Notices
ECU Flash

another lean spool question thread. sorry

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2014, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
another lean spool question thread. sorry

I was under the impression with lean spool disabled that my afr gauge on the log would follow the map pretty closely. Some have reported even exact matching numbers with map vs log from their wideband. I am seeing a 2 point difference in higher load cells and then in lower load cells it matches up almost exactly. I know lean spool is disabled because I did it in the periphery bits and also made the start and stop time 10k rpm and the temp for it 500* haha. There's no way lean spool is enabled but in the end of my log (3rd gear pull) its like the higher the load and rpm the more the afr wonders off from where the map numbers. Any ideas guys what's going on??? Thanks!!!
Old May 14, 2014, 01:22 PM

I believe there is an updated fuel pump relay. The stock one in mine was switched out because it was running lean under full boost.
Old May 14, 2014, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks but I run a full voltage rewire with an aeromotive 340 so its not the relay.
Old May 14, 2014, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
You need to start adjusting the MAF AFR Matching Coeff. table to get a good match across the Airflow Hz range. The top end is frequently out.
Old May 14, 2014, 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

That's where I'm having issues. I'm running tephra v7. Merlin could you please pm me some suggestions more specifically where to start. I'm not looking for charity here so if you can help me clean up this issue ill even throw you some Paypal love. Thanks, Jason.
Old May 14, 2014, 05:12 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
I think if you start messing with the maf hz / comp tables this is how people are accomplishing that. Of course you are needing to scale your hz table much higher. I haven't done this myself but the original maf scaling threads from way back do have some direction to them

The factory tables are calibrated around stock everything. Just the basic intake tube and pre maf filter change will cause some change here.

Last edited by 211Ratsbud; May 14, 2014 at 05:19 PM.
Old May 14, 2014, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ACEvo714
I believe there is an updated fuel pump relay. The stock one in mine was switched out because it was running lean under full boost.
This isn't an X, there are no fuel pump relay issues on IX's.

OP, the values in the fuel map don't have to and generally don't match the actual AFR at that RPM/load. Nothing to get worried about. If you do want them to match, then yea, you'll need to play with MAF scaling.
Old May 14, 2014, 11:18 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks guys that's all great advice. I'm going to try and adjust my maf scaling per that thread on here and see what I can accomplish there. Merlin said since I'm running a 4.5" cone filter with a vibrant adapter and the stock accordion intake tube that the radiator fan blowing hot air over the filter is going to make scaling the maf a pita. Any advice or suggestions or a rough scaling as a starting point you guys could suggest please? Thanks.
Old May 15, 2014, 02:39 AM
Evolved Member

Its suggested to not adjust the scaling but to adjust the compensation (or it may be called smoothing) to get your WB to match the map. The compensation does not alter load. Scaling does. But I think scaling has a bigger effect. You'll also need to rescale it above 1600hz and get set up for 2 byte airflow logging.

With SD its a little easier because you also have the RPM VE tables to help get it dialed in above 1600hz (fwiw...I hit 1600hz at ~4800rpm)

My WB is mostly within .1 of my fuel map using a combination of the MAF compensation and RPM VE tables, with some slight tweaks to the low end of MAF scaling to maintain normal smooth curves everywhere.

edit: and turn lean spool back on! Its great!

Last edited by charlie.tunah; May 15, 2014 at 02:43 AM.
Old May 16, 2014, 02:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
What charlie said above. Changing the scaling will alter the load reading - leave it alone and tune the smoothing/compensation table.

You can change the table axis, but i have never found the need to do it.
But, we mostly do not use really big turbos here, so that is likely the reason you would need to push it further. 2-byte Airflow Hz logging FTW.