Notices

Maf Compensation and Fuel Trims

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2012 | 06:20 AM
Evolving Member

Maf Compensation and Fuel Trims

Ok trying to get this right and I am getting frustrated and I shouldn't be.

Installed a 3" intake, did some reading and calculation and multiplied all of my MAF tables by 1.3. This worked GREAT for mid fuel trims (+-.5) but my low fuel trims are always -9-8. I tried reducing idle voltage, raising, etc. nothing seams to change it.

Just so I know which way is the right way, I'm assuming if the fuel trims are negative you need to reduce MAF voltage to get the trims to come up.
Old Jul 17, 2012 | 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

It's basically thinking your idle MAF voltages are a bit on the rich side and values too high relative to cruise. If adjusting the injectors doesn't help as expected, you can use the multiply function and interpolation features to smooth out the MAF tables in the idle region as it transitions to the cruise regions. Usually idle is around 1.50v where as cruise is closer to 1.90v - 2.20v but that varies per car. Maybe lower the values in the idle region 6-8% and them lower them less and less as you transition to cruise voltages. Worst case you will need to play around more with the latencies on the injectors.
Old Jul 17, 2012 | 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

Adding to Hiboosts (valid) comments, basically the 1.3 multiplier does not work in the (very) non-linear section of the MAF calibration.

So, as mentioned, you need to reduce the multiplier at the low end of the table and progressively increment to the cruise area.
Old Jul 17, 2012 | 08:22 PM
Evolving Member

I did just that ^, and it seams to be working. Goin to cruise around for a few days and let the trims settle before I adjust again.

Also the car is stock besides intake and charge pipe so I shouldn't have to mess with injector latencies.
Old Jan 23, 2013 | 12:56 AM
Evolving Member

what did u end up using? im so confused on modding the MAF Compensation table..
Old Jan 28, 2013 | 12:02 AM

I'm interested as well
Old Jan 28, 2013 | 05:41 AM
Evolving Member

Started with 1.3 and modified accordingly. I really never could get the idle/cruise trims to close to 0. If I was just idling they'd level out to +/- 2 but would be off at low cruising speeds (35mph). Same thing with my cruise.

I got them within +/- 5 and gave up after that. Once you get them that close they don't seam to make a difference what so ever getting any closer. My start-up, idle, cruise is identical to stock and I never have any issues so I just left them.

I could literally play with them EVERY single day and still not achieve perfect. It's a daunting task to **** with ECUflash and EvoScan because I'm so use to AEM or DsmLink. I truly wish AEM had a plug&play version for EvoX that can control everything. It would make tuning soooo much easier. I hate messing with EcuFlash, it's annoying and too many hoops to jump through to do simple ****.
Old Jan 28, 2013 | 09:31 AM

Did you have any problems with your injector duty cycle being higher than what it should?
Old Jan 28, 2013 | 01:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Tbtalon94
I truly wish AEM had a plug&play version for EvoX that can control everything. It would make tuning soooo much easier.
For real, I've had the AEM EMS on my last couple of cars. So powerful and so easy. Just live changes alone make it worth the money, especially for part throttle stuff. I would just have my friend drive the car and tweak as we drove.

Oh well, I'm gonna be trying the whole ECUflash thing. Ideally I'll convert the system to MAP and tune it that way. Always had better results on my MAP based cars than MAF. Just more straightforward to me that way.

Does anyone make a plug and play ECU for the EVO X?
Old Jan 30, 2013 | 05:36 AM
Evolving Member

My car is fairly stock so my injectors don't get worked too hard, but no I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary. The upper scale of the MAF compensation tables really isn't changed by much.

The Evo X's are technically MAP based, they just ALSO use a MAF. It really isn't necessary to dump the MAF completely untill you are just flowing too much air for the MAF...which isn't untill you're up around 550hp+. Tuning ECUflash for Fuel/Timing is pretty simple....but having to shut the car off to flash the map is just annoying and tedious. The ONLY positive side to using the stock ECU is you keep all the cold start/idle/driveability maps so it drives like stock.'

