Notices

TephraXMOD V2

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2014 | 01:56 PM

sub'd. patiently waiting for 2012 GSR ROM... and mods to tune for.
Old Mar 25, 2014 | 08:58 PM

Tephra, do you know how far away the sst roms are from completion. I am hoping to have my car tuned by Steve Knight for dual maps while i am away on holiday in mid May/June, and would like to have everything organised before I head off. My rom is a 56920008. Thanks in advance mate
Old Mar 25, 2014 | 09:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bellacotim
Off topic, but it's an Evoscan issue. Easy fix is to have Evoscan extract both odd and even data from these requests: input shaft, slip, pressure and clutch temp. Today, for example, if you want odd clutch temp, Evoscan does a query saves the odd temp then discards the even temp. Later you request even clutch temp and it redoes the query. I tried to use its "CALC" function developed for RAX patch, but Evoscan treats bitfield values as unsigned. For SST values, it needs to cast as signed, otherwise the negative values are messed up.
Nah, the SST stuff is "CAN" request based. ECU variables are RAM-address-based (via mode23). RAX Fast Logging is still just mode23 style - just packed/packaged to avoid wasting space.

I don't believe the ECU gets to see all that CAN-based stuff, but I'd love to be wrong. If it did get CAN data, we could write ECU code to package it back up for logging mode23-style...

...which would mean things like the OP2.0 Standalone Logging being able to get hold of it. Standalone logging can't do CAN.

It's a big old bundle of incompatibility, eh. :P

Rich
Old Mar 26, 2014 | 06:38 PM
EvoM Guru

RE SST - its on my todo, i think i will have time to work on it soon, I am just working through the last set of bugs/feature requests for the live tuner... oh and trying to get the brakeboost on 2011+'s fixed as well...

re SST logging, yeh i asked colby to add in SST as a target, but he has lots of things to work on, and im not sure how much space is left in the OP20 for programming.. i think at the moment its probably not a huge requirement, but hey i dont have an SST so maybe im talking out of my butt!
Old Mar 26, 2014 | 07:21 PM

Thanks Tephra, worst scenario is I have it tuned for both and copy/paste the tune into the new version when it is done. When it's all released, I'll pm you with a payment. Thanks again
Old Mar 27, 2014 | 07:24 AM
Evolved Member

So what happens if your laptop dies or something during live tuning? ECU brick?

Just curious as my typical tuning session is Baka via teamviewer onto my computer, so I am sure he will be using live tuner next go around. Obviously as he is controlling my computer we don't need to worry about packet loss or anything on the web but still...just kind of curious.
Old Mar 27, 2014 | 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by richardjh
Nah, the SST stuff is "CAN" request based. ECU variables are RAM-address-based (via mode23). RAX Fast Logging is still just mode23 style - just packed/packaged to avoid wasting space.

I don't believe the ECU gets to see all that CAN-based stuff, but I'd love to be wrong. If it did get CAN data, we could write ECU code to package it back up for logging mode23-style...

...which would mean things like the OP2.0 Standalone Logging being able to get hold of it. Standalone logging can't do CAN.

It's a big old bundle of incompatibility, eh. :P

Rich
When EvoScan introducing the CALC operation in support of RAXPatch, is not hard to imagine CALC's use in other places. If only you can cast the data when you unpack the bits.
Old Mar 27, 2014 | 07:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by murlo26

Just curious as my typical tuning session is Baka via teamviewer onto my computer, so I am sure he will be using live tuner next go around. Obviously as he is controlling my computer we don't need to worry about packet loss or anything on the web but still...just kind of curious.
I'll answer since tephra is probably sleeping.

I've been using/testing live tuning for tephra for few weeks. What I know happens is when in Live Tuning mode it uploads the tables to memory address spacing and you edit the live tables that way. While it's doing this its modifying the matching tables in the ROM file locally. To use his LiveTuner it has to open the ROM that is currently flashed to the ECU. So if an interruption took place (connection/crash/laptop die etc) the locally stored ROM still contains the changes that were done up to that point. If the car is shut off the ECU still contains the original unmodified ROM information so it would be in the same state before the live tuning session.

After live tuning you open the ROM in ECUFlash and it reports a checksum error and asks to correct it which is normal. Once ECUFlash corrects the checksum you flash the ROM to the ECU making the changes live tuning performed permanent.
Old Mar 27, 2014 | 01:37 PM
EvoM Community Team

Here I am loaded down with work and I totally missed that the ROM was out there in the wild and not just in my little test basket . Thanks as always Tephra!

This ROM is really slick everyone. Great mod for your car!

