Notices
ECU Flash

some tuning questions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2014, 07:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
some tuning questions

So I've been doing a lot of logging and reading, trying to understand how to go about tuning my VII. Got a few questions.

1) I have a boost gauge but not one that I can log, and I don't plan on getting a MAP sensor. So can based on the load graph attached I'm assuming that I hit peak boost at around 3700 rpm. According to tuning guides I should setup for around 12.5-12 during spool up and quickly taper to around 11.5-11 by around 10psi. But since I'm not logging boost is there a load level that is analogous to 10psi? or is it not really a linear relationship between boost and load?

2) With the AFR log and map attached, say I want to lean out the area around 280 load from 4000 rpm onwards. On the map you can see that from 5500 rpm onwards it reads 10.5 in each cell but the log starts getting very rich after 5500. So to maintain 11.1 AFR to redline wouldn't that require me to make the higher rpm's leaner than the lower rpm's? I'm not sure if it is good practice to have a map that goes leaner as you move down a load column?
Attached Thumbnails some tuning questions-load-graph.jpg   some tuning questions-afr-map.jpg  
Old Oct 4, 2014, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
1) Load roughly correlates to the mass of air the engine is ingesting each cycle, so in this case, yes, your peak load is likely the point at which you reach peak boost. However, there isn't really a way to convert load to boost pressure.

2) It's fine to lean out your fuel map if that's what it requires to maintain the actual AFR you want.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Raptord!