Notices
ECU Flash

Evo 8 timing map questions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2016, 01:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Evo 8 timing map questions

What do your guys' timing maps look like? I'm just curious. I haven't tuned my car much, and I've had some issues with low power / no power / knock at low rpm when I open up the throttle. I am thinking it might be due to ignition timing. I recently went through and extrapolated the stock ignition map onto the larger tephramod v7 ignition map last night by hand. I noticed my map was a bit off here and there.

Here's a link to a Google Doc's copy of my High Octane Ignition Map that I extrapolated from the stock Ignition Map: High Octane Ignition Map
Old Apr 5, 2016, 05:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Map definitely does need some work, there's a few areas where timing should be increasing but it goes back down, then up again. Does it in a few areas of the map. I would work on getting that corrected first, and then you can work on tuning out the knock issues that you're having.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 06:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
To summarize.
When reading the table from top to bottom, your numbers should go positive.
Reading the table from left to right, your numbers should go negative.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 06:34 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks guys. Can either of you point me to a stock ignition map for tephramod v7?
Old Apr 7, 2016, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Download the latest tephra. Save it as another name. Open up, copy stock tables over.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 12:23 PM
Evolving Member

There are stock maps in the download? Man, duhhhhhh..... Thanks!
Old Apr 11, 2016, 06:58 AM
Evolving Member

I copied the stock ignition map from the latest tephramod v7 download over to my current tune and changed nothing else. I took it for a 30+ mile drive to work this morning, and much to my dismay I am still seeing major knock while building boost. I will provide as much information as I possibly can, but I would really appreciate someone taking the time to look this over and help me out. I've included both the raw log (.csv), and a formatted log file (.xlsx) that highlights the knock and a fuel cut issue I saw as well. If it's easier, here is a link to my logs on my Google Drive as well. Look at the logs with a date of 4/11 -Evo Logs

First, the knock issue. I think there are three instances in this log file (all highlighted in the Excel file). Knock count goes up into the high 20's...something is definitely wrong. The only thing I can notice here is that knock appears to start where the o2FeedbackTrim goes to 0. I assume this means it goes into WOT mode, right? AFR is rich, so I don't think that's causing knock. In the first knock instance, AFR starts around 13.9 and dips to 10.8 at the lowest. This is being logged from my AEM W/B. In the second knock instance, AFR dips down to 10.1 at the lowest. With all three instances, o2FeedbackTrim is 0 when the knock starts...I am not sure what this correlation means.

The other thing I noticed, and not sure how relevant it is, but the coolant temp stays under 200 for most of the trip, its over 40 minutes in to the drive where the temp pops up to 203. I just replaced my leaking Mishimoto radiator with a new one. I burped it the best I could, otherwise I don't know what would cause this.

Other things to mention about the car that might be relevant. Stock turbo, 850 FIC injectors, 255 wally, mbc, 18psi wga, 3" exhaust, no A/C, no emissions equipment, evo 9 bov, Mishimoto FMIC, hard LICP, stock UICP.

Now the last thing I noticed that was strange this morning was I got a decent 2nd gear pull, or started to, and seemed to hit fuel cut?! You can see in the Excel log, the last set of highlighted rows, on line 16032 injector pulse width and duty cycle hit 0. Not sure what's happening here.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated guys. I've been helped by good guys on the forum in the past and I'm hoping it can happen again!
Attached Files