Notices

Tactrix Won't Install on Windows 8

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tactrix Won't Install on Windows 8

Got a New Dell XPS12 w/ Windows 8 and it won't install the drivers for the Openport 2.0 anyone have any ideas.

Thought it would be easy to have a tablet like computer for logging and it won't evey work.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:52 PM
Evolved Member

I thought drivers were supposed to be the same between Windows 7 and 8.

That's all I got. The drivers install fine on my Windows 7 64 bit OS.

You probably need to email Tactrix and ask them about it.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by Golden

That's all I got. The drivers install fine on my Windows 7 64 bit OS.

You probably need to email Tactrix and ask them about it.
do you think it could be that the USB on my computer are 3.0 and the Openport is 2.0 that there conflecting

your right I got it installed on my Windows 7 64 Bit too and it works fine

Thanks Golden if you run across any info please let me know i even went to the compatibility mode and told it to install like every option it had (XP, Vista, Windows 7 ect.) and and nothing worked.

Last edited by topEND; Nov 16, 2012 at 09:03 AM.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 06:56 AM

go to the charms bar and click search. start typing "turn windows.." into the search bar. click Setting (under the search bar), then click "turn windows features on or off"(attached pic below). once that screen loads, click the drop down (little plus sign) for .NET framework 4.5 Advanced series and also the drop down for .NET Framework 3.5. THEN make the selections to match the ones in the attached image. once you do that, uninstall your current version of ecuflash, go into program files and delete the whole OpenECU folder. then go and download the EcuFlash BETA and install that and give it a go. let me know how it goes.
Attached Thumbnails Tactrix Won't Install on Windows 8-netframework-guide2.png   Tactrix Won't Install on Windows 8-netframework-guide.png  
Old Dec 7, 2012, 10:59 AM

did the above post help out anyone at all?
Old Dec 7, 2012, 11:02 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Windows 8 is still kind of ****. Install a WMWARE and than install windows 7. Than connect your Tactrix to the virtual machine and you'll be golden
Old Dec 8, 2012, 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by SAMIRMOMIN1990
did the above post help out anyone at all?
Sorry for not posting sooner, i tried what you posted and the computer has a window pop up saying searching for files and this window stayed up for like 2 hrs so i just forced it down tried it again and same thing.

So it did not work for me not yet. Thinking aboult VMWare but really don't want to do that.

Thanks for the Help Though!
Old Dec 8, 2012, 05:33 AM

Try going into Program Files > OpenEcu > EcuFlash > Drivers and try double clicking the driver files that say "Application" in the "type" column.

Last edited by SAMIRMOMIN1990; Dec 9, 2012 at 08:28 AM.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 02:16 PM
Evolving Member

go to the charms bar and click search. start typing "turn windows.." into the search bar. click Setting (under the search bar), then click "turn windows features on or off"(attached pic below). once that screen loads, click the drop down (little plus sign) for .NET framework 4.5 Advanced series and also the drop down for .NET Framework 3.5. THEN make the selections to match the ones in the attached image. once you do that, uninstall your current version of ecuflash, go into program files and delete the whole OpenECU folder. then go and download the EcuFlash BETA and install that and give it a go. let me know how it goes.
This makes the drivers work on Win8 on my computer.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:41 PM

^^sweet.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Golden
Windows 8 removed many APIs that have been marked as deprecated for a while. If the driver owner did not update their drivers to not use those deprecated APis then the driver won't work. This won't affect most folks honestly and when you do an upgrade it should call out which apps/drivers won't work and ask you to uninstall them.

Originally Posted by topEND
do you think it could be that the USB on my computer are 3.0 and the Openport is 2.0 that there conflecting
Its backward compatible AFAIK so that shouldn't be the issue.

go to the charms bar and click search. start typing "turn windows.." into the search bar. click Setting (under the search bar), then click "turn windows features on or off"(attached pic below). once that screen loads, click the drop down (little plus sign) for .NET framework 4.5 Advanced series and also the drop down for .NET Framework 3.5. THEN make the selections to match the ones in the attached image. once you do that, uninstall your current version of ecuflash, go into program files and delete the whole OpenECU folder. then go and the EcuFlash BETA and install that and give it a go. let me know how it goes.
A quicker way to do this is when you open the charms bar click on Control Panel->Programs->Turn Windows Features on or off

Note that adjusting the .Net installation options is only necessary since one of the flashing/logging programs (don't remember which) needs .Net 2.0 which is only installed with .net 3.5 and thus is not installed with Win 8 out of the box. That would stop the program from working but not prevent the drivers from working. If anything these steps most likely work because of the last step where ECUflash is uninstalled/re-installed

Last edited by codgi; Dec 12, 2012 at 08:43 AM.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:03 PM

I've tried above, drivers don't work. Guess its back to Windows 7. Pitty I was rather enjoying Windows 8.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DarkerStars
I've tried above, drivers don't work. Guess its back to Windows 7. Pitty I was rather enjoying Windows 8.
it works fine in windows 8 now with the new release.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 09:33 PM

I have the new release, 1.44.3719. Drivers fail instantly on Tactrix OP Install. Every time.

Hmm... Ok well just installed it on my desktop pc right after I posted this, which is the same copy of Windows 8 x64 and it installed. Da Fack! Right after my last post where I downloaded it and installed it, it failed, so I installed Windows 7 x64 back on my laptop.

Figures they release an update within seconds of me installing windows 7.

***edit again***
Ok just reinstalled Windows 8 on the laptop and the Tactrix Installs. Thx for posting that up. I also confirm it works.

Last edited by DarkerStars; Jan 1, 2013 at 10:23 PM.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 06:06 AM

It Works Now with the New Drivers

Quick Reply: Tactrix Won't Install on Windows 8