Notices
ECU Flash

closed loop target afr

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2012, 08:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
closed loop target afr

Hello everyone, I'm new to evos but not to tuning, is there a table to change target afr in closed loop fueling? does closed loop fueling run off of the high and low octane fuel maps? I'm used to tuning wrxs and the leanest you can go in the open loop map is 14.7:1 and cl fueling has its own table.

Last edited by SnailSpeed; Oct 19, 2012 at 08:26 PM.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Not easily, no.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 09:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Raptord
Not easily, no.
not easily as in cl afr isn't adjustable?
Old Oct 20, 2012, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SnailSpeed
not easily as in cl afr isn't adjustable?
Basically, no, it isn't adjustable. With my zeitronix WDB I can use it as an o2 sensor simulator, so I can then change the closed loop target AFR with that, but I rarely use it (I've installed a switch so I can quickly change between stock o2 sensor signal and simulated signal from the zeitronix).

There might be an ECU patch somewhere in this section for doing this; I haven't really looked into it since I have the zeitronix.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:12 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
You have to lower the "Open loop load" and the "Open loop throttle" tables, then you can use the fuel map to control CL areas.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 12:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Boosted Tuning
You have to lower the "Open loop load" and the "Open loop throttle" tables, then you can use the fuel map to control CL areas.
Are these the actual names of the tables in ecuflash? i'm looking at an evo8 map. The reason I asked this is because on my wrx i changed the cl target afr to 15:1 and along with running more advance timing at low load/rpm it improves gas mileage by a decent amount without sacrificing driveability. I'm thinking of selling my wrx and getting an evo and just wanna know what can be done tuning wise. These cars aren't made to get good gas mileage but if you can improve it why not?
Old Oct 20, 2012, 01:02 PM
Former Sponsor

Are these the actual names of the tables in ecuflash? i'm looking at an evo8 map. The reason I asked this is because on my wrx i changed the cl target afr to 15:1 and along with running more advance timing at low load/rpm it improves gas mileage by a decent amount without sacrificing driveability. I'm thinking of selling my wrx and getting an evo and just wanna know what can be done tuning wise. These cars aren't made to get good gas mileage but if you can improve it why not?
Yes, those are exact map names.

Yes, on a WRX it is a lot easier. You just change the "closed loop base fueling target" and the ECU takes care of the rest (fuel wise).

On the EVO, you have to force it to go open loop at low loads/throttle, then you tune your fuel map to get the desired AFR during idle and cruise.

The timing is the same as on the WRX. Just add timing in the low load/rpm areas to the normal timing map.

BTW, I also tune Subarus.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 01:08 PM
Evolving Member

Yes, those are exact map names.

Yes, on a WRX it is a lot easier. You just change the "closed loop base fueling target" and the ECU takes care of the rest (fuel wise).

On the EVO, you have to force it to go open loop at low loads/throttle, then you tune your fuel map to get the desired AFR during idle and cruise.

The timing is the same as on the WRX. Just add timing in the low load/rpm areas to the normal timing map.

BTW, I also tune Subarus.

Nice! so it is possible then? What would you change the % on those tables to force it into open loop? What do you like tuning better or seems easier to you Subarus or EVO?
Old Oct 20, 2012, 01:21 PM
Former Sponsor

Nice! so it is possible then? What would you change the % on those tables to force it into open loop? What do you like tuning better or seems easier to you Subarus or EVO?
Yes its possible.

Well for the throttle, idle is at like 10-13% and and cruise is usually below 30% or so, so if you wanted it in both case, you'd lower that table to say 10% in the RPM areas you wanted to force open loop. For load, idle is usually about 25-50 load (depending on car) and cruise in usually in the 50-80 area. So for load, setting it to about 20 in the RPM areas where you wanted to force OL would work.

I like tuning both. They both have their pros and cons. Subaru already comes psi based boost control (and a real MAP sensor) from the factory and seems to control boost a little better then the EVO system (which is still great).

Timing is better on the EVO since theres just a base timing map and no advance maps. We have more idle maps on the EVO. On the Subaru's, EVERY DTC is easy to enable or disable, on the EVO some DTC are grouped together and some are not available (for disabling).

The EVO has had modded ROMs (Tephra V7) and SD for longer then Subys. But the Carberry ROM looks very promising (Should be testing it next week).

Oh yeah, if you couldn't see those open loop maps in the ROM you were looking at, its because they are missing from the ROMs definition (aka .xml file).

Last edited by Boosted Tuning; Oct 20, 2012 at 02:04 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 01:41 PM
Evolving Member

Yes it possible.

