Viliv S5
Old Aug 20, 2012, 06:15 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Farga
So I've been researching my options for in-dash navigation systems and part of my criteria was the ability to install evoscan. I looked at some in car pc options, but really just want something small and clean since my main motivation is for digital gauges, anything else and I'll bring my laptop to connect to the car.
It can (and has) been done with the Pioneer F-Series AVIC. There is a mod on AVIC411, which allows the use of HobD (as an OBDII reader with an ELM cable). However, just download the hack/mod and play around with Hobd. I adjusted the PIDs on mine to read a ZT-2 (wideband, AFR, EGT) plugged into the USB port on my navigation unit. You can basically make the display screen look like whatever you want. You need a driver for the RS232 to USB adapter written for CE ARM, but that can be found. If you read over AVIC411, you will figure out how to install it. This varies based on your firmware series. However, the lag on it is unreal. It was in the car for a grand total of 4 hours. The software slowed the entire unit to a crawl. Even when I booted the program from an SD card, the startup time was greater than 5 minutes. Imagine sitting in your car for 5 minutes waiting for the radio (let alone navigation) to start up. No bueno. I am guessing that this is why the Magden computer was so popular. It included independent computing power to process the incoming signals. Either way, you could try to make your own "Magden" or just use the Viliv. I would not recommend trying to integrate gauges into your navigation unit. To be frank, programming it is the easy part. Living with the lag is not possible.