Originally Posted by momostallion
need an idea for V3?

create a basic rev match feature for GSRs.

calculate current gear using rpm and speed.
if there is a trigger for brakes or clutch depressed (or both), use that to identify and assume a pending downwards rev match.
use current speed to project the new RPM for 1 gear down.
use TPS to hold RPM so when the clutch is re-engaged, perfect rev match!
I had this idea for V7 on the CT9A and its totally on one of the roms for the BRZ/FT-86. I had it really well documented and mapped in the V7 thread, but I think it was ahead of its time without a electronic throttle body. It was even before synchro rev match on the 370z.

I'd like to think that the Subie tuner copied my idea, but I'll lay quiet and think that once it was in the Ethos they came to the same conclusion on their own thought path.

Originally Posted by tephra
yeh ive been thinking about that as well...

i actually wanted to see if i could reuse the sst logic... not sure thou
That would be cool. One problem - the SST ecu probably knows gear and which gear is intended. Our ECU doesn't. I'd take a look to see if there's anything useful though!

Originally Posted by momostallion
since you have given the evo world 9 maps, how about being able to use 1 of them for an 'Economy Mode' via a fuel savings feature (ecu hack) implemented by modifying the input voltage of the front oxygen sensor.
This is an old idea, but it basically doesn't work. Narrowband sensors are way too sharp on that parabolic voltage curve. MrFred did a similar mod to simulate narrowband input based on wideband input, but it was a pretty large project from a code standpoint and my evo IX never really liked it all that much (and I never really saw much of a gas savings from what I remember). I'm not saying that its impossible or will never work, but I don't think its as rockstar of an idea as it looks like on the surface.

Originally Posted by itzwolf
I'll answer since tephra is probably sleeping.

I've been using/testing live tuning for tephra for few weeks. What I know happens is when in Live Tuning mode it uploads the tables to memory address spacing and you edit the live tables that way. While it's doing this its modifying the matching tables in the ROM file locally. To use his LiveTuner it has to open the ROM that is currently flashed to the ECU. So if an interruption took place (connection/crash/laptop die etc) the locally stored ROM still contains the changes that were done up to that point. If the car is shut off the ECU still contains the original unmodified ROM information so it would be in the same state before the live tuning session.

After live tuning you open the ROM in ECUFlash and it reports a checksum error and asks to correct it which is normal. Once ECUFlash corrects the checksum you flash the ROM to the ECU making the changes live tuning performed permanent.
That is correct as far as I understand things.

----

For the guy suggesting a table of on/off values for the maps - you can set a maximum and the tach automatically wraps there and won't let you select more. So - only have 3 alt-maps? Set max to 3, then when you are cycling through and try to go to 4 the tach automatically wraps back down to 0.
Old Mar 27, 2014 | 02:29 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by murlo26

assuming the tune is safe you can drive around, if your worried you can just turn the car off for 30 seconds and it will boot up without the live tuned maps..

no bricking here
Old Mar 27, 2014 | 07:33 PM
Evolving Member

Any updates on the non-bench flash version of this yet? Don't really want to have to make the power supply stuff for the bench method.

Tephra I'm going to paypal you tomorrow for a 56890010 rom for 2011 GSR, correct me if I'm wrong but I will just end up using the 56890013 rom, right?
Old Mar 28, 2014 | 05:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mclaren
Any updates on the non-bench flash version of this yet? Don't really want to have to make the power supply stuff for the bench method.

Tephra I'm going to paypal you tomorrow for a 56890010 rom for 2011 GSR, correct me if I'm wrong but I will just end up using the 56890013 rom, right?
He may send you a 59580004 ROM like me, I have a 2011 and that's the ROM version I am currently on.

As far as the 12v power supply and building the cable was very very easy, it's really simpler than most think. I went the extra step and tore apart a Lexus wiring harness so I had an easy to plug in OBD2 connector to plug into my Tactrix cable. One day it would be nice to get the Evo ECU connector also.
Old Mar 28, 2014 | 05:20 AM
EvoM Guru

i actually have a proper 2011 USDM ROM ready as well.. just need some more testing done on it.. which RRE will/may be doing this coming week
Old Mar 28, 2014 | 05:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tephra
i actually have a proper 2011 USDM ROM ready as well.. just need some more testing done on it.. which RRE will/may be doing this coming week
David,

If you need a double check on that ROM I can test as well.
Old Mar 28, 2014 | 05:29 PM
Evolving Member

can there be open loop load parameters for each map? or a least 1 or a few.. this would enable a fuel economy map... basically on the fuel econ map, you would run in open loop and cruise at whatever afr you desired without o2 feedback...

last year I seen gains with holding a steady afr vs the ecu swinging the **** back and forth... i.e. 15.1 constant vs swing from 14.9 to 14.4...

currently the open loop load is global, so if you did this, every map would run open loop..

Quick Reply: TephraXMOD V2