Well for the throttle, idle is at like 10-13% and and cruise is usually below 30% or so, so if you wanted it in both case, you'd lower that table to say 10% in the RPM areas you wanted to force open loop. For load, idle is usually about 25-50 load (depending on car) and cruise in usually in the 50-80 area. So for load, setting it to about 20 in the RPM areas where you wanted to force OL would work.

I like tuning both. They both have their pros and cons. Subaru already comes psi based boost control (and a real MAP sensor) from the factory and seems to control boost a little better then the EVO system (which is still great).

Timing is better on the EVO since theres just a base timing map and no advance maps. We have more idle maps on the EVO. On the Subaru's, EVERY DTC is easy to enable or disable, on the EVO some DTC are grouped together and some are not available (for disabling).

The EVO has had modded ROMs (Tephra V7) and SD for longer then Subys. But the Carberry ROM looks very promising (Should be testing it next week).

Oh yeah, if you couldn't see those open loop maps in the ROM you were looking at, its because they are missing from the ROMs definition (aka .xml file).
Ok well this is all good to know, and I did find those tables I think i'm up to date with my defs. As for boost control I do like the wgdc tables in subarus but the way i have mine setup is a hybrid boost control system(using a grimmspeed 3 port ebcs and a hallman pro mbc in parallel, it works great!), i'm kinda confused about the "max wastegate duty" tables on the evo, in the rom i'm looking at which seems to be a stock rom the wgd is set to 100%. Btw if you need help with setting up your sd rom I know someone who could help, he is running a 20g on an ej205 with carberry i think. I myself have never even looked into sd and have never tuned an sd setup.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 01:54 PM
Former Sponsor

Ok well this is all good to know, and I did find those tables I think i'm up to date with my defs. As for boost control I do like the wgdc tables in subarus but the way i have mine setup is a hybrid boost control system(using a grimmspeed 3 port ebcs and a hallman pro mbc in parallel, it works great!), i'm kinda confused about the "max wastegate duty" tables on the evo, in the rom i'm looking at which seems to be a stock rom the wgd is set to 100%. Btw if you need help with setting up your sd rom I know someone who could help, he is running a 20g on an ej205 with carberry i think. I myself have never even looked into sd and have never tuned an sd setup.
Cool.

In the EVO world, there is hybrid boost, but its in series.

Max WGDC is your actual WGDC your requesting. Its not like Subaru, where you put a initial and a max. There just max on the EVO. Yes the stock setting are all at 100% because the system is basically maxed out from the factory. Also, they use two boost pills to control boost. You can use a modified boost pill and then you can add more boost. More info here https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...-solenoid.html (but we dont really do this anymore. Everyone now use a MBC or a 3port EBCS or Hybrid). Here about installing a 3port in an EVO. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...-solenoid.html

Thanks for the offer, but I have checked out the Carberry ROM and it should be easy. It actually looks better the EVO SD (has 3d VE map from the start, uses absolute pressure, no messing with KPA or KPA vs LOAD).

Last edited by Boosted Tuning; Oct 20, 2012 at 01:57 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 01:59 PM
Evolving Member

Cool.

In the EVO world, there is hybrid boost, but its in series.

Max WGDC is your actual WGDC your requesting. Its not like Subaru, where you put a initial and a max. There just max on the EVO. Yes the stock setting are all at 100% because the system is basically maxed out from the factory. Also, they use two boost pills to control boost. You can use a modified boost pill and then you can add more boost. More info here https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...-solenoid.html (but we dont really do this anymore. Everyone now use a MBC or a 3port EBCS or Hybrid). Here about installing a 3port in an EVO. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...-solenoid.html

Thanks for the offer, but I have checked out the Carberry ROM and it should be easy. It actually looks better the EVO SD (has 3d VE map from the start, use absolute pressure, no messing with KPA or KPA vs LOAD).
Ok thanks for your help man, I hope you don't mind if I bug you later when/if I get an evo and need some help with tuning. Have you ever tuned an evo for gas mileage? if so what were the results?
Old Oct 20, 2012, 02:09 PM
Former Sponsor

Ok thanks for your help man, I hope you don't mind if I bug you later when/if I get an evo and need some help with tuning. Have you ever tuned an evo for gas mileage? if so what were the results?
No problem.

Yes. +10-15% MPG.

I used to offer a MPG tuning add-on to custom tunes and also offered it as a standalone option, but not that many people seemed to care.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 02:34 PM
Evolving Member

No problem.

Yes. +10-15% MPG.

I used to offer a MPG tuning add-on to custom tunes and also offered it as a standalone option, but not that many people seemed to care.
what kinda gas mileage can one expect to get from a stock evo?
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

what kinda gas mileage can one expect to get from a stock evo?
DD'ing around town, with not much highway, expect 17's or so unless you get into boost often. Highway, should be around 24-25.

I usually average 19 or so in the city and 26-27 highway.

Quick Reply: closed loop target afr