That being said I would rather spend some time on getting those tables good enough on AEM/Haltech/ProEfi that they still function like stock but have the ability to tune on the fly and not have to deal with stupid hex coding and 17 different files to adjust. The only set back is the EvoX has electronic throttle control and most aftermarket ECUs don't support that. ProEFI maybe being an exception but i'm not sure.

If anyone knows if PROefi or Haltech or the like work...please let me know because I would gladly ditch the stock ecu!
Old Jan 30, 2013 | 06:53 AM
Evolving Member

I would gladly ditch the stock ECU as well. No custom coding of playing with hex stuff. Built in logging of everything. Live changes! Surprised that hasn't come up too often on here in the threads I've been reading. Live tuning in a real standalone just saves so much time and leads to a better tune. More time tuning, less time looking through logs and reflashing.

I ran the AEM EMS on my last two boosted Hondas. I've also tuned my buddy's boosted S2000 with it. The EMS is great in my opinion. Startup, part throttle, full throttle, everywhere in the map the cars ran perfect once I was done. Built in wideband with all kinds of closed loop options. Nitrous fuel and timing maps or use that as a race gas / E85 map. Tons of options.

Not that you couldn't do that with the stock ECU with all the resources available, it's just no where near as easy.

The Series 2 EMS is plug and play and supports the 06-08 S2000's which are DBW. The have plug and play Series 2 EMS's for the EVO 8 and 9, just not the X :/
Old Jan 30, 2013 | 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Tbtalon94
My car is fairly stock so my injectors don't get worked too hard, but no I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary. The upper scale of the MAF compensation tables really isn't changed by much.

The Evo X's are technically MAP based, they just ALSO use a MAF. It really isn't necessary to dump the MAF completely untill you are just flowing too much air for the MAF...which isn't untill you're up around 550hp+. Tuning ECUflash for Fuel/Timing is pretty simple....but having to shut the car off to flash the map is just annoying and tedious. The ONLY positive side to using the stock ECU is you keep all the cold start/idle/driveability maps so it drives like stock.'

That being said I would rather spend some time on getting those tables good enough on AEM/Haltech/ProEfi that they still function like stock but have the ability to tune on the fly and not have to deal with stupid hex coding and 17 different files to adjust. The only set back is the EvoX has electronic throttle control and most aftermarket ECUs don't support that. ProEFI maybe being an exception but i'm not sure.

If anyone knows if PROefi or Haltech or the like work...please let me know because I would gladly ditch the stock ecu!
What we need is a unified interface with a focus on removing some of the tedious bits for users that don't care.

I highly doubt that will happen. And if someone does try to build a nice new tuning interface, they will be ran off the forums and not allowed into the closed circle. It's happened a few times around here. I spent a year working a nice OpenGL Maptracer that went nowhere thanks to the pay or go home attitude around here.

This forum views efforts to build nice interfaces as stealing someone's work. And the software they write is not designed to be used by 3rd party tools so there lies the rub. No one *can* create a better interface from them.

Last I heard Motec had something pretty close to a plug and play system. But I may be confusing their plug and play ACD controller.
Old Jan 30, 2013 | 11:00 AM
Evolving Member

Motec would be awesome, price is a little up there though. AEM EMS was great for me. Reasonably priced, good software, good hardware. I would assume Motec is better but at 2-3 times the cost I'd hope so
Old Jan 30, 2013 | 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by candymanjl
Motec would be awesome, price is a little up there though. AEM EMS was great for me. Reasonably priced, good software, good hardware. I would assume Motec is better but at 2-3 times the cost I'd hope so
At 2-3 times the cost you can almost use the cheap solution with enough money saved to buy a new motor when it fails .

Or just buy the Motec once....
Old Jan 30, 2013 | 01:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by acidtonic
At 2-3 times the cost you can almost use the cheap solution with enough money saved to buy a new motor when it fails .

Or just buy the Motec once....
Ha ha, or the AEM once

Quick Reply: Maf Compensation and Fuel